UKC

NEWS: Mystery Crag - Your Help Needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

It doesn't really look like any sandstone in the UK, even Northumberland, does it? I feel if it were in Northumberland it would be identified very quickly. It also looks very wild, with no trace of paths or fences at the top or bottom. I suspect it's somewhere like Australia.
 mlt 01 Apr 2009

Orkney?

Route 1 is April
Route 2 is twit

Nice one

M
 catt 01 Apr 2009

It looks very grassy to me, as if it gets plenty of rain. And possibly granite?
 Chris the Tall 01 Apr 2009
Looks out of this world.....
 schloosh 01 Apr 2009

I was there at the weekend, doing some bouldering.

took this pic:

http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn14609/dn14609-1_800.jpg

took a while to drive home like.
 jon 01 Apr 2009
In reply to Mark Glaister:

Being a cynical bastard, I tend to side with you Mark.
 Hugh Cottam 01 Apr 2009

You missed a route up the right arete - "Work, Rest and Play" (Lots of E numbers)
 Chris F 01 Apr 2009
In reply to schloosh: Supersleuth!
 fimm 01 Apr 2009

Now that's a good one - there were clues in the route names...
 KeithW 01 Apr 2009
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> I suspect it's somewhere like Australia.

You got that right.
 tony 01 Apr 2009
In reply to KeithW (LMC):

Bet you can't get Vegemite quite so easily!
 toad 01 Apr 2009
In reply to Alan James - UKC: I'm suprised they got UK grades, the majority were put up by an american, John Carter, in the early 20th century. Impressive for nailed boots. D Thoris was his partner for most of them
 schloosh 01 Apr 2009
In reply to Hugh Cottam:

Genius!
 Jonny2vests 01 Apr 2009

Troll Wall?
rob sykes 01 Apr 2009

were routes put up by the crag's very own ben moon?
 Mark Warwicker 01 Apr 2009
Brilliant Alan! Thanks for cheering up a morning in the office when I'd much rather be outside. Although I might well struggle to get back from this crag before tea.

Mark.
Derbyshire Ben 01 Apr 2009

Very good. When I saw this picture last year I had the same idea and then forgot. You've obviously been sitting on it until today.. well done!
 DrIan 01 Apr 2009
I think these routes may need down grading. At that location and altitude the the affect of gravity is quite a bit less and airs pretty thin so its going to be a lot easier to haul yourself up compared to somewhere like Stanage.

Though i suppose you have to counter that with the extra weight and hinderance of an appropriate 'expedition suit' to combat the thin air and cold etc.
 JLS 01 Apr 2009

The best of the bunch IMHO.

Ok, I admit it, it had me going until I read a few of the more obvious April Fool threads which gave me cause to reassess a few threads...
 krikoman 02 Apr 2009
In reply to DrIan: It's a long walk in though
 Grit Wraith 04 Apr 2009
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Was that adjusted back to natural colour from NASAs 'natural color'. After all we all know there is grass on Mars!

At first I was trying to see sheep in the very top of the picture, they must be the Martian Bigfoot.
 ericinbristol 04 Apr 2009

The most entertaining one of the year - witty, well done. And quality follow on posts too...
 BrainoverBrawn 05 Apr 2009
In reply to Alan James - UKC: It looks like a crag fairly opposite Gruinard Island, n.West Scotland and considering the anthrax tests perhaps people stopped using it for a while and as it looks good I can confirm people do use it today.
 Dave C 05 Apr 2009
In reply to jambojim: Oh goodness I do hope you are kidding around here! If not, did you read the rest of the thread?
 BrainoverBrawn 05 Apr 2009
In reply to Dave C: Oh yeah, just looked at bigger photo. Bows out the door.
 Will Hunt 20 Apr 2009

Yeah yeah, I read National Geographic too. I have to admit that when I first saw the picture I looked for the lines.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...