UKC

Best climbing shop in Greater Manchester?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chewie 01 Apr 2009
What do people think is the best climbing shop in the Greater Manchester area? I've always had a soft spot for Alpenstock myself.
 Cordy 01 Apr 2009
In reply to Chewie:

Alpenstock is ok I guess but it depends what exactly you're after. For the biggest range of actual climbing hardware you're talking Brighams / TNF Deansgate / Cotswold.

But what about the best customer service and advice?
 Henry Iddon 01 Apr 2009
In reply to Chewie:

Another vote for Alpenstock
 Dan Lane 01 Apr 2009
In reply to Chewie:

Yep, Alpenstock all the way, very helpful staff and the give discounts for pretty much everything (including the member of staff simple being happy sometimes!).

Dan
 Cordy 02 Apr 2009
In reply to Chewie:

Although for downright stonkin' bargains you can't beat Go Outdoors! Don't expect much advice though...
 gingerwolf 02 Apr 2009
In reply to Chewie: I agree - for bargains you definitely want Go Outdoors!
amf37 02 Apr 2009
In reply to Chewie:
Are Alpenstock still there? That's great. Surely one of the longest surviving independent stores? And the best named. I got my first bit of climbing gear, a new fangled size 7 wallnut on cord, 20 years ago...
 steveshaking 02 Apr 2009
In reply to Chewie: There is also Mountain Feet in Oldham (used to be Paul Braithwaites). The stock is OK (not vast), but anything ordered very quickly and the staff are very active and experienced in the climbing scene.
Steve
 Dan Lane 02 Apr 2009
In reply to amf37:

Yes alpenstock are still there and i think it is the same person that owns it.

Dan
 CarolineMc 02 Apr 2009
In reply to amf37: Soon to be 30 years. Can't be many that have been around that long, surely? C-:
 Cordy 04 Apr 2009
In reply to dan lane:

Yeah it's the orginal couple (or certainly the lady) that own it.

Brighams have been around for over 75 years now! And it's still the original Ellis Brighams sons and grandsons that run it. So that must be the longest running in Manc, if not the UK?
 link 04 Apr 2009
In reply to dan lane:
> (In reply to Chewie)
>
> (including the member of staff simple being happy sometimes!).

Which is always of course
 sutty 04 Apr 2009
In reply to Cordy:

Bob Brigham took over his fathers shop at 18 when his father died. That would be about 1957, 52 years ago. One member of his original staff from Cathedral street was still working for him till at least last year and is as old as me.
 butteredfrog 04 Apr 2009
In reply to Chewie: Fell and Mountain in Accrington, its only twenty five mins up the road
 Dan Lane 04 Apr 2009
In reply to link:

Absaloutly!!! (sp?)

Dan
 BigHell 04 Apr 2009
In reply to Chewie:

Campcraft in Bolton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...