UKC

West Highland Way - footwear ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 01 Apr 2009
Doing part of the WHW soon, from Fort William down to Loch Lomond, and wondering what footwear to go with - trainers or boots ?

The path is fairly well constructed, is not a boggy mess so thinking trainers may be the way forward, but it is Scotland so they may get wet, and boots do offer greater ankle support on the rough ground.

What do people who have done this walk recommend ?
In reply to subtle: are you doing just to the northern end of Loch Lomond or walking alongside it. the part alongside the loch is decent ankle turning territory IMO. lots of up/down over rocks/tree routes etc, i was glad of boots for that section when i did it.
 Alyson 01 Apr 2009
In reply to subtle: I did the first two day in boots which I hadn't worn in. Not recommended! Then I did the next 5 days in trainers which weren't waterproof. Not recommended either.

If I were walking it again I'd probably do the whole route in good approach/trail shoes like my Merrell Chameleons.
 Banned User 77 01 Apr 2009
In reply to subtle: Trainers. It's mainly good paths, very good paths at that. The roughest part of the track is Beinglas farm to Rowardennan. There is very little rough ground.
OP subtle 01 Apr 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to subtle) Trainers. It's mainly good paths, very good paths at that. The roughest part of the track is Beinglas farm to Rowardennan. There is very little rough ground.

Indeed, thats why I think trainers are the way to go.

Thanks for all the responses.
johnSD 01 Apr 2009
In reply to subtle:

Trainers, and you can take Sealskinz or similar waterproof socks in case it is very wet.
 JLS 01 Apr 2009
In reply to subtle:

>"What do people who have done this walk recommend ?"

Trainer would be fine for 90% if it's dry but that's a big if.

Ideally you want a very comfortable soft boot I'd be wearing Goretex fabric style boots but I'd rather risk trainers than wear big heavy boots.
 Billy the fish 01 Apr 2009
In reply to subtle: We used gortex lined boots for the West Highland Way; which was useful because it rained so much and most of the paths were flowing with water. The paths were well made though so trainers would have been good if it was dry.

Some pics and blog here may give you an idea of what to expect. http://www.harryrabbit.co.uk/whw/day0.htm
 SFM 01 Apr 2009
In reply to subtle:

I did the Loch Lomond side stretch yonks ago and wished that I was wearing wellies. It was a muddy trench for most of it due to the incessant rain we had.

Gore tex boots would be my preference if doing it again.
Stakhanovite 01 Apr 2009
In reply to subtle: Not doing the Caledonian Challenge are you?
 pigeonjim 01 Apr 2009
In reply to subtle:
Use a bike that is what we are doing over Easter weekend

Failing that wear good 3/4 season boots.
 petestack 01 Apr 2009
In reply to JLS:
> Trainer would be fine for 90% if it's dry but that's a big if.

Trainers are fine for 100% and dry again if they get wet.
 Martin Brown 02 Apr 2009
In reply to petestack:

I would go with Wellies for the muddy wet bits
Early in the season it will be damp and soggy
Martin
 petestack 02 Apr 2009
In reply to Martin Brown:

Which is partly why I observed that trainers both get wet and dry again...

But what would I know? I just live on the WHW and run on it regularly year round!
 MJH 02 Apr 2009
In reply to subtle: Trainers (take waterproof socks) or light boots. Good cushioning helps as most of the path from Loch Lomond north to Ft William is good but hard.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...