UKC

sleeping bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sankster 04 Apr 2009
Hi all, I need a good four season sleeping bag and am wanting advice on the down Vs synthetic debate. I know that down is warmer gram for gram, but needs to be kept dry. What's your opinion on what's best? its for camping, bivvies etc and I'd like the comfort rating to go down to -12
Cheers x
 fishy1 04 Apr 2009
In reply to sankster: Down all the way. Get any sleeping bag wet, and it wont keep you warm at -12C very much. It's comfy, lighter, and generally awesome.
In reply to sankster: sadly i have never had the pleasure of a down sleepingbag, one day though, i might.

i have a snugpack at the minute, great but i've had it a few years so i've recently been using it with a cotton liner and its fine.

when i get a bit more of the old dosh i might be able to start looking for a new sleepingbag, but at the minute its nice and comfortable, especailly with summer arriving!
In reply to sankster: I'd be tempted by the Alpkit Pipedream and a bivy bag if you're really worried about it getting wet. Put the whole lot into a drybag for travelling.
 petestack 04 Apr 2009
In reply to fishy1:
> Down all the way.

Avoid down and go for good quality, lightweight synthetic...

Now decide who's right (we could both be)!

Stewpot 04 Apr 2009
In reply to sankster:

Some interesting articles from Mr Kirkpatrick on this very subject:

http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/site/articles

I'm looking at the PD400 from Alpkit too. Heard lots of good things about them and I really like the company and the kit I've purchased from them before.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...