UKC

Washed my compass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 owlart 05 Apr 2009
Despite checking my pockets, I've just managed to put my compass through the wash at 40 degrees C! It's a Silva "Starter", and is years old! It still appears to point in the same direction. Is it time to replace, or will it still be fine, do people think?
 saz_b 05 Apr 2009
In reply to owlart:

Hmm, thinking out loud:

The magnetic needle will not have been affected, but the water may make the pin/needle corrode/rust that might make it sticky and not free to rotate - that could cause a problem.

But having said that, I assume that most compasses are fairly water-tight (would be a useless compass after one rain shower otherwise), so perhaps not a problem at all.

Anyone - Is there a BS standard that these are made to, and if so what water pressures these might be tested to?

Owlart - sorry not to directly answer your question with a yes/no
 bouldery bits 05 Apr 2009
In reply to owlart:

Should be ok.
 streapadair 05 Apr 2009
In reply to owlart:

Your compass dial is filled with liquid anyway (dilute alcohol??) in order to dampen the movement of the needle, so you can wash it as much as you like.
 jamestheyip 06 Apr 2009
In reply to streapadair:

From my memory the liquid is refined paraffin oil. Old compasses might eventually develop a small air bubble inside. I wouldn't worry about it unless the needle is not pointing north anymore!
 George Fisher 06 Apr 2009
In reply to owlart:

Simple test to check.

Pack a small bag with some sandwiches and a spare pair of pants.

Follow the red pointy bit on the compass.

If you end up in northern Scotland it's working fine.
OP owlart 06 Apr 2009
In reply to all: Thanks folks, looks like I won't get to repalce it with a shiney new one then!
 richprideaux 06 Apr 2009
In reply to owlart:
You could justify it with the fact that you have just put it in a big metal drum next to a rather chunky motor/magnet inside a big metal box. Then span it around and around.... may point in the same direction roughly but damned good chance it's not exactly the same one!
 jkarran 06 Apr 2009
In reply to owlart:

I'd be surprised if it's taken any measurable harm from the experience. Has the legend been washed off the dial, that happened to mine over the years?

If you want a new one, just buy it

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...