UKC

Wierd foot pain - possible tendon injury?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dsh 08 Apr 2009
Today and yesterday wearing my rock shoes gave me an excrutiating pain on the back of my right foot between the bit of the achilles that sticks out and my heel. It feels wierd to press on and although it doesn't hurt to press on now it did earlier. I had to climb earlier in one trainer and one rock shoe and that didn't hurt. I thought it was just some inflamed skin or maybe a bruise but my housemate who is a 3rd year physio student reckons it could be a tendon injury although she only had a quick look.

I am meant to be going to Wales for a few days tomorrow and since it doesn't hurt now I'm thinking about risking it but don't want to do any lasting damage if it is a tendon injury. Has anyone on here ever experienced similar?
ruttingstag 08 Apr 2009
In reply to uberdan: Try seeing if it hurts when you put your rock shoes or walking boots on. May not hurt when you have nothing on your feet or when wearing trainers but just see if those rock boots aggravate it.
OP dsh 08 Apr 2009
In reply to uberdan:

Yep hurts with a rock shoe on, sort of at the back and to the right a bit, almost where the top of the shoe is.
 Timmd 08 Apr 2009
In reply to uberdan:It does sound a bit like your achilies is being agravated by your rock boot,appart from that i havn't a clue. Maybe you could buy some Guide Tennies to go climbing in on the way to Wales?

Cheers
Tim
sankster 08 Apr 2009
In reply to uberdan:
If you had a tendon injury it would hurt over that point on flexion and extention of the foot (ie pointing your toes) all the time. If it only hurts when the shoes are on then it must be the shoes, and wont be the tendon. The achilles tendon is difficult to damage. Just try and get different shoes, or put up with the pain and it should go once you stop using the shoes for a bit. x
OP dsh 08 Apr 2009
In reply to sankster:

I've had the rock boots for ages, they've always been fine.
sankster 09 Apr 2009
In reply to uberdan:
mm, strange. Still won't be the tendon if it doesn't hurt without the boots. Not long-term damage, anyway. Still might be a good excuse for new shoes? It could've been inflamming the tendon insertion point but if its going away easily just take anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen) the whole time, and use ice each night to soothe. or cover the area.
Does it feel "deep" or superficial?
OP dsh 09 Apr 2009
In reply to sankster:

Cheers I'll try what you said, will have to wait till the morning to get some ibprofen, the pain is a bit more superficial than deep so tht's why I initially thought it might be a bruise or the skin aggravated but I can't see any external symptoms.
sankster 09 Apr 2009
In reply to uberdan:
Take painkillers with you, enjoy wales....good luck!
 TeaGirl 09 Apr 2009
In reply to sankster:
> (In reply to uberdan)
> just take anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen) the whole time

Great advice from the NHS there!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...