UKC

NEW REVIEW: La Sportiva Trango Extreme Evo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 09 Apr 2009
[Testing the Evo Extreme on a WI5 in La Grave, 1 kb]With "Extreme" and "Evo" in their name I was expecting big things from La Sportiva's lightweight mountain boots.

Hopefully they'd have me climbing harder and faster than ever before! I've never really enjoyed wearing heavy, clumpy boots as I've been unable to find anything with both all day comfort for walking and pleasing technical credentials for climbing.

However the Trangos sounded like they may just fit the bill being dubbed as, "waterproof, lightweight, insulated and high performance." In fact I was worried I might not measure up!

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1782
 Morgan Woods 09 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Kevin thanks for that.....but just wondering how they keep your feet bone dry yet you said you put wet boots on one morning. granted i wouldn't expect any boots to stay dry after a day or two in scotland.
 TobyA 10 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: Looks like you had some great days in them Kevin! I have the previous version which doesn't have the insulation ( http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3bhSo6922y4/SXybESRkQCI/AAAAAAAABUA/l5h_5XuijM8/s... ). I wrote some thoughts on them when I first got them here which compare their fit to the Nepal Extremes: http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.com/2006/11/sunday-climbing-post-and-gear... This might be useful info for some.

I'm glad you found them good in Scotland. I did virtually all my Scottish climbing in the plastic boot era and somehow always thought I get cold feet in leathers. I've climbed a few routes there since in Nepal Extremes without huge problems so next time I get the chance I might be brave and try the Trangos!

Have you had much sole wear? They look so thin. I do very little walking in mine as the cliffs are all so close to the road, and the walking you do is generally only on snow, so mine still look new after two years. But I imagine a few treks up the alt-a-Mhulin path could wear them down.
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby

Thanks for the link.

So far the sole is look pretty much as good as new. That might be a different story after a couple of seasons mind.

I'll let you know how they go.

I was a little dubious when I got the Trango's that they may not be substantial enough but I don't think I'll be turning back now that I've used them.

Cheers

Kevin
 Matt Buchanan 11 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Pair of these boots size 47.5 in the classifieds if anyone fancies them!

Cheers,
Matt
 LukeO 14 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Very keen to get some of these boots but get the impression they have been discontinued by La Sportiva. I live in Switzerland and they are no longer in the Summer 09 catalogue. Is this right? It would be a shame as they look like perfect lightweight summer alpine boots for mixed Ds etc.

Luke
 shane54 23 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

I've got the yellow earlier versions. They are a great boot. Very light and comfortable and I feel very comfortable rock climbing in them. The only thing that does worry me is the durability and depth of the tread.

I've been living in London for the past couple of years so I never get to put these boots on as much as i would like. They have done five weeks in the alps and about two weeks in scotland and yet the wear at the front of the boot in line with the big toe is very noticeable. Admittedly, those five weeks were spent climbing alpine rock ridges without crampons, still, I expect a boot to last a little longer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...