UKC

Manchester Climbing Walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex Pryor 17 Apr 2009
I'm starting a new job in Manc on Monday. Would be interested in visiting the walls there. Which is the best? And anybody available for climbing mid-week evenings? (I climb around 6a/b indoors)
GreeyPilgrim 17 Apr 2009
In reply to Alex Pryor:

pm'ing you....
 gingerwolf 17 Apr 2009
In reply to Alex Pryor: Manchester climbing walls is good
so is warrington
personally i prefer stockport - awesome walls
or if you feel strong, true, rock-like bouldering, try broughton http://broughtonpower.wetpaint.com/ in Salford
=)
In reply to Alex Pryor:

I think they've all got their own pros and cons...

Awesome Walls (AW): Located in Stockport (approx. 7miles from Manchester according to Google map, guess it'll depend which area of Manchester you're travelling from to get to the wall), close to the Peak District so a great indoor venue if it starts to rain whilst you're climbing outdoors. Boasts the highest (23.5m) wall in England. Has some excellent problems at all grades, some were set by "celebrity" climbers (apologise if that’s not the correct term to use!) such as Ian Vickers, Jamie Casidy, & James Pearson. Good bouldering, traversing, campus and finger board. Has a cafe, facilities for children parties (away from the cafe areas) free secure parking facilities and usual facilities (lockers, toilets, showers, etc)

Manchester Climbing Centre (MCC): Located closer to the city centre (approx 2miles from Manchester according to Google map), again excellent routes at all grades set by celebrity climber Dave Barran and is run by John Dunne. The main 20m lead wall is overhanging (which makes it slightly more interesting to climb on than vertical, to me anyway, no doubt some will disagree!) Good bouldering, traversing and campus board, the place has an excellent cafe WITH a proper coffee machine, facilities for children parties (away from the cafe areas) plus a good size climbing shop, free secure parking facilities, and a fitness room (very impressive!) and again all the other usually facilities (lockers, toilets, showers, etc)

Overall I don’t think one is better than the other, both are excellent in their own rights, both complements the needs of climbers in the area at every level.

Never been to Broughton… However, I’ve heard it’s a good bouldering venue and it’s the place to go to get strong!

Salford University Wall: Small wall, pretty basic, however they’ve made use of the very small area they’ve been given. It’s not a dedicated climbing centre but located in their sports centre, I’ve been a couple of times just for a change of scenery and to try out routes that have been set slightly differently.

Chille Factor: Based in Trafford. Again haven’t been on this wall, have seen it many a times when I’m in the building. Personally I would go to either AW or MCC, but having never climbed any of the routes at this wall I can’t comment too much. I get the impression it’s not really aimed at climbers (potential climbers perhaps or those who just want to “have a go” at climbing)

Enjoy the climbing, no doubt I'll see you down at the wall some time!
 James Oswald 19 Apr 2009
In reply to Butterfly with a Bomb:
Hmmm I never knew Pearson had set at AW.....
 James Oswald 20 Apr 2009
In reply to Alex Pryor:
Whereabouts is this fitness room? What does it contain?
Not been MCC in a while.
James
In reply to james oswald:

>>Pearson

Hmmm, perhaps I'm mistaken on that then (will double check next time I'm there... I don't really climb there often now since I'm in The Lake District Mon-Fri)... Perhaps when you're in at AW next time you can enlighten us on this?

MCC "fitness room" it's to the left of the toilets. Off the top of my head it has various gym equipment... Not everyones cup of tea but it is available.

So, in response to the original question, what's your (James) view/comments on "Manchester's" climbing Walls?

Ah ha, it just came to me, Jason Pickles is the other guy I was thinking of, guess I was close since both have the same initials! Plus not forgetting AW also has James Garden!

I'm guessing James Oswald that your lack of response to the original question and only pointing out that I'd mistakenly noted Pearson & not Pickles, slightly suggest you're one of those boring "UKC members" that have a very dull habit of pointing out errors in threads? If you read through this reply you could perhaps reply back with any other further errors, eg spelling mistakes?
 James Oswald 21 Apr 2009
In reply to Butterfly with a Bomb:
Yes I was also busy all tonight and will answer the proper question in the morning. Sorry I was merely surprised to hear about James Pearson setting at AW and wanted to knowif he had!
Chill out.

>>Sorry I was merely surprised to hear about James Pearson setting at AW and wanted to know if he had!

I ended up contacting AW to see who had set them (it had been bugging me all day as to who set them!)

>>Chill out

lol, if I became anymore more chilled out, you'd have to defrost me :oP
In reply to Alex Pryor: I've got a 13 week pass for MCC, £100, which makes it much easier to train. All the walls are good there and new routes are set on a regular basis. Fairly chilled out, although can be pretty competitive at time as you have the likes of James Pearson, John dunne and Dave Barrens climbing there. I've only been to AW a few times and its enjoyable to get on the big wall. Again its a really chilled atmosphere and i know a few guys who work there. Plus you get a free muffin or coffee after so many visits I think. Hope that helps. If you need someone to climb with at MCC give me a shout!
GreyPilgrim 21 Apr 2009
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay:

Actually, the free muffins / climbs / hot drinks ARE a nice little addition at AW Stockport
 jbird 22 Apr 2009
In reply to Butterfly with a Bomb: he's one of those dull UKCers;P
 idiotproof 22 Apr 2009
In reply to GreyPilgrim:
> (In reply to crag_hopper_Jay)
>
> Actually, the free muffins / climbs / hot drinks ARE a nice little addition at AW Stockport

Thought the original muffins were nicer. They seem to have resorted to cheaper/poorer quality muffins
In reply to jbird:

lol
 James Oswald 22 Apr 2009
In reply to jbird:
Haha :P
 Michael Ryan 22 Apr 2009
In reply to Alex Pryor:

For a listing of walls around Manchester, click on Classifieds in the top menu bar http://www.ukclimbing.com/listings/

Put in Indoor Walls and search by location: Manchester.

Then click on the classifieds ads below to get detailed info about each wall.

Mick
 jrk2673 23 Apr 2009
In reply to Alex Pryor: Stockport & MCC are both good and a bit of an obvious choice, personally I prefer Stockport also worth a look if you have transport is Rope Race in Marple, which is older but is friendly and has some good feature walls, a bigger shop than the others and a cafe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...