UKC

Jetboil or.................

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Daddio 27 Apr 2009
alternative. Small, packs neatly, fast, simple, quality.

Suggestions, recommendations gratefully recieved
 mux 27 Apr 2009
In reply to The Accused: Jet boil gets my vote ..
 SCC 27 Apr 2009
In reply to mux:

Jetboil not as fast as people seem to think. But I don't think the manufacturers claim it's fast..

Fast, small, light - Optimus Crux. Folds flat and stores in the base of the cannister.
Just add a titanium mug / kettle / whatever and a bit of foil for a windshield.

Jobsa a good 'un.

Si

Daddio 27 Apr 2009
In reply to SCC:

Hey Si

It's not the speed I'm after, more the neatness of it all.

I'm talking about a small, light, fresh brew on the crag, the occasional can of soup or pasta for lunch not the north face.

Paul F 27 Apr 2009
In reply to The Accused:

Vargo decagon stove (runs on meths) plus a Vargo Ti-Lite mug, You'll be pushed to find a smaller set up. Not cheap though.

http://www.hike-lite.co.uk/Other/Titanium+products.htm?osCsid=1492e2e687d63...
 S11 27 Apr 2009
In reply to The Accused: Have a look at the Primus Eta Express, details her http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=976 also many other reviews around if you google
In reply to The Accused:

> I'm talking about a small, light, fresh brew on the crag,

If all you want is a crag brew, I'd suggest a small Ti mug and a red bull meths burner (8g) and pan support (25g). Carry 30ml of meths in a little hotel shampoo bottle (30g), and it'll give you two 500ml brews. It should all pack down into the mug.

And if you make your own burner, you'll only have to buy the mug.

If you want pasta, you'll need to cook it for longer; go for cous-cous or instant noodles instead...
Paul F 27 Apr 2009
In reply to captain paranoia:
> (In reply to The Accused)
>

> And if you make your own burner,
>

Very 'Blue Peter', details here.

http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/html/drink_can_stove.html
 SCC 27 Apr 2009
In reply to The Accused:

I reckon that's where the Jetboil wins - neatness, all self contained etc.

Think as an off the shelf package, it's hard to beat for what you want.

Si
 SFM 27 Apr 2009
In reply to The Accused:

Pocket rocket and a titan pan. Very simple, can stash small gas and stove in pot. Boils water very quickly and you can use components seperately.

I really don't see the attraction of the jetboil other than it looks good.
 SFM 27 Apr 2009
In reply to The Accused:

Roughly similar in price too(~£50). Jet boil maybe slightly more expensive.
 winhill 27 Apr 2009
In reply to The Accused:

Surely it's difficult to justify the extra weight of a jetboil or system stove, or are you just digging it out of the car?
Suze6 27 Apr 2009
In reply to SFM:

Agreed.

I use a MSR Titanium Kettle and a Pocket Rocket. Can fit a small gas can and essential tea making kit into kettle and pocket rocket just pops anywhere in bag.
Boils very fast as kettle lid fits tight and then can pour without removing.
 Glen 27 Apr 2009
In reply to SFM:

The attraction is the efficiency. Due to the upright design, heat exchanger and insulation, it's very efficient. 1 of the tiny gas canisters that fits inside will do 2 people for a couple of days.
 SFM 27 Apr 2009
In reply to Glen:

Same with the pocket rocket. Bit of thick tinfoil as a windshield if needed.
Never use the jetboil so don't know exactly what the difference in gas use would be.

Perhaps we should have a "stove off" to find out ;O)
Daddio 27 Apr 2009
In reply to winhill:

Weights not an issue, I'm a pack horse, load me up and I'll plod along all day, it's all about simple, neat and small not light.

Thanks for the assist people.

In reply to The Accused:

Well if weight's not an issue, why mess about with these titchy things, I want a full hob enough to cook the bacon sarnies too, and a mini fridge for cold drinks and ice creams, a smoothie maker, cuddly toy.....
Daddio 27 Apr 2009
In reply to Ava Adore:

No probs, I weight train regular haulling you up most routes any way ya wimp!

Quick someone run a diversion for me before she who must be beats the crap out of me with a teflon coatted weapon

Glen 27 Apr 2009
In reply to SFM:

According to the manufacturers specs, a pocket rocket will boil 16L of water on a 227g cartridge.
A jetboil will do 27.5L with the same amount of gas.

If you bear in in mind that the jetboil is also more a little less affected by wind due to the heat exchanger, and the fact you don't need to heat up drinks as much (as they stay hot a long time in the insulated mug/pot), then you will probably use only about 1/2 the gas with a jetboil as you would with a pocket rocket.
 cfer 27 Apr 2009
Titan pan 20 pounds
Pocket rocket 22 pounds

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/2773

http://www.penrithsurvival.com/penrith_survival/88888/mia/d/msr+pocket+rock...

quite a bargain I think, and they work really well.
 winhill 27 Apr 2009
In reply to Glen:
> (In reply to SFM)
>
> According to the manufacturers specs, a pocket rocket will boil 16L of water on a 227g cartridge.
> A jetboil will do 27.5L with the same amount of gas.
>
> If you bear in in mind that the jetboil is also more a little less affected by wind due to the heat exchanger, and the fact you don't need to heat up drinks as much (as they stay hot a long time in the insulated mug/pot), then you will probably use only about 1/2 the gas with a jetboil as you would with a pocket rocket.

Depends if you remember to shield the pocket rocket from the wind!

I think it's best to take untreated water to boil rather than just 60-70 degrees.

Bear in mind the pocket rocket plus gas plus pan weighs less than the jetboil plus gas and the efficiency is self-defeating!
 frost 27 Apr 2009
In reply to mux:
i'll second that. add the hanging kit and its the best stove on the market.
Daddio 27 Apr 2009
In reply to all:

What about the Primus ETAexpress thing?

1 litre pan, frying pan lid and wind shield all pack into the pot, and 20 quid cheaper than the jetboil.
In reply to The Accused: Having used a Pocket Rocket for stuff like the OMM and having just bought a Jetboil, I was slightly unimpressed with the jetboil...

1 Certainly no faster than Pocket Rocket
2 The drinking cup lid has a tendency to drip/spill the drink down the chin/chest
3 Kept on going out, despite being new out of the box with a new canister with no wind of note

I guess it's horses for course...

...if I was going uberlight, Pocket Rocket

...if I just wanted to make hot drinks, Pocket Rocket

...if weight and space less of an issue, Jetboil

In reply to The Accused:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
>
> No probs, I weight train regular haulling you up most routes any way ya wimp!
>
>
> Quick someone run a diversion for me before she who must be beats the crap out of me with a teflon coatted weapon
>
>

You only have to hang on to me 'cos you're such a GIRL you lace easy VS 5bs with so much gear, I'm knackered getting it all out.
LordFlashheart 27 Apr 2009
In reply to The Accused: I use an MSR SuperFly with the autostarter. It packs inside an aluminium bowl which, in turn, fits inside my MSR 1600ml pan.

The gas canister fits perfectly inside an Alpkit Mytimug (use a small piece of cardboard/paper to stop them from rattling).
Daddio 27 Apr 2009
In reply to Ava Adore:

ahem, I do my best, someone followed up a few minutes behind me and put in one more piece than me taking my record attempt!!

In reply to Paul F:

> Very 'Blue Peter', details here.

That's the sort of thing, although that is a rather crude version. Since you don't have to make it in the field, some more finesse can be used; tools, for instance, or simple thumb tacks.

For rather more detail and design ideas, try this monster thread:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/UTN/22261

more easily viewed (barring the first 65 posts) via the print thread interface:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/printthread.asp?UTN=22261&URN=5&...

For small mugs, I prefer my inverted conic red bull burners, since the flame is concentrated on the centre of the mug, rather than passing uselessly up the side in a more conventional design. A design template can be provided in PDF form...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...