UKC

Climbing Depot Update

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Depot Climbing 30 Apr 2009
premier post photo
Hi all.

A quick update on the Depot, whilst it's pouring down in Pudsey after this unusually long warm weather period. We opened our doors to the public on the 4th of April and had a queue of customers 10 minutes before our 10 o'clock opening, which was great! A big thanks to all the people who made this happen (Andy Chapman, Jamie Cassidy, John Beers from hang fast, Steve from Holdz, Dave Sutcliffe, Core, Slap and everyone else who helped with the build).

We've added to the circuits and due to customer demand we have set a black circuit of very hard problems, with a bottle of champaign for the first person who completes all the problems in a session. They are that hard -we are not known for giving away things for nowt in Yorkshire!

We are looking at resetting very shortly and pondered for sometime how we should do that, ie if we should change whole circuits, for example. We have decided that we will do a discrete area at a time, this way we can also move the volumes, so everyone gets some new problems and means that if people know which areas are changing at what date they can aim to get those tantalizing harder ones done! If any one has any views on this (or experiences of doing it) please let us know!

Our website will be getting a full overall soon, but in the meantime we do get quite a lot of questions about prices so just so that people know. It's £3.50 for the annual membership which knocks off a pound for the regular visit. At peak if you are a member it's £6.50 for adults, £5.50 for concession and £5 for under 16's. If you come off peak (before 4 on a weekday) it's £5 for adults, £4 for concession and £4 for under 16's. Concessions include students, unemployed and 16/17 year olds so £4 for a couple of hours any weekday feels like good value. We also offer annual membership from as little as £20 per month.

We have decorated our gym room and we are now waiting for the floor to go in, before a concept 2 rower, pull up bars, dip bars, barbels and dumbbells are added. So if anyone has any requests as to what they would like to see in a gym room please let us know and we'll see if we can accommodate.

If any one has any feedback on the above or "The Depot" please let us know.

Cheers The Depot team
In reply to Depot Climbing:

All good stuff, enjoyed my session down there yesterday as usual!

Ideas - maybe you could have a weight belt/jacket you can borrow as part of the training stuff? Oh, and a stopwatch for timing reps etc. would be great!

Any idea when phase two is going to open?
Sam L 01 May 2009
In reply to Depot Climbing: Will the normal entrance fee cover the gym? And a cross trainers would be pretty good in there, I find them good for low impact cv training.

Sam
 richardh 01 May 2009

it's a tough one, you either do an area at a time and put holes in all the circuits, or do a circuit at a time, but that'll give people who can't do that circuit nothing new.

maybe an area at a time, but change the whites much much more often as they'll get a clobbering from warm-ups and beginners.

as for the gym, it'd be great to have some one-ended dumbbells for wrist/forearm pronators

great effort so far though guys, nearly all problems top drawer, one vote for dismantling the barrel though, it finds me out all the time!
In reply to richardh:
To avoid putting holes in the circuits we would replace the problems in a way which maintained the number of problems in the original circuit. We are planning on replacing a large area at a time and not just one feature - creating lots of new problems in various styles.

With the gym area we are keen to offer a range of equipment which will enable cardio, strength and injury prevention training. One-ended dumbbells are a good suggestion and will supplement a range of dumbbells and barbells nicely.

Keep the suggestions coming....

The Depot Team
 Danny Mac 06 May 2009
In reply to Depot Climbing: A great venue and fantastic problems. I like the variety of walls from roofs to slabs and everything in between. The overhanging arete/prow is great as is the horrific mantle shelf problems. A superb effort.
As for the gym maybe an exercise bike or running machine to get warmed up on? Maybe that just works for me!
 santobugito 07 May 2009

Went last week for the first time and again last night, was impressed with the work so far, my indoor bouldering is cetainly improving with the range of routes. Can't wait until the work on phase 2 is complete.

I've put a review up here http://www.seanliquorish.co.uk/blog/?p=21
 wendys 07 May 2009

how about a wobbleboard and general information on training after injury (such as broken legs, dislocated elbows, tendonitis etc).

info on yoga/pilates techinques to improve climbing performace would also be good.
 Will Hunt 30 Jul 2009

For all the Depot fans out there this is the new roof section that is being built:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3488/3755604560_4a0dc353c8.jpg

Got given a quick tour today and everything is off the scale. Enormous roof, enormous woody. Even got a rack of campus boards! Keep an eye on this, when it goes off its going to be BIG!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...