UKC

spice of llanberis curry house.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balongworth 02 May 2009
I felt motivated to express my displeasure at the Spice of Llanberis curry house, I went on Thursday night after Crib Goch and it was a massive dissapointment, the curry was flavourless and not very spicy, The worst part however was the service, as we walked in the waiters try and stare you out, they take the order like kevin from kevin and perry, bring you half of it then laugh at you when you ask for the rest. on the whole a miserable experince from a bunch of miserable idiots, i would not suggest anyone frequent this vile little hovel!
 gethin_allen 02 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:
A fair point, I hate it when you get poor service because it costs nothing to be polite and informative, clear tables quickly, bring the food together, get the bill correct etc.

I wonder if the people at the restaurant would have given you better service if they knew you would go and review your experience for hundreds of potential customers to read.

At which point, would we get better service if we went in to restaurants and informed the staff that would be this?
 Doug 02 May 2009
In reply to balongworth: Fairly sure the awfulness of this 'restaurant' has been mentioned before - was without a doubt the worse place I ate on my last visit to N Wales
Chris Tan Ver. LI - On the Bog 02 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

Walk in, in a boisterous mood claiming to have done a new E8 in the Pass and you'll notice the difference.

They don't serve VD punters in there
Removed User 02 May 2009
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. LI - On the Bog:

If you want a good curry house in N Wales go to the one in LLanwrust (apologies for spelling) it is first rate both in food and service.

Gary.
Jason123 02 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

Undoubtedly the weakest curries I have ever experienced, very expensive.

Bulls Crack 02 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

Do you think good chefs would choose to move to Llanberis to share their mastery of Asian cuisine?
Chris Tan Ver. LI - On the Bog 03 May 2009
In reply to Removed User:

Friday nights in Llanrwrst - OMG! I thought I had expunged those nightmares from my memories
 Bulls Crack 03 May 2009
In reply to Doug:
> (In reply to balongworth) Fairly sure the awfulness of this 'restaurant' has been mentioned before - was without a doubt the worse place I ate on my last visit to N Wales

There is a very poor one in Conway too.
 Al Evans 03 May 2009
In reply to balongworth: You should try the ones in Spain, yeeeeuuuughh.
 Enty 03 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

There's a good one in El Paso - but the proprietor is from Pudsey so it's bound to be good.

Enty
 bryn 03 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

Have to agree with you the Llanberis curry house is not very good - especially when it is busy.

By far the best in the area is Sopna, which is on the Caernarfon from Llanberis a couple of miles down from Llanrug.
Ian Black 03 May 2009
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. LI - On the Bog:
> (In reply to Gary in Germany)
>
> Friday nights in Llanrwrst - OMG! I thought I had expunged those nightmares from my memories

Aye, its a lively wee place when the pubs empty.

Stav 03 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

Curry Houses??

You mean there are alternatives to Petes', and The Sh!tes?!!!
skarabrae 04 May 2009
In reply to Al Evans: You should try the ones in Spain, yeeeeuuuughh.

agree with you there, tried one in calpe at xmas time, worse one i`ve ever had!!

Ian McNeill 04 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

Oh no - the same owner of the Spice of Llanberis ' Finalist in the best Indian restaurant in north Wales' is opening up in Barmouth - " CHILLI SPICE " - Reservation is highly recommended !!!

Is there any hope for Barmouth, no blue flag this year and now the spice Group of Indian restaurants ...

according to the advert ....

"Chilli spice opens the door to a whole new world of dining pleasure ' ?

Duncan Bourne 04 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:
Llanberis has always been a sad disappointment to me. Apart from the perenially popular Pete's Eat's, the secondhand bookshop and the climbing shops there is not a whole lot else to recommend it. I spent the weekend there once for the film festival (which was good)and apart from the afore mentioned Pete's and the Pizza pub some half a mile (or is it a mile?) down the road there was no where else that appealed.
 richprideaux 04 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:
There is a good one by the roundabout on Mostyn Street in Llandudno. You go upstairs, like all the best curry houses...
 David Hooper 04 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

Best curry house in the area by far (although takeawy only - no sitdown) is The Sitar in Bethesda - stands up there with Rusholme establishments
 David Hooper 04 May 2009
In reply to bryn:
Found it a bit bland myself Bryn - but Ive only been the once - guess they must be doing something right to get the trade where they are situated.
 Tom Last 04 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

One of the worst curries I've ever had and by far the worst service anywhere.

After initially tutting at us all, presumably for not ordering enough and apart from the regular haughtiness, meals arriving at different times, food being shit etc; whilst we were working out the money between us, the head waiter (who was actually licking his lips at the sight of our money) came and started to scoop up the money from my friends hands and physically ease us out of our chairs! Anyway the rude tw*t got an earful.

We thought a 15 pence tip between six of us was more than enough.

Dreadful place, steer well clear.
 Tom Last 04 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:
vile little hovel!

LOL, that's about right.
 SebCa 04 May 2009
In reply to balongworth: Different area, but the one in Ambleside has to be up there with one of the best i have ever been to, cant remember the name though! Just a few doors down from Chineese!
 Mark Sheridan 04 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

This is such a great way to bring about the justice these twunts deserve, i.e. I'm gonna take your word for it and never eat there. But please, likewise listen to my advice and never,ever eat from the revolting little takeaway on the A5 near Llangollen (I think it's in Froncysllte). It's the one which is painted cerise pink/purple and it's got to be one of the worst take-aways in the UK. Conversely we had a really good curry on the way back from Holyhead once, but unfortunately I can't remember what village it was in. It was this side of the Menai and in a smallish precinct; that's about all I can remember.
 richprideaux 04 May 2009
In reply to Mark Sheridan:

I'll second that one.

But the takeaway by the roundabout in Gobowen is the finest in the area, and only a minute off the A5 if you're passing.
 Bulls Crack 04 May 2009

All in all North Wales is a bit of a culinary desert......

Waits for backlash
 Banned User 77 04 May 2009
In reply to David Hooper: I like it, had bad guts a few times but never had a bad curry.

Spice of Llanberis isn't great at all. Had some very poor curries but one good one. Strangely I was in a curry house in Port, around the back of the square, and we were complimenting the owner about the food saying it was better than the food served up in llanberis, rather embrassingly he said he'd just taken over that one, so we thought it hoped have improved.

I like the chinese in Llanberis.
 David Hooper 04 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

Actually this has the makings of a really good thread . Compliments, comments and complaints on outdoor eateries.

2 other excellent places on the A5 - Rhug Organic Farm Cafe just outside Corwen - their Lamb burgers and hotpot are excellent.

Conwy Falls Cafe near Penmachno just before Betws - much loved by paddlers and MTBers but climbers dont seem to have discovered it yet.

Another crap one on the A5 - Pinnacle Cafe at Capel Curig - surly staff and so so food.
 Mark Sheridan 04 May 2009
In reply to David Hooper:
> (In reply to balongworth)
> Another crap one on the A5 - Pinnacle Cafe at Capel Curig - surly staff and so so food.

Surly would be a compliment. They've been such utterly miserable gits every single time I've 'had' to go there.

David Hooper 04 May 2009
The Bryn Glo Cafe just down the road at the layby by Pont Cyfyng does a good brekky and is run by a nice family
 gethin_allen 04 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:
I've had many good meals at the Vaynol arms in Nant Peris, even when I took 32 hungry students there. They did make us book ahead and we had to go in two sittings but that's not really a surprise and the quality of the food didn't suffer.
Thinking about it we must have spent over £600 there in one night and a few of us had been there the night before and had a few drinks, and on top of that we were camping/bunking in their place just up the road so they made a real killing off us all.
 David Hooper 04 May 2009
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Mark Sheridan)
>
>
> All in all North Wales is a bit of a culinary desert......
>
> Waits for backlash

Betty Swollocks!!! You just need to know where to go.

heres a starting list:

Y Caban - Bryn Refail
Pizza & Pint at Gallt y Glyn - near Llanberis
Pub at Red Wharf Bay Anglesey
Community run cafe at hamlet by start of Watkin Path
Bryn Tyrch - Capel Curig
Tyn y Coed - Capel Curig
Alpine Cafe Betws y Coed Station
Ty Gwyn - Betws y Coed
+ others mentioned in previous post

now excuse me - I just have to go and stand on the bathroom scales

Carpe Diem 04 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

So whats the crak if i want a decent curry after a day's play on the hill?
 gethin_allen 04 May 2009
I agree with that, and it's pretty close for breakfast if you are staying in the bryn tyrch bunkbarns. If you've not stayed there in mid winter believe me you need a good hot meal after a night there, it was so cold when we stayed there it took us about 30 min to boil the kettle in the morning.
 sutty 04 May 2009

Pinnacle cafe has been fine the last two times I have been in, wonder when the surly staff work there?

Vaynol has gone down in value, prices up or food quantity well down as well as quality. Better value at Royal Victoria bar, and cheaper as well.
 Banned User 77 04 May 2009
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to David Hooper)
>
> Pinnacle cafe has been fine the last two times I have been in, wonder when the surly staff work there?
>
> Vaynol has gone down in value, prices up or food quantity well down as well as quality. Better value at Royal Victoria bar, and cheaper as well.

Umm? We were tempted to head back to give it another try. It was probably the worst meal we've had in a pub. Hoped things had changed, sounds like it hasn't.
 David Hooper 04 May 2009
In reply to sutty:
>
> Pinnacle cafe has been fine the last two times I have been in, wonder when the surly staff work there?

Last time I was there I asked for a slice of Bara Brith to take out. They said it came on a plate, not to take out - I said could you maybe take it off the plate and put it in a paper bag for me? This really made them huff & moan and give me dirty looks.
 gethin_allen 04 May 2009
In reply to sutty:
That's a real shame, Thinking about it it was about 2 years ago that we went there with the club, plenty of time to go astray.
 Banned User 77 05 May 2009
In reply to gethin_allen: New owners, the old vaynol was consistently good, not great, just good standard british pub food, big portions, a tad pricey but generally decent value for money.
 sutty 05 May 2009
In reply to IainRUK:

I was given a menu from the Sam Smiths pub chain last night and nearly every meal is at £5.95 now apart from Steak and Gammon where they are £8.75 and £7.50. Soup £2.50, most light bites are £3.75-£3.95. Prices are dropping it seems, not rising to get customers in.
 wilkie14c 05 May 2009
In reply to sutty:
Southern fried chicken and fries in a basket, steak and onion bap, 2 x garlic bread and 2 x pints of 'Springtime' in a proper pub yesterday afternoon- £13.00. 'The Saddle' in Blackpool. Now thats value!
That cafe in Cap Cur - I agree, overpriced food with snotty staff. Meet one of my mates there for climbing days and now we still meet there but outside the cafe. I got there first last time and got a brew going on the old Peak 1. The owner was opening up while the kettle was whistling away and I got some dirty looks from him HaHA!
Chippy watch = in the town square in Keswick and the one in Bethesda are both ace! (Well they seemed so after long days out climbing!)
 Mike Peacock 05 May 2009
>
> Actually this has the makings of a really good thread . Compliments, comments and complaints on outdoor eateries.
>

I'll second the bad reviews of Pinnacles Cafe. I despise the place. Miserable staff and they've complained in the past about us coming in off the hills damp and muddy. Also been told off when 4 of us sat at a 6-seater table when the place was deserted!

Don't go there often but the Swallow Falls Hotel does a good banoffee pie.

Pen-y-Pass cafe is rubbish. Expensive, and again the staff get funny about wet gear.

Out along the A55 I really like Bistro 55 by Caerwys:
http://www.northwales.co.uk/restaurants/bistro-55-caerwys/
The food is good, but it's also a decent place to stop off for a coffee on the way along the coast.
Jonno 05 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

Off the beaten track coming into north Wales but the Spice Cafe in Cefn Mawr...about 2 miles off the A5 is very good. I Think it's a take away rather than an eat in but the best 'Indian' around since the Simla in Llangollen went down hill.
Incidentally. The notorious 'Crads' chippy on the A5 in Corwen which Radio 1 apparently declared 'the worst chippy in the UK' has had new owners in the last year and it's improved 1000%.

Jonno 05 May 2009
In reply to Touching Centauri:
> [...]
>
> I'll second the bad reviews of Pinnacles Cafe. I despise the place. >>>

I'm happy to join in the beating that the Pinnacle Cafe is getting. It's a feckin hole ! The staff appear to have turned the old adage 'the customer is always right' on its head completely and the food is...well...technically...food !

I presume the attached outdoor shop is also owned by the same dour Welshman who appears keen to promote Anglo-Celtic relations by instilling in his staff the belief that every browser is a thief and hangs a sign on his book/magazine section 'THIS IS NOT A LIBRARY !'

Feck em....just pop around to Joe Browns.Friendly,knowledgeable and you can even browse without eyes burning into your back.

Mike Peacock 05 May 2009
In reply to Jonno: Indeed. If memory serves correct there's even a sign outside Joe Brown's saying "feel free to come in and browse".

Not sure why anyone goes to Pinnacle when there's three pubs and the bar at Pas-y-Brenin all within easy reach.
 Fidget 05 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

I went there once and don't remember anything bad about it. Mind you, that was 2006.
 Cú Chullain 05 May 2009
In reply to Jonno:
> (In reply to Touching Centauri)
> [...]
>
>
> I'm happy to join in the beating that the Pinnacle Cafe is getting. It's a feckin hole ! The staff appear to have turned the old adage 'the customer is always right' on its head completely and the food is...well...technically...food !

"customer is always right"

I never really got this saying, its not uncommon that the customer is not only incorrect but very rude to boot.
Removed User 05 May 2009
In reply to Cú Chullain: Anyone that has worked in the service industry understands the absolute truth of your statement.
 Al Evans 05 May 2009
In reply to Removed User: OK and now to the Lakes/Yorks, is the Chippy in Settle still ace, and what is the cafe of choice in Ambleside (the chinese chippy was dreadful last time I was there.
alessandro di guglielmo 05 May 2009
In reply to Al Evans:
> cafe of choice in Ambleside

Apple Pie Shop - mmmmmmmmmm
alessandro di guglielmo 05 May 2009
In reply to Al Evans:

Inglesport in Ingleton is always a good bet for breakfast
 Kimono 05 May 2009
In reply to Jonno:
>

> Incidentally. The notorious 'Crads' chippy on the A5 in Corwen which Radio 1 apparently declared 'the worst chippy in the UK' has had new owners in the last year and it's improved 1000%.

It really was the worst in the uk...and i think he was proud of it

But, as you say, it has been taken over by the chippy in Carrog (pity for them to lose their excellent chippy) and is now very good. Though they close rather early in the evening...8? Sensibly avoiding the Corwen post-pub experience!

There is an excellent chippy in Llangollen as well. The small one on the A5 as you come into town...NOT the one on the high street which is dire.
 Denni 05 May 2009

I'll jump on the Pinnacle cafe debate. What a bunch of miseries. Almost felt like I needed to apologise for ordering anything!

I am slowly going off Petes Eats as well. Happy to sit and have a brew and carrot cake, feel like I'm going to have a coronary when I have tucked into a brekkie though, and have found the staff to be miserabl some times as well.

Moving onto other places, I quite like the cafe in the square at Hathersage, then go and have a look at the most ridiculously overstocked shops I've ever seen in one place!! There is less North Face kit in the TNF shop in Cov Gdn!
 jez edwards 05 May 2009
In reply to balongworth: Great thread most cafe's that me and my lad (who is a fussy 8 year old eater)went to last summer for 4 days near Llanberis were poor and allmost all the staff were miserable.
So looking for If any good pubs / cafe near Llanberis with good food for kids...
We went to petes 4 times ..
 Mike Peacock 05 May 2009
In reply to Atholl de-Saint-Croix: I'm not too fond of Pete's these days, but then I'd always rather sit in a pub after a day on the mountains. Not much good options for that in Llanberis either!
 Matt Vigg 05 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

Another vote for the Sitar in Bethesda, only downside is its takeaway only. Another good healthy eating establishment is the Golden Cod in Bontnewydd, (just outside Caernarfon in the direction of Tremadog), they do the biggest kebabs you've ever seen, probably much more dangerous than the routes you did to earn one.
In reply to Touching Centauri: Pete's has been Ok again recently.
 brieflyback 05 May 2009

Cafes never seem as good to me now as they did when I was 20. Probably because instead of apparently vanishing into thin air, I can feel the lard in the full breakfast heading for my hips, arse, and coronary arteries within minutes.
 Denni 05 May 2009
> (In reply to Atholl de-Saint-Croix) I'm not too fond of Pete's these days, but then I'd always rather sit in a pub after a day on the mountains. Not much good options for that in Llanberis either!

Totally agree. I tend to come off the hills, jump in the car and head to Bedgellert. Forgot the name of the pub over the bridge, but would rather travel there and sit in front of the fire for a nice pint.

Llanberis slowly going down hill...
 Mike Peacock 05 May 2009
In reply to Atholl de-Saint-Croix:

The Tanronnen Inn? That's normally where I have a pint when I'm in Beddgelert.
XXXX 05 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

North Wales has, and always will be a complete desert of post mountain opportunities.

If I have a long weekend I would much rather spend it in the Lakes or the Peak district where there are centres of population who don't regard you as a nuisance.

Scotland is the same. Glencoe is supposed to be an outdoor heaven but all they have is the Clachaig which when I went in was as welcoming as a kidney stone. Ok, so they do hot food and beer which is an improvement on North Wales.

When you go abroad, there are whole service industries surrounding outdoor places. There are 'scenes' and places to meet and socialise. (Except Font) Here, it seems (especially the Welsh) that the locals would rather you went home and removed the only industry and source of jobs they have left.

Apologies to those of you who don't fit into my wide sweeping generalisation. There are always a couple. But generally, I'm right.
 Bulls Crack 05 May 2009
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
> [...]
>
> Betty Swollocks!!! You just need to know where to go.
>
> heres a starting list:
>
> Y Caban - Bryn Refail
> Pizza & Pint at Gallt y Glyn - near Llanberis
> Pub at Red Wharf Bay Anglesey
> Community run cafe at hamlet by start of Watkin Path
> Bryn Tyrch - Capel Curig
> Tyn y Coed - Capel Curig
> Alpine Cafe Betws y Coed Station
> Ty Gwyn - Betws y Coed
> + others mentioned in previous post
>
> now excuse me - I just have to go and stand on the bathroom scales

Capel ones ok - Red Wharfe Bay one very average when i was there last year
 wilkie14c 05 May 2009
In reply to Bulls Crack:
Fort William is a bit thin on late night scran too unless you want to brave Micky D's.
The chippy offers to deep fry everything for you including pies! Knowing this, we decided this Feburary to try the Chinese. Spent 18 hours on Tower Ridge the following day crimping the wrong muscle groups if you know what I mean.......
In reply to Eric the Red:
>
> North Wales has, and always will be a complete desert of post mountain opportunities.
>
> If I have a long weekend I would much rather spend it in the Lakes or the Peak district where there are centres of population who don't regard you as a nuisance.
>
> Scotland is the same. Glencoe is supposed to be an outdoor heaven but all they have is the Clachaig which when I went in was as welcoming as a kidney stone. Ok, so they do hot food and beer which is an improvement on North Wales.
>
> When you go abroad, there are whole service industries surrounding outdoor places. There are 'scenes' and places to meet and socialise. (Except Font) Here, it seems (especially the Welsh) that the locals would rather you went home and removed the only industry and source of jobs they have left.
>
> Apologies to those of you who don't fit into my wide sweeping generalisation. There are always a couple. But generally, I'm right.

You're wrong. Especially around Llanberis, 'locals' now contain many many english or people who moved there for the climbing/walking.

Living here I've found it far far friendlier than the Peak District. The Peak is just a money making opportunity, expensive area in general. North Wales is far more trust worthy and friendly.
 Jim Walton 05 May 2009
In reply to David Hooper: Y Caban - Bryn Refail. thats the place. Find it and enjoy...
XXXX 05 May 2009
In reply to IainRUK:

I'm not wrong. I've obviously just had different experiences to you. I booked into a b+b in llanberis once as a treat. When I arrived I was challenged and asked if I was old enough to be away with my girlfriend on my own.

I was 23 at the time.

Mike Peacock 05 May 2009
In reply to Eric the Red: So from that and (presumably) a few other experiences you then draw a line and say:

"Ok, so they do hot food and beer which is an improvement on North Wales".

Have you ever been to the PyG Hotel? Tan-y-Coed? Which pubs have you been to in the area?
 Mike Peacock 05 May 2009
In reply to balongworth: Anyway, stretching further afield I'll say to avoid the Minfordd Hotel below Cadair. I called in for a pint last year with my girlfriend and as we arrived the only other two people there scarpered. We ordered drinks and then for the next two hours the landlord sat down with us and talked at us. Not to us, but at us. He wouldn't leave us alone, and bored us to misery. We had to endure it and wait several hours for the next bus.

Corris has two pubs. The Braich Goch on the main road had some decent beers and ciders but was deserted on Friday night. It also has a climbing wall in the beer. In the village itself is a tiny pub called The Miners Arms - it doesn't even have a sign outside so it's hard to spot. Very local, but quite friendly and excellent food.
 Bulls Crack 05 May 2009

Speaking from experience - rudeness in pubs, theft and general atmosphere - I'm afraid I have to largely agree with you
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Eric the Red)
>
> Speaking from experience - rudeness in pubs, theft and general atmosphere - I'm afraid I have to largely agree with you

I've never experienced any crime, any rudeness or general unpleasant atmosphere.

In fact crime is such a none event we always forget to lock doors, shut doors, secure bikes etc and are worried about living elsewhere because we just don't think about crime at all.
James Jackson 05 May 2009

Ah the P-Y-G! The biggest baths in the world, and there's nothing like a swim in the pool followed by a sauna. Love it!
Removed User 05 May 2009
In reply to Touching Centauri: Could have been worse, you could have ended up in the Tynycornel Hotel on the other end of the lake. Tetleys Smoothflow combined with the putrifying smell of coach loads old people sucking boiled cabbage through their yellowing dentures, the juice dribbling off their hairy chins...
 David Hooper 05 May 2009
>
> North Wales has, and always will be a complete desert of post mountain opportunities.

Wrong wrong wrong

Pizza and pint is a lovely evening, even if a tad frequented by the "beautiful,talented and famous" of the 'beris scene.

An organic free range fry up at Y Caban will set you up for a day in the quarries.

and after a big day on the hill treat yourself to a meal in Capel Curigs Tyn y Coed or Bryn Tyrch in the company of happy locals and buzzing visiting climbers and walkers - both pubs excellent food and atmosphere.

Llanberis is not just about Petes Eats and The Heights anymore.
 David Hooper 05 May 2009
In reply to alessandro di guglielmo:

Seconded both Apple Pie Shop and Inglesport - both friendly,good food and they both let dogs in
James Jackson 05 May 2009

> Llanberis is not just about Petes Eats and The Heights anymore.

I would go as far as to say "Llanberis is not about Petes Eats and The Heights at all".
 Denni 05 May 2009
> (In reply to Atholl de-Saint-Croix)
>
> The Tanronnen Inn? That's normally where I have a pint when I'm in Beddgelert.

Thats the one! Love having a wee pint there. I prefer camping round there as well, rather than on the A5. Happy to jump in the car after the hills and drive down for a decent pint, grub then a kip!
 SGD 05 May 2009
In reply to balongworth: I've had both a good and a bad experience from the spice. When it's quiet it's definately better but service with a smile doesn't really exist there. I was in there recently when it was busy and we asked for some water for the table and was told the tap was broken. When we asked the manager and asked how they would be cooking the rice without any water we were finially given 2 glasses between 8 of us.

I won't be back
 DougG 05 May 2009

> Scotland is the same.

PMSL...
 d_b 05 May 2009
In reply to balongworth: Not particularly handy for Llanberis

but I remember the indian near the camp site in Ullapool being fairly good.
 Bulls Crack 05 May 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
> [...]
>
> I've never experienced any crime, any rudeness or general unpleasant atmosphere.
>
> In fact crime is such a none event we always forget to lock doors, shut doors, secure bikes etc and are worried about living elsewhere because we just don't think about crime at all.

I'm pleased to hear it..really. Unfortunately I've had my car broken into in Llanberis, stuff nicked and I foiled another attempt and been deliberately ignored by bar-staff on several occasions - and no I'm not a rude English punter - so that would colour my perception of the place which I've gained in over 20 years of climbing there.
 Al Evans 05 May 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Eric the Red)
I hope that is tongue in cheek!
 Pete Potter 05 May 2009
In reply to Bulls Crack: I travel with work and climb all over Britain and unfortunatly find bad food and service throughout britain.
Llanberis is not the place to go to eat but it has a really good and vibrant scene which is far more welcoming than the lakes or the peak and after living in all three places I have experience of all three.
I have had terrable food in most of the pubs in Langdale and have felt totally ripped off in various pubs around the peak.
With regards to theft from cars most people who do this drive straight back along the A55 after breaking into a few cars back to England so is it fair to blame the locals? I am also amaized to see what people are willing to leave on view on the back seat of a car and feel that if you left something worth over £500 on the back seat of a car in a city it would not last long.
I know live in Nant Peris and find the local scene fantastic, the pub welcoming (albeit with basic food) with a general feeling of trust and comunity which I rairly find elswhere in Britain. Not to mention more climbing than you can shake a stick at in your back garden.
 Ian McNeill 05 May 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to David Hooper) Strangely I was in a curry house in Port, around the back of the square, and we were complimenting the owner about the food saying it was better than the food served up in llanberis,....

'the Back Passage' wins for me too !

Harlech's not bad either same people as Dolgellau
 gingerdave13 05 May 2009
In reply to Al Evans: can i go one better? try one in america... was 'orrible guv' mind you the hotel was pretty dodge too.
 Bulls Crack 05 May 2009
In reply to Pete Potter:

> With regards to theft from cars most people who do this drive straight back along the A55 after breaking into a few cars back to England so is it fair to blame the locals?

We had a pair of semi-soiled long-johns on view and it was a local - the police bizarrely gave me his address.

I can forgive all that - it's just stuff - but the general air of resentment I find harder to comes to terms with - maybe it's different if you live there but I've no time for that dislike of offcomers either.
 tobykeep 05 May 2009
>
> frequented by the "beautiful,talented and famous" of the 'beris scene.
>
Don't know what you mean, I haven't been for weeks!
 FrankBooth 05 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:
there's an indian restaurant on the way from caernarfon to rhyd ddu (looking at a map, maybe in dinas) - my brother reckons that's got a good reputation
 craig d 05 May 2009
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Mark Sheridan)
>
>
> All in all North Wales is a bit of a culinary desert......

As the whole of wales only has one 1* Michelin restaurant (and that's near Monmouth) your spot on.......

David Hooper 05 May 2009
In reply to craig d:

I think we are talking decent food with a good friendly atmosphere after a day on the hill - not Egon Ronay
 Ian McNeill 06 May 2009
In reply to tobykeep:
> [...]
> Don't know what you mean, I haven't been for weeks!

sounds like you need the hottest one going it will help free up your lower bowels ....

Fex Wazner 07 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

The last one I had about 6 months ago was great

Fex.
 Chris Shorter 07 May 2009
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to balongworth) You should try the ones in Spain, yeeeeuuuughh.

Al

Actually, I ate in a very good one in Spain recently and not far from you. It was in Jalon. It was a Nepali, so maybe that is cheating.

Chris
 3leggeddog 07 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

Sorry to spoil your fun but would emailing said curry house a link to this thread be more constructive than just whinging on?
 net 07 May 2009
In reply to bryn: Spent ages trying to find the Sopna (didn't know it was called that) the other week based on some very vague directions from my mum. I think we were on the Bethel road rather than the Llanberis one, by the looks of things.

We ended up in a not-that-great one near Weatherspoons in Bangor.
 Morgan Woods 07 May 2009
In reply to balongworth:

have had a nasty curry at Llanberis Spice before so with this in mind we tried the one in Llanrug but they were full last weekend. Don't remember anything bad about the service at the Spice just a nasty stomach the next day.

Have always thought the Vanyol offered reasonable value considering they have a captive market but haven't eaten there lately. Pizza and a pint is ok but they ran out of dough on the weekend....on a bank holiday! and served up a pretty crap bolognese instead.

Anyway the chippy in Llanberis is always a good meal....Pete's however seem to cater for the lowest common denominator.....my (overcooked) rice and chilli was swimming in water so they'd obviously just slopped it on the plate from the pot.

My main gripe with some of the pubs in regional areas is the paucity of decent wine by the glass (or indeed bottle). House wine is usually some shite out of a box or those shitty half bottles from the Stowells collection.
 Dave Garnett 07 May 2009
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Wine? You want wine?
 Morgan Woods 07 May 2009
In reply to Dave Garnett:

crazy i know.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...