UKC

REVIEW: Petzl Dart Crampons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 06 May 2009
[Testing the Darts on Les Formes Du Chaos, Ceillac, 2 kb]The first thing I noticed about the Darts is that there is basically nothing to them. But that is most certainly a good thing. They weigh less for starters and there's no messing around with the meccano set, nuts and bolts that I've had to deal with on many other technical crampons. I have used them for a good chunk of winter outings now and they do the job perfectly. From steep ice in the Alps to Scottish mixed, they've definitely been through the mill. So what's the verdict?

UKClimbing.com's Gear Editor Kevin Avery puts them to the test...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1789

In reply to UKC Gear:
Did you test them on Ben Nevis snow/ice/neve? I find monos slice through neve quite scarily, are these any different?

NMM
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:

Hi,

Yes, tested them a few times on the Ben. No problems with them slicing through. Like I say you get a very stable tripod effect when you drop your heels. I've climbed in monos for years and have never noticed any problems like this.

Cheers

Kevin
 andyinglis 11 May 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: What you maybe should have mentioned is the specific boot to crampon fit required i.e. not all boots are suitable for use with the dart, especially wide boots. Many people have had mixed experiences with these crampons,however I agree they are excellent if you can securely fit them to your footwear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...