UKC

Montane Superfly XT vs Rab Latok

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marijnpeter 08 May 2009
I am ready to spent my hard earned money on a new mountaineering jacket. My list is shortened to the Latok and the Superfly XT. Which one should I buy?
Kzam 08 May 2009
In reply to marijnpeter: I can definitely recommend the Montane. I will only ever buy Montane jackets now. I'm not sure of the current XT model but avoid the one with the 'printed' shoulder reinforcements- although that might be the non-XT model anyway. I have used mine extensively in the British hills and my ONLY niggle is that in total downpours, water soaks out the cuffs and if the sleeves of your fleece, underlayer, etc are in contact, the water can soak this too. I stopped this by putting a small amount of gaffer tape round the very end of the cuffs and this is fine now.
Anyway, I hope this helps.

Someone will probably sing the praises of the Latok now...!!

Ian Black 08 May 2009
In reply to marijnpeter:
> I am ready to spent my hard earned money on a new mountaineering jacket. My list is shortened to the Latok and the Superfly XT. Which one should I buy?

Neither. Get a good hooded soft shell, and if you must have a 'waterproof' carry a marmot precip or the like in the bottom of your rucksack.
Ian Black 08 May 2009
In reply to marijnpeter: Should have added, I've got a Latok alpine, but my Patagonia dimension is more breathable, more waterproof,(although patagonia don't advertise it as waterproof), and is 100% better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...