UKC

Maps, Compass and GPS invading adventure or...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi all,

Last weekend I was ski touring in the Hurrungane fjell, which are part of the Jotunheim fjells in Norway and I noticed very few people had maps or compasses but relied on GPS or just had nothing. As standard I always take a map and compass, and if skiing a GPS, but I noticed a lot of the locals just had GPS, or not even that and at times I seemed to be the only person with a map. The Norwegian maps or not as good as UK maps, and have contour spacing of 20m so many features get smoothed out.
It got me wondering, how many people ski tour or mountaineer take maps? Or just do you rely on a good sense of direction when in the mountains? Climbers are renowned for not taking maps is this true?

Also do some people just rely on GPS maps, and how do they find this works for them?

I have to admit I like having a map, I have been making geological maps (of the seabed) for 10 years now, so it’s kind of my thing. Are maps still in? Are you less likely to use them when abroad?

Just interested.

TTFN

Jamie
almost sane 15 May 2009
In reply to Jamie Simpson - Alpine Dragons:
I like maps.
I'll sometimes get a map of an area just to look at and dream over.

I always always always try to get maps of where I am going / have been. Its not always easy, though. And often key navigational information is not on the maps, and the maps are more of a hinderance to good navigation than a help.
 ChrisHolloway1 15 May 2009

I always carry my GPS, but I consider to be part of my emergency gear when I'm working with groups. I do like maps, and I genuinley think that GPS will never replace good navigation skills.
joa_ds@mount_Wiki 16 May 2009
In reply to ChrisHolloway1:

why not take a map? Bad weather and you get lost... How to get back then?
 54ms 16 May 2009

> Also do some people just rely on GPS maps, and how do they find this works for them?

I've got OS 25k mapping on my phone with a nice big red circle showing where you are. Don't trust it not to break/run out of battery when I need it most, so it remains a cool toy.

I can see how you could get yourself into trouble depending on one.
 SebCa 16 May 2009
In reply to ChrisHolloway1: agreed, it stays in the bad and only comes out when one is really 'confused'!

Altimeters are a good help for nav I find
 ChrisHolloway1 16 May 2009
In reply to joa_ds@mount_Wiki: Sorry if I confused you there bud, I always carry a map and compass as my primary means of navigation, and only use my GPS in the event of an emergency where rapidly getting my position is essential. However it is worth noting that a GPS with a backtrack function would allow you to very easily get back to where you want. Also all GPS can be configured to tell you your grid reference.
 Carolyn 16 May 2009

Maybe they carried map as a backup?

I rarely have a map/compass visible whilst out walking/running unless the visibility's really dreadful and I'm somewhere I don't know well. I find I can do most stuff from memory (even in new areas in good vis), and the map's more of a back up in case, say, I need to give a grid ref for a rescue.

I firmly a map person at the moment, but having had a training session or two on the new GPS with built in mapping, I could easily imagine having the GPS out in my hand and using it as my primary navigation aid. They were much better than I'd ever expected....

I'd keep a map with me - at least initially as I'd be worried about battery life, etc. But maps aren't utterly reliable either - I've seen plenty blow away, or form soggy balls in the bottom of inadequate map cases.
Himalaya 20 May 2009
In reply to Duncan_S:

>Don't trust it not to break/run out of battery when I need it most, so it remains a cool toy.

So I guess you never venture out in the dark as a headlamp can't be trusted as it can break/run out of battery when you need it most?
 threepeaks 20 May 2009
> Or just do you rely on a good sense of direction when in the mountains?

Oh, the fun I've had over the years relying on my good 'sense of direction' in the mountains!

To be honest I take all three these days as I'm lazy. The GPS always acts as a fun back up - learning to read a map and use a compass has always been an important skill for me. I do enjoy using my GPS, but always reference everything to a quality map. There have been instances when it has refused to fire up - most often in Scotland when I need it most!
 David Hooper 20 May 2009
In reply to Duncan_S:

Whats the OS mapping software for your phone and where did you get it?

Cheers

David
 Padraig 20 May 2009

Read the other day that the GPS satellites in orbit will cease to perform by 2010 due to the U.S. military's maintenance program being seriously underfunded and falling behind schedule.
p

Padraig 20 May 2009
In reply to Padraig:

Had a google...

http://tinyurl.com/q4ru5c

Banned User 77 20 May 2009
In reply to Padraig: According to New Scientist they aren't likely to crease to perform, just lose accuracy. At the moment there's a 25% chance of them losing some satelites, but if they delay much more it will be at 90%.
 Banned User 77 20 May 2009
In reply to Padraig: http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-09-325

This is the report they are all quoting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...