UKC

Keswick Climbing Wall - planning permission

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ron Kenyon 21 May 2009
The Keswick Climbing Wall has been relocated to Goosewell Farm - near Castle Rigg Stone Circle. They have permission for group use but not for individual use. This is going to the Planning Board on 5th June.

Letters of support and petitions for this are being sent to the planning board and as many of these as possible would be welcome to indicate the amount of support.

Below is the draft of a letter which I have sent and would urge climbers to copy, amend and send off a letter of support to the Planning Board at Kendal

Ron Kenyon

YOUR ADDRESS

Mr N Thompson
Lake District National Park Authority
Murley Moss
Oxenholme Road
Kendal
Cumbria
LA9 7RL

Dear Sir

Re Keswick Climbing Wall – Goosewell Farm , Keswick
Reference 07/2009/2050

I write to you to express my support for the permanent relocation of Keswick Climbing Wall to Goosewell Farm and for public access to the climbing wall as all members of the public should be able to use the valuable indoor facility and not just organised groups.

The Lake District is purporting to be the Adventure Capital of the UK. Rock Climbing has been an important element of activities in the Lake District for well over 100 years and many people come to the Lakes to enjoy the crags and climbing available here. Climbing Walls are now an integral part of the climbing scene giving a controlled environment to climb throughout the year and not affected by the weather, especially the rain. The old climbing wall in Keswick was an important location for climbers and groups and its removal has left a gap in provision for climbers in the northern part of the Lakes. There are other walls at Penrith, Newton Rigg and West Cumbria however it is important to have a climbing wall more in the Central Lakes.

To have a climbing wall at Goosewell Farm only for organised groups in nonsensical as this facility would well serve the general public. There is adequate parking there with plenty of facilities as well as a mountain feel when one looks out of the door.

I therefore ask that the Lake District Special Planning Board allows use of the climbing wall at Goosewell Farm for use by the general public as well as organised groups.

Yours sincerely

Carolyn 21 May 2009
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

Will get on it.

I think there's also mention of climbing in the Cumbria Sport Strategic Plan - vague memory from threats to Cockermouth wall a couple year back. I'll try and dig out stuff tomorrow/weekend when less kids around and compose another paragraph - not sure if still valid.

The Adventure Capital stuff's presumably from Cumbria Vision's plans - are they involved/do they have any influence?
OP Ron Kenyon 21 May 2009
In reply to Carolyn: Cumbria Tourism have a paid Adventure Capital bod - and are pushing that area
 biscuit 21 May 2009
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

There is also an on-line petition and a physical one at the wall. Go and have a nosey and sign while you're there.

Send a letter too though :0)

Ram MkiV 21 May 2009
In reply to Ron Kenyon: Probably worth posting the online petition here as most won't be bothered to copy, print and post a letter unless you're local...? I've done the online thing anyway just in case I'm in the lakes it's tipping down and the cobble is seeping.....
 winhill 21 May 2009
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

Is it just as effective to post comments on here?

http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?th...

on this form if you click on 'Comment about this application':

http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/swiftlg/apas/run/wphmakerep.displayURL?ApnI...
OP Ron Kenyon 22 May 2009
In reply to winhill:

Thanks for that - I am used to letters - but the online comments is much better in this case.

Carolyn 22 May 2009
In reply to Ron Kenyon:
> (In reply to Carolyn) Cumbria Tourism have a paid Adventure Capital bod - and are pushing that area

Ah, I suspect he's been paid for by Cumbria Vision, but may be wrong. Will ask around a little and see if I can find out where the power and influence lies I imagine Cumbria Vision's Plan was lifted from Cumbria Tourism, that certainly what happened in other areas such as housing.

I did discover that Cumbria's Local Area Agreement has a stretch target to increase the numbers of adults undertaking regular physical activity (stretch target means they get extra money if they manage it). Would therefore be a little silly to remove a facility which encourages it. Do we have any figures for useage of the old wall? (ie numbers each week, or similar?). I know the Council Officer who appears to be developing the strategy/action plan to achieve this increase in activity, so might sound out their views. Though no doubt it'll be all change following CCC elections...
OP Ron Kenyon 22 May 2009
In reply to Carolyn:

Can you email the Officer's name - at ron@jaggedlakes.plus.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...