UKC

Are the midges out at Derry Lodge yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fiona Reid 25 May 2009
Hi Folks,

Just wondered if anyone has been in to the Derry Lodge area recently (the last week or so) and if so how the midges were? okay/unbearable?

We're toying with camping there soon and would prefer not to be bait but don't want to can the trip if they are still at acceptable levels - acceptable being not having to spend 2 days stuck inside the tent!

Cheers,
Fiona
 JimGoodman 25 May 2009
In reply to Fiona Reid: Don't know about Derry Lodge but they are out in force here Lochcarron tonight!

Jim
 JohnnyW 25 May 2009
In reply to Fiona Reid:
It's been windy, so not bad, but when it dropped last week, I was bitten good and proper...........
 OMR 25 May 2009
In reply to Fiona Reid: None two weekends ago, but then it was cold, wet and windy then. I expect they will be out and about by now, but as long as there's a bit of a wind it should keep them down.
 Andy Nisbet 26 May 2009
In reply to Fiona Reid:

It will be fine. Too early for midges in the east, still the occasional frost. Even in July or August, I wouldn't expect trouble (only on a still evening or night)
OP Fiona Reid 26 May 2009
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Thanks Andy.

We've been getting nibbled in our garden (Edinburgh) over the last week so were worried they may have become nasty up north. Will keep my fingers crossed for a light breeze, either that or escape to Bob Scott's to do the cooking!

In reply to OMR:

Thanks
Slugain Howff 26 May 2009
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

We were eaten alive last Wednesday evening at the Achintee carpark at Fort William - but I agree probably a bit early for NE midges.
David Gordon 26 May 2009
In reply to Fiona Reid:
I have just spent three says walking around Derry Lodge, didn't get bitten once and we camped for two nights - still very cold at night.
Slugain Howff 26 May 2009
In reply to David Gordon:
> (In reply to Fiona Reid)
> I have just spent three says walking around Derry Lodge,

It's a pity you couldn't escape that orbit as there are some great hills around there

Slugain

Jim Fraser 26 May 2009
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Normally, I don't expect them to get really bad until the English are on holiday. Don't you just hate these fussy eaters.
In reply to Jim Fraser: We can't help it, we are just too tasty. We have the same effect on Scottish laydeez too.
 AG 26 May 2009
In reply to Fiona Reid: was camping at glenmore most of last week, never saw any midges.
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Cheers everyone, sounds like we won't get bitten too much so will risk the tent.
 AG 28 May 2009
In reply to Fiona Reid: heres the forecast!
http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/2008/
 pbrown 28 May 2009
In reply to Fiona Reid:

I camped near the pools of dee on saturday night and there were no midges. It was very wet & windy and very cold during the night. Sunday was fairly sunny but still no midges.
OP Fiona Reid 31 May 2009
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Well, I can also confirm the midges are fairly benign (there's a few but nothing troublesome). However, the mozzies...grrr they weren't too pleasant, my back has some huge lumps thanks to them. There's also lots and lots of ticks.

It was a really great weekend.
 CurlyStevo 01 Jun 2009
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
> (In reply to Fiona Reid)
>
> It will be fine. Too early for midges in the east, still the occasional frost. Even in July or August, I wouldn't expect trouble (only on a still evening or night)

so those weren't midgies that were biting me two weeks ago at dunkeld then :P Normally don't get an issue with them there until late June.

They seem to be out a lot earlier this year on the east, also on the west they are awful for the time of year, middleton campsite last week on arran was worse than the red squirrel in June/July the previous two years
 OMR 01 Jun 2009
In reply to Fiona Reid: Started to see midges at Derry Lodge on Monday, but they weren't biting yet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...