UKC

Buying one ascender -right or left handed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Charlie_Zero 29 May 2009
I'm right handed - if I'm buying a single handled ascender, which would I find most useful and easiest to use - right or left handed, or does it not really matter?
In reply to Alan_2468:
depends what your using it for, mentally viualise how would be the easiest way for you to ascend a rope (presuming thats what you want it for) remember you need it so you can sit in your harness or able to transfer the weight on to the other leg so you can move it up.

but in essence no it doesn't matter, they both do the same thing just one is more ergonomically suited for one hand than the other.

Long words

hope this helps
In reply to Alan_2468: They are designed left and Right handed so you can open the cam one handed with your thumb. If you have a left handed ascender in your right hand the cam is 'hidden' Having the ascender in the 'right' hand also means the cam is always visible so you can see immediately if the rope is sitting correctly or if there has been a build up of ice or dirt or anything else that may be on the rope.
OP Charlie_Zero 30 May 2009
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Thanks for the details.
 Dan Lane 30 May 2009
In reply to Alan_2468:

If you are acsending with a grigri and an ascender, get a left handed, because you pull the slack through the grigri with the right hand.

Remember to back up the grigri with a sling from the ascender to your harness.

Dan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...