UKC

Platypus vs Deuter hydration systems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rmaciag 12 Jun 2009

I am about to choose and buy my first hydration system, mainly for walking in Spain in summer. Decided on basic spec -> 3l with wide openning.

I narrowed my selection to two models :

Deuter Streamer
relatively cheaper, some good reviews here and there, should (?) fit my Deuter Guide backpack

Platypus Big Zip SL
circa 6 pounds dearer, widely available, parts should be easier to find if it breakes

Do you have any experience of using any of the above two models ?
Which one would you choose ?
Should the price be the only factor to consider ?

Thanks
 biscuit 12 Jun 2009
In reply to rmaciag:
just to throw a spanner in the works have you looked at Source ?

Don't know if they do a 3l but i treat mine very badly and it's never gone mouldy or broken. It comes out with me just about every day and has lasted a year so far.
 biscuit 12 Jun 2009
In reply to biscuit:

in answer to your other queries price is always important, Source are quiet cheap, and ease of cleaning/propensity to go mouldy is always a good area to look at.

How durable is the drinking valve and does it have a cover ? It's amazing how often you dump your sack and look down to see the valve sitting in a pile of sheep sh1t.Also doesit leak if its fully filled and a bit squashed.

Can you freeze it ? Especially good for walking in hot countries like you want to.
 Lemony 12 Jun 2009
In reply to biscuit: The Deuter Streamers are produced by Source. They do make a 3L version and I agree, they're excellent.
rmaciag 12 Jun 2009
In reply to biscuit:

I have not looked at Source yet but I heard about it ... supossedly Deuter bladders / systems are actually made by Source ...

Thanks for the suggestion

It could be the case that Source and Deuter parts are interchangeable ... may be ...
rmaciag 12 Jun 2009
In reply to Lemony:
Our messages crossed.

Thanks
rmaciag 12 Jun 2009
In reply to biscuit:

re: freezing
I read about it somewhere.
Even if not freezing then at least throwing in some ice cubes might be worth doing.

Now, Platypus advertise their systems to be "boileable", "freezeable" ...

Let me check what Source can say about their products.
 Lemony 12 Jun 2009
In reply to rmaciag: No problems, if it helps, we sell both the Big Zip and the Streamer and as far as I know everyone here has gone for the Streamer.
 Guy Hurst 12 Jun 2009
In reply to Lemony: The Source branded ones are better than the ones the company makes for Deuter because they have a quick disconnect tube which makes them much easier to fit in a sack. They do have a bite valve cover. They are much better than the Platypus or Camelbak bladders, ime, and cheaper.
rmaciag 12 Jun 2009
In reply to Lemony:

Guys, now I got hooked on this Source Widepack ...
However it is a bit more difficult to find some reasonably cheap retailers ...
If I cannot find any then the Deuter Streamer appears to be a safe bet.

Many thanks all for your prompt advice.
rmaciag 12 Jun 2009
OK, I located a "sensible" retailer of Source products ...

One more question.
As the prices offered there are reasonable therefore I would consider either dearer Source WXP or cheaper Source Widepack models.

Do you know if the WXP design is worth a couple of quide more over the Widepack design ?
Both appear very similar except for the additional opening on WXP, details here :
http://www.source-vagabond.com/hydration-solutions.html
It looks to me that the only advantage of the additional standard opening is that one does not need to open and close the "side" one so often. That would arguably prolong the life of the pack (its wide closure). Can you see any other reason for going for WXP over Widepack ?
 Lemony 12 Jun 2009
In reply to rmaciag: I've had a look at these and I really can't see any point in going for the dual opening. It weighs more, adds another possible point for leaks and doesn't really give you any new functionality. I guess it might possibly extend the life of the bladder but not by much, to be honest I can't imagine the fold-over failing very quickly (and we've never had any comments/complaints from customers about it).
 Tree 12 Jun 2009
In reply to rmaciag: I've always used Platypus ( I now have three in different sizes). One problem I had was the tube seemed to be more susceptible to mould- but remedied this by buying a Camelbak tube set with valve cover and insulated sleeve, which after 4 years has so far not succumbed. The bladder itself seems robust and has never burst, The plastic connector does look fragile, but again its never broken yet. I store them in the freezer when not in use, too.
rmaciag 12 Jun 2009
In reply to Lemony:
It is hard not to agree with your down-to-earth logic. Dual opening -> more risk of leaks ... I really wanted to double check if I have missed anything really important about improved functionality.

Thanks
 Luke90 12 Jun 2009
In reply to rmaciag:
Where was your "sensible" retailer for Source? I quite fancy one myself but couldn't find very many places that stocked them. Would really appreciate it if you've got a good suggestion.
rmaciag 12 Jun 2009
In reply to Luke90:
I placed an order with :
http://www.ryedalerambler.com/
Why sensible ?
Prices are not much different from what I saw elsewhere but ... they do not charge P&P for standard delivery so ... you save 3-4 pounds when compared with other retailers. That was my calculation / logic.
 Luke90 12 Jun 2009
In reply to rmaciag:
I just said sensible because it was the way you put it in your post. Thanks for the link!
rmaciag 12 Jun 2009
In reply to Luke90:
No prob.
I just thought it would be useful if I explain what I had meant by "sensible" ...
 biscuit 13 Jun 2009
In reply to rmaciag:

think i got mine from decathlon if that helps anyone who lives near one.
ice.solo 13 Jun 2009
In reply to rmaciag:

ive used dozens of bladders and found them all much the same.

only thing id recommend is stay away from blue and green ones as they often gunk up way faster then the clear or orange ones (yeah yeah antifungal blue light blah blah blah...does nothing).

i like platypus simply because theyre cheap and i seem to destroy them. i prefer plastic over rubber as there are models that can stand up. also the screw top ones are easier to jerry-rig if they break - a normal coke top fits too.

i do particularly like one nathan makes that has 2 bladders together for holding 2 different liquids, with 2 tubes that meet at a mixing valve. its techy and useful for running or light, fast and long trips.
 Guy Hurst 13 Jun 2009
In reply to ice.solo: "i prefer plastic over rubber as there are models that can stand up."

Rubber? I thought those were hot water bottles.
rmaciag 15 Jun 2009
In reply to rmaciag:
> I placed an order with :
> http://www.ryedalerambler.com/

Just a quick update about the retailer.
Last Fri at c. 4PM I placed an order for Source WXP 3l.
The order was dispatch c. 1h later ! Very impressive.
It arrived ... on Sat morning ! Amazing !
However not all turned out to be so great ...
They dispatched the wrong model, not WXP 3l but Widepack 3l so a slightly cheaper (4 pounds) model.
I called the guys on Sat morning and agreed to keep Widepack if they refund the price diff. The card transaction is still showing as pending and the values still remains unadjusted for the diff but I will give them today to sort it out.

rmaciag 16 Jun 2009
In reply to rmaciag:
> They dispatched the wrong model, not WXP 3l but Widepack 3l so a slightly cheaper (4 pounds) model.
> I called the guys on Sat morning and agreed to keep Widepack if they refund the price diff. The card transaction is still showing as pending and the values still remains unadjusted for the diff but I will give them today to sort it out.

FYI
They processed the refund.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...