UKC

Hard shell advice needed quickly!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nodwas 12 Jun 2009
I have had my RAB super Dru stolen so i need a new waterprood soon as possible as i am instructing next week!!

I was thinking.
RAB Latok alpine (not to keen on event any more though also whats it like for scotish winter and really bad stuff)
Mountain hardware Escape (no idea what its like although my mountain hardware softshell is fab!!)
Any other suggestions around the £180-£200 mark?
And im a man!!

Cheers,
Chris
5cifi - BAD SELLER 12 Jun 2009
In reply to nodwas: If you're instructing, the Mountain Equipment Kongur MRT Jacket might be a good idea.

I have one and love it.

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Mountain-Equipment-Kongur-MRT-Jacket.html
OP nodwas 12 Jun 2009
In reply to nodwas:
Looks good however out of my price range

Any other suggestions? also going to be used for alpine and scotish winter stuff!
In reply to nodwas:

I have a Latok Alpine in red, used it the last two seasons in Scotland and walking my dog. Showing no real signs of wear, the jacket can climb up to VII, not sure if the blue or black colour can though!

I like it, simple, lite.

Stuart
In reply to nodwas: I'm sure the one you have suggest in your OP would be good, but if you managed to extend your budget my a bit, trust me, you will not be disappointent by it.
OP nodwas 12 Jun 2009
In reply to 5cifi: Whats the weight of it like?
Its a large stretch of budget as well 150 ish!!
In reply to nodwas: I have it in a large and it's about 700grams. I'll go and measure it. The features it has are correct, not to many useful items like the rab, but features you actually need and use. 100% coat. I've had mine for about 6 months now and it's been used on the mountain daily (6 out of 7) and nothing has gone wrong with it. No wear, all zips work, no holes or tears. I'll be sure getting another if this one needs replacing
In reply to nodwas: Just measured it and it weighs in at 690 grams.

The use mines had is Lakes MR and mountain guiding so quite lterally used on a daily bases. I use it for walking, climbing, everything
 davidhw 12 Jun 2009
In reply to Stuart the postie:

> I have a Latok Alpine in red, used it the last two seasons in Scotland and walking my dog. Showing no real signs of wear, the jacket can climb up to VII, not sure if the blue or black colour can though!

I've got the Latok Alpine, also in red. Unfortunately mine can't climb VII - maybe I should ask for my money back!

Really great jacket - it's showing a bit of wear after 3 seasons climbing + cycling most days over two winters, which is probably fairly reasonable

I also like the look of the Crux flak jacket, but haven't seen one in the shops yet.
OP nodwas 12 Jun 2009
In reply to nodwas: Cool i might have to invest then!
Also anyone know anything about the Mountain Hardware beryllium jacket, its pretty reduced on cotswolds at the mo!
In reply to nodwas: Well worth to invest the few extra pounds. As with all ME equipment, they know how to make good equipment (along with BD)
Lio 13 Jun 2009
In reply to davidhw:
> (In reply to Stuart the postie)
>
> [...]
>
>
> I've got the Latok Alpine, also in red.
>
> Really great jacket - it's showing a bit of wear after 3 seasons climbing + cycling most days over two winters, which is probably fairly reasonable
>
How often have you reproofed it in that time?
I have had mine about 9 months, not used it a lot and the jacket wetted out and I was soaked to the skin wearing it in a downpour recently.
Bergen pants ( event) didn't fair any better, second time I've worn them in heavy rain, first time they were fine, second time I was soaked.

fishy1 13 Jun 2009
In reply to nodwas: http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/html/Mens_Clothing/Waterproofs/Hillwalking_&a...

£240, if I needed a new jacket and didn't have sources to get it cheap, I'd go for this.
In reply to Lio:

Only washed it/re proofed it once. I'm a great believer that if it rains, you get wet, regardless what you are wearing! Things keep you dry for so long, then as long as something has holes, ie, hood, zip, kuffs, water will get in.

For me, the difference is how comfortable are they to wear, when it's not raining!

Stuart
Lio 13 Jun 2009
In reply to Stuart the postie:
> (In reply to Lio)
>
> Only washed it/re proofed it once. I'm a great believer that if it rains, you get wet, regardless what you are wearing!

Yes, I completely agree with you, but I was surpised at just how wet I got and how quickly, I was soaked through to the skin.
 thin bob 13 Jun 2009
In reply to nodwas:
a hard-ish shell, maybe...but i really like Furtech. slim cut, good hood & features. think paramo crossed with Rab
massive vent zips as well.
PDB 13 Jun 2009
In reply to nodwas:
get to a shop that sells outoor clothing and try on as many as possible, only you know what hard shell will be best for you, what will fit you and what you can afford. it's no good asking other people is it? it's you that will be wearing it not them.
5cifi - BAD SELLER 13 Jun 2009
In reply to fishy1: how did you find that on there ?

I can't find it unless I use your link
 fishy1 13 Jun 2009
In reply to 5cifi: Connections.

But I think they may have sold out now.
5cifi - BAD SELLER 13 Jun 2009
In reply to fishy1: What do you mean connections ?

When i did the product code search (PN56785) they're we're still no luck
Scimitar 13 Jun 2009
In reply to nodwas: I have worn a RAB Latok since they came out and used it from the Arktic to the Alps and Africa. It is far more breathable and out performs Goretex by far. I won't go into the science as it is to complicated for a reply but worth researching for yourself. It will show the comparisons between the two. I use the Latok rather than the Latok Alpine as it is marginally heavier but has more pockets which if you are instructing is a bonus.
 davidhw 14 Jun 2009
In reply to Lio:
> (In reply to davidhw)
> [...]
> How often have you reproofed it in that time?

I've been wetted out a few times also recently. e.g. after walking up to the CIC hut in the pouring rain, but it is an old jacket and has been used a lot. it's generally OK unless I'm in a real downpour, in which case I'd consider turning back anyway.

I've reproofed it a few times. These days the proofing isn't lasting as well as I'd like - I try to make a point of tech washing it after each trip. These days I need to stick it in the tumble drier / give it an iron to get the proofing to really work.

Lio 14 Jun 2009
In reply to davidhw:>
> I've reproofed it a few times. These days the proofing isn't lasting as well as I'd like - I try to make a point of tech washing it after each trip. These days I need to stick it in the tumble drier / give it an iron to get the proofing to really work.

Thanks, maybe that's what I need to do a wee bit more. As Stuart said above, I certainly don't expect to stay 100% dry and the breathability and comfort of the jacket is really good.

davidhw 14 Jun 2009
In reply to Lio:

exactly
OP nodwas 19 Jun 2009
In reply to nodwas: Cool cheers guys i managed to pick up a ME Kongour or however its spelt for 199 and it was brilliant just had a week of instructing and was brilliant i even tested its breathability and ran to a checkpoint with my pack on hood up and it seemed pretty good
Cheers for the advice!!
5cifi - BAD SELLER 19 Jun 2009
In reply to nodwas: Was it the standard Kongur or the MR Kongur ?

I'm guessing for 199 to was a standard ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...