UKC

Glenmore lodge winter climbing course

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 geoff.comley 14 Jun 2009
hey everyone, i am interested in starting winter climbing this year and have bought most of the appropriate gear to do so. i live near Glenmore lodge Avimore and therefore would like to take a course there, the only problem being im not sure which, as they are quite expensive for me and i want to take the right one. I have no previous experience although i will be going out by my self to get used to crampons and using the axes. I plan on lead climbing eventually in Scotland and the alps.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
 george mc 14 Jun 2009
In reply to geoff.comley:

Why don't you call the Lodge and ask to speak to one of the instructors there?
OP geoff.comley 14 Jun 2009
In reply to george mc: yeah i tried to get in contact with them yesterday along with an email sent a while ago, I’ll try again tomorrow. also I just wanted to ask the very knowledgeable people at UKC!
OP geoff.comley 14 Jun 2009
i was also wondering how intensive the 5 day lead winter climbing course is? anyone done it at glenmore lodge?
In reply to geoff.comley: I would suggest giving Andy Nisbet a shout - he will give you a day rate so you can progress at your own pace i.e. do two days then practice and then go back for another two days or more or less to suit you. He has a profile on this site and also is based close by Avimore (Boat of Garten). I went out with him to learn Trad and it was superb a real learning experience. He will reply to your emails quickly too unlike the Lodge.
 BelleVedere 15 Jun 2009

If you live near Glenmore and have some flexible availability - it might also be worth contacting them and seeing if you can get on there guine pigs list - that's people to act as 'clients' for people on leader training and certification.

IIRC there are more details on the website
 2pints 15 Jun 2009

Dare I say your about 4 months too late?
OP geoff.comley 15 Jun 2009
In reply to 2pints: well i have just got interested recently in the sport and am keen to sort out evreything for next year (febuary time)which is maybe a bit premature?
In reply to es: yeah good idea i might try that, cheers
In reply to Dave Morrison: cheers dave i'll try and contact him today and see what he sais, thanks again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...