UKC

Winter climbing at glenmore lodge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 geoff.comley 14 Jun 2009
Hey, i am planning on doing a winter skills course at glenmore lodge January/Febuary time and was wondering how hard the climbing is on the winter lead climbing course is as i am only a beginner, anyone have any experiance of this course?

thanks
In reply to geoff.comley:

Best contact them for the definitive answer. They will be almost certainly be happy to advice you. Georg Mac often comes on this site so maybe he will answer.

TTFN

Jamie
 dickie01 16 Jun 2009
I did a Winter Climbing course with them and when i went they teamed me up with another of similar abillity and we were designated an instructor for the week (Andy Turner), the instructor asseses your competance as the week goes on and decides how hard the climbing needs to be. we did a grade 3,4 and 5. i had a great week and couldn't speak higher of the staff, the accomodation, the food, the facillities, the Mountain Instructors and the evening seminars. I learned a great deal that week.
Tip, if you have far to go to get there a National Express to Aviemore cost me £39 return from London Victoria.
OP geoff.comley 16 Jun 2009
yeah evreyone i speak to say the same about courses at glenmore, although i think i might go with andy nisbet as he lives closer to me (im in keith) and used to work at glenmore lodge, he also does custom courses to suit your needs. thanks for replying to my question
 sutty 16 Jun 2009

One thing to remember about courses, you need to be hill fit before you get there to get the best out of them. Wading through peat bogs for a few miles then walking up a hill will give you an idea of how fit you should be if possible.

Soft deep snow, breaking crust snow where you stand on it then it breaks are both tiring. Add cold, driving snow and you find out how fit and tough you are.
 'Hilda' 16 Jun 2009

Went on a winter climbing course about 4 years ago - I was the only one on my course, which meant I had an absolutely fantastic week climging on a 1:1 ratio! As there was only me, I ended up doing far more climbing and ended up doing stuff that at the beginning of the week that I would have seen as being far beyong my (perceived) capabilities.

In reply to sutty: your right about fitness, ive never been winter climbing in a storm or anything close to it, but i do alot of hill walking in summer and mountain biking, also i have just recently had to stop boxing training but that got me pretty fit. Lets hope i can improve my fitness specific for the course.
 Ron Walker 16 Jun 2009

You boxing training should come in handy for the popular winter routes...!
In reply to Ron Walker: haha i dont think that boxing matches on the side of a mountain will catch on!
 dickie01 17 Jun 2009
boxing matches

Bouts
Geoffrey Michaels 17 Jun 2009

Course they will, post a picture of someone climbing in "lean conditions" (no snow) then name the time and place for you to meet your opponent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...