UKC

Krabs on a Plane

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
dan leitch 15 Jun 2009
I'm lucky enough to be going to Sardinia this summer (family holiday not just climbing) I'm limited to Jet2 weight limit (22kg plus 10kg hand luggage), Does anyone know what gear Jet2/airport security will and won't let you take in hand luggage?
In reply to dan leitch: dont think you ca take krabs in hand luggage, dont think you can take snakes either.
 Nigel Modern 15 Jun 2009
In reply to dan leitch: Not sure about Jet2 but generally anything remotely 'exciting' will need to go in the hold
dan leitch 15 Jun 2009
In reply to Brendan Hanratty: Ta Brendan any idea about rope as thats the heaviest item I'm tryin to keep out of the suitcase?
dan leitch 15 Jun 2009
In reply to Nigel Modern:How about rope? I can see that I could easily attack someone and take over the plane with my evil quickdraws...come to think of it they are Nitro's so they will probably be deemed explosives but surely no-one could be scared of a little rope?
I've had it with these mother-f*cking krabs on this mother-f*cking plane?
 Dr Rorlasaurus 15 Jun 2009
In reply to highaltitudebarista:

Damn you 2 mins too late
 Andy Hardy 15 Jun 2009
In reply to dan leitch:

Is the plane on a conveyor belt?
 RAK 15 Jun 2009
In reply to dan leitch:
I've taken krabs, friends, nuts and slings in hand luggage without any problems.
dan leitch 15 Jun 2009
In reply to RAK: Thanks RAK for the voice of experience. Does anyone know how to find out for sure? I'm guessing that Jet2 will charge me for even asking the question!
 The RigPig 15 Jun 2009
In reply to dan leitch:

Ryan air wouldn't allow a rope in our hand luggage, it had to be checked in and extra bagage paid for ! Grrrrr.........
In reply to dan leitch: from what iv read on these forums its pretty down to the discretion of the person checking your bag but i guess large bits of metal like krabs will usualy not be allowed
 gonggashan 15 Jun 2009
In reply to Brendan Hanratty:

Last time I flew with gear nuts, hexes and a nut key in hand luggage - These were fine but there was no way I was getting on with 50 ml lip gloss in a tube. It depends - I've done luggage swaps both ways - hold to hand luggage and hand luggage to hold at different airports. Putting metal in hand luggage is a great way of reducing hold luggage weight though.
anthonyecc 15 Jun 2009
In reply to dan leitch: Its never the airline that has a say on it as its the security that scan your bag that vet what is allowed but it is worth asking the check in clerk (although it is usually a blanket NO to all things shiny and metallic). You wouldn't want to get to security with a full rack and have to pay extra to check it in!
 jbird 15 Jun 2009
In reply to dan leitch: cool when you off!?
kluz 15 Jun 2009
In reply to dan leitch: I flew from Shannon to Stansted, this is what happened to me. Well got to security and the woman says I don’t think you will be allowed to take that on board, then a guy comes over and says you could hit someone with that (quickdraws) then the airport policeman says no you can’t take that on board. He says I could tie people up with the rope 50m 9mm could tie up the whole plane. I laugh, he says I could use the hex’s as a weapon, to this I say I am a lethal weapon, I don’t have to use anything.
In the end I have to go back down and pay 20 euro to put it in the hold. With the weight in it I should have paid 200 euro but the guy let me off.
In reply to dan leitch: to be fair i would just be on the safe side and put it in my actual luggage..you hav 22kgs!!! i carried a fairly comprehensive trad rack to oz with a load of clothes to go tavelling for 4 months so you should be fineif you really need to take 22 kgs of other stuff tht you CANT live without then contact your airline!
In reply to dan leitch: oh just to add my luggage came to 18kgs
5cifi - BAD SELLER 15 Jun 2009
In reply to Nigel Modern: I carried on board a thompson aircraft a bag full of vhf radio's and the chargers and docks.

Not stopped or questioned about them at all. Hope that helps
 David Riley 16 Jun 2009
In reply to dan leitch:

A couple of times I've taken all the krabs off and taped them together with packing tape to go in hand baggage. Makes quite a heavy compact lump.
I can't see why they would object and they haven't.
 pottsworth 16 Jun 2009
In reply to dan leitch:
I've always taken may hardware onboard (rope normally gets checked in), they normally want to get it out and see it, and sometimes call the boss over, although I've only ever once been made to check it in. On time though the boss did ask (without taking anything out of my bag) if any of the QDs were open loop slings, but they were all DMM mambas for a sport trip so he was cool with it.
The one time I had to check it in I was with easyjet, carying only a set of QDs (aka handcuffs . . .) and a grigri. They put the bag in the hold for free, although I was one of a 40 strong group, some of who got through with 60m ropes and QDs, guess it comes down to who is on security
 JoshOvki 16 Jun 2009
In reply to pottsworth:

All my hardware is getting checked in. Too much effort trying to get them through security. I've had problems getting my SIG bottle through before as well so have left it at home (what a mistake am dyeing for a drink)
 teflonpete 16 Jun 2009
In reply to dan leitch:
I took my harness, rock shoes, Karabiner and belay plate in my hand luggage and trad gear and rope in my hold luggage back in the early spring when we went to Spain.
Didn't have any problems and I figured that if my hold luggage got lost, I'd still have enough gear to tie into someone else's rope and climb.
Everything was fine (apart from my general lack of condition and climbing ability!)
 Matt Schwarz 16 Jun 2009
In reply to dan leitch: you have a limit on your hand luggage too so putting hardwear in there is of no advantage anyway surely?
dan leitch 16 Jun 2009
In reply to dan leitch: Hey thanks for the great advice everyone. seems like there is no definitive answer. Some of you have been lucky and some not so. Think I'll not take the risk and will just have to check the gear in and carry as much clothing as possible in the hand luggage.
OP Anonymous 16 Jun 2009
In reply to dan leitch:

Quickdraws look like handcuffs on x-ray machines. Even after the guard saw them he made us leave them in an airport locker. Also we had to leave a rope behind as you could tie someone up with it....

Only morons become airport security people
 bryn 17 Jun 2009
In reply to dan leitch:

Had to bin a rope from hand luggage coming back from Italy last week. It would have cost £60 to check it in with Ryanair!!!!

I had asked airport security about climbing gear before and what is acceptable for hand luggage, and their reply was 'we don't discuss airport security', so very helpful.

Bryn
 Max factor 17 Jun 2009
In reply to bryn:

put it all in the hold, airport security is so random that sometimes stuff is allowed through and sometimes it isn't, even at the same airport.

I'll also say - 22kg + 10kg hand luggage; isn't that enough?

I've regularly managed a trip to the alps with camping gear, double ropes, 12 quickdraws, a small rack, crampons, axe, big boots etc within the Ryanair allowance of 15kg.

existing debt 17 Jun 2009
In reply to dan leitch: I caused a scare at Geneva due to my primus omni stove, you would think someone at the airport on the doorstep to teh alps would of reconised that it was jsut a stove, Swiss tools!!

as said before, anything shiney, metal, or rope like just pack away in the hold.

Paul T

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...