UKC

Alpine Boot Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Dunn 19 Jun 2009
Please help!

I am looking to get some new boots, upgrading from Scarpa Phantom Lites, for use in the Alps in September, possibly winter Alpine, Waterfall Ice on the Continent and of course Scottish Winter.

I don't think that La Sportiva Trango Extreme Evo Lights will give enough warmth for cold temps or support for extended front-pointing...

So I have narrowed it down to two possibilities; La Sportiva Batura ( http://www.mtntools.com/cat/alpineice/boots/lasportivabaturaboots.htm ) and Asolo EFS Evoluzione ( http://www.rei.com/product/719716 ).

Can any one point me in the right direction or give some feedback on either of these products?

Much appreciated,
James
 HimTiggins 19 Jun 2009
In reply to james dunn:

Hopefully this won't confuse things, but I have a pair of La Sportiva Extreme Evo Lights. I've only worn them for one season in Scotland so far, but I haven't had a problem with cold feet at all, and extended front pointing up Hadrian's Wall Direct and Indicator Wall wasn't a problem either ...
 Martin M 19 Jun 2009
In reply to james dunn:
James,
I've got both the Phantom lites (though my pair are 3 years old and no longer waterproof or warm) and a new pair of Batura's I got last winter. The Batura's are much warmer and ideal for Alps in winter, but are much less waterproof than the Phantom's, not ideal for Scotland in winter with all the bog trotting involved. Saying that, I also have an old pair of Asolo Evolutionise, the black ones. These are very warm, but do not have much sensation for climbing, definately much less than the Batura's. They also have a very flat sole unit so walking is not as comfortable.

You're best bet might be to stick with you Phantom's for Scotland and get Batura's for the Alps, or even go to La Sportiva Nepal Extreme's which my mates use in the alps in winter and Scotland in winter (they don't seem to fit my feet well.)

Hope this helps a bit.

Martin
OP James Dunn 19 Jun 2009
In reply to james dunn: Thanks for your help guys...don't think I'll really actually need a plastic double boot, maybe a bit overkill.

The Extreme Evo Lights are growing on me as well! Hmmmm, still none the wiser. There is 236 grams difference in weight so I guess it would boil down to whether or not I want the extra warmth.

Interesting that the Batura isn't waterproof around the gaiter, a definite damper for Scotland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...