UKC

Clip-on sunglasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gabriel_m 19 Jun 2009
I've ordered some prescription sunglasses for a trip to the Alps, but I'm concerned that they won't come in time. Is anyone aware of anywhere that still sells clip-on sunglasses? They're rubbish, I know, but they'd be better than nothing which is what I'll be going with otherwise. It seems the high street retailers have stopped selling them, in order to sell more full frames I assume.
 mary 19 Jun 2009
In reply to gabriel_m:
I get mine in a small local chemist about £9.00, they survive life in the rucksack and flip up when not needed, doesnt matter if they get scratched, but I don't climb in them.....
Mary
 joshedwr 19 Jun 2009
In reply to gabriel_m: ebay?
Offa 20 Jun 2009
In reply to gabriel_m:

Boots (though,strangely, not in the Optician's - Hereford - ) regular store £20.00 (a rip off).

D&H Opticians £7.00. Polaroid. Excellent! Sad news is they are being taken over by Boots. Told 'em I hope Boots follow their (D&H) pricing!
OP gabriel_m 20 Jun 2009
In reply to Offa: Thanks for the tip. I think the deal has already been done actually, and Boots are going to get rid of the D&H brand in the near future. I'll check it out today.
 Solaris 20 Jun 2009
In reply to gabriel_m:

Have you thought about buying goggles? The Julbo Gravits (category 3) come in a version designed to be worn over glasses and will give you enough protection from UV (which clip ons won't).

http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Glacier_Glasses_57.html
Oceanwall 20 Jun 2009
In reply to gabriel_m:

IF you wear prescription transition lenses for driving then you will find that you need clip-ons as well to avoid being blinded by bright sunlight.

Transitions are good outdoors but not behind a car windscreen.

I got my clip-ons from the same optician I purchased my glasses from.
OP gabriel_m 21 Jun 2009
I think in the long term I'm going to get contacts sorted, my astigmatism had made me reluctant for a long time but I'm told the technology has come a long way.

I had found some prescription frames with very wide plastic sides which I'd ordered as polarised sunglasses, but I think I was a little slow off the mark. I was under the impression that wearing goggles all day could be a bit sweaty or irritating, especially with glasses underneath, but I've not tried.

I went down to D&H after phoning to ask if they had any in stock. The manager dug around in a desk for a bit before finding a presentation case with only a few pairs left in it. He bent a couple of the clips to fit my frames better and then rummaged around some more to find the case for them. After wiping the thick layer of dust off the case he charged me £25.

Because it was early in the morning, I'd just cycled on an empty stomach and I was feeling desperate it didn't really sink in. When I got home I looked at the receipt and it said 'Sundry Items'. There's no way they wouldn't have a code for them on the system and I reckon after seeing I needed them, the manager just made up a price. Might write a letter.

Just need to fashion some side guards now, any tips?
 Solaris 22 Jun 2009
In reply to gabriel_m:
> Just need to fashion some side guards now, any tips?

When my wife used prescription dark glasses, we made side guards out of wire and black gaffer tape. (Her eyes are changing so much nowadays that it'd be too expensive to keep on getting new glasses every time we go to the alps.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...