UKC

Midges, how do people deal with them?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mlmatt 22 Jun 2009
Ok the midges are out this season already (I've already ran from the base of one crag because of them). I'm not letting them stop me enjoying climbing this summer so:

How do people deal with midges, ie what insect repellent, garlic pill etc do poeple use?

And what actually works?
 SFM 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Appparently marmite works well. You smear it over exposed skin to stop them biting.
 Only a hill 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:
I just put up with the buggers--I am lucky enough not to have a reaction to the bites other than very mild itching.

Some of my friends, however, come out in enormous lumps and end up looking like the elephant man after a few hours.
OP mlmatt 22 Jun 2009
In reply to SFM:

ok then, marmite is a last resort, this will be if I can't climbing in a NBC suit!
superfurrymonkey 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:
Google Avon skin so soft and midges! A friend told me it works better than any repelent on the market.
 dave o 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

running around and swearing is the only reliable way of getting rid of them....or sitting in a pub.
 Oceanic 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

I suffer pretty bad with midge bites. The following seems to help though...

Avoiding windless spots.
Anti histamine tablets.
Avon skin so soft.
Wearing a hoodie and occasionally a midge net.
Going to the pub when it gets really bad.
Chris Tan Ver. LI - On the Bog 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

> And what actually works?

Small tactical thermonuclear device dropped in the area just before climbing!
 SonyaD 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: When it's sunny, muggy and no wind, then go as high as possible to climb. When the midgies are rife, forget Avon stuff (it's crap unless you're dealing with soft, southern midgies, or just small numbers of midgies)
If there are large swarms of them (aka NW Scotland stylee) then DEET will stop them biting for a short amount of time, as will Autan. A midge net is a must, as is covering up.

If you're camping, choose a spot away from trees, lochs or boggy spots. Camping on a beach with a breeze can help as can camping on high ground. Again, a net is a must. If you need to leave your tent to do stuff, then walking about whilst you do whatever you have to do keeps them away. If you're going for the toilet, then net up, deet on and just suffer.
 omerta 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

I went sailing this weekend and my friend got midged to death and they didn't touch me! I just wanted to, er, add that.
 Oceanic 22 Jun 2009
In reply to SonyaD:

I agree with you that DEET is more effective than Skin So Soft, but I find that when I'm wild camping I don't wash that often, and find that DEET feels really unpleasant on my skin if I don't wash it off every evening.
 nikinko 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

I was on a trip with someone earlier in the week who doesn't get bitten at all! huh? we were putting the tents down, and she quite happily stands in a cloud of them chatting away, saying 'oh yeah, I didn't notice there are a few around'. Me, 18 hours later and the bites on my face still burn like nettle rash. and the wee bastards managed to get into my tent (my fault).

as for dealing with them, sod organic stuff, full strength deet, hood up, and a buff covering most of my face. Failing that retreat to car/tent/pub.
 Jamie B 22 Jun 2009
In reply to SonyaD:

> If you're going for the toilet, then net up, deet on and just suffer.

Or use a pee bottle. I do however tend to see camping in Scotland throughout the summer as being a questionable option!

tom r 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: Not bothering at all as it isn't worth getting bitten to buggery.
 SonyaD 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Oceanic: DEET is unpleasant, but if it's a choice between an unpleasant feeling on my skin or midgies annoying me, I know what I'd go for.
Also, I take a small pack of wipes with me when I'm camping, so I can clean my hands and face (no need to be manky just cos your camping) Not much weight at all, and can fit in a wee corner of your sack. You can get scentless ones, so you don't smell all flowery
 SonyaD 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: Sometimes you've no choice but to camp though (ie if you've not enough money to even hut or hostel it) and I've found a net and Autan enough to make even the Torridonian midge just about bearable when we camped. It did mean packing up before eating breakfast/having a brew and moving to a higher spot, and even then we just sat in the car.
I don't really need to camp as much now though as Andy isn't too far from Torridon etc so we can drive up and back in a day no probs, and he has access to huts too.

Pee bottle is a good idea, not so easy if your a girl though (and I've tried one of those sheewee things, and it's messy!)
 Siward 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: A midge jacket is, I think, the best form of protection.

http://www.midgejacket.co.uk/jackets.html
andytids 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Take up smoking a pipe.

Oh, and waving your arms in the air cursing loudly!!!!
 Castleman 22 Jun 2009
In reply to andytids:

You can also do this in the comfort of your own home with slippers, roaring fire and cup of tea like my grandad.

fordie77 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

I've got a little zapper thingy for use if you do get bitten- it passes a small current through the bite and breaks down the histamine allegedly. I was quite sceptical when I first got it, but it really works at stopping the itching once bitten. You have to use it repeatedly though.

I've never found an effective way of not getting bitten
Paul F 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Options.
A deet based insect repellant, 'Ultrathon' is one of the best, but not cheap
'Wimas Nordic Summer', especially for the wee beasties.
Take off and nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
 SFM 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Siward:

My mate who lives in the wilds of Lochaber has one of these for working outside in. Reckons it's the best thing he's ever bought! Tempted to get one for my next Scotland trip.
 Only a hill 22 Jun 2009
In reply to andytids:
> (In reply to mlmatt)
>
> Take up smoking a pipe.
>
> Oh, and waving your arms in the air cursing loudly!!!!

I am seriously considering taking up smoking a pipe as I believe it would have many advantages in this area.
Paul F 22 Jun 2009
 Jamie B 22 Jun 2009
In reply to SonyaD:

BTW, have belatedly replied to your question on the "Wall-bred Climbers" thread.
 richparry 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:
The best insect repellent I have used is a 50/50 mix of TCP and Detol. When mixed, it turns into a milky coloured liquid and works better than any of the insect repellents available in the shops.
The only downside is that it stinks and doesn't wash off very easily.
 Yanis Nayu 22 Jun 2009
In reply to sarah79:
> (In reply to mlmatt)
>
> I went sailing this weekend and my friend got midged to death and they didn't touch me! I just wanted to, er, add that.

They've no taste!
Paul F 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

You could make your own natural repellant from plants.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/pests/plants.htm
 Gerald Davison 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:
I stick with the Avon Skin so Soft. It needs applying frequently though - much more than DEET based stuff.

I avoid DEET as I am not keen on putting anything on my skin that dissolves plastic!

After that - use barriers, like nets and hoods, also gloves.

Oh, I always tuck my trousers into my socks too... looks stupid, but stops them biting my legs and ankles.
 PeterM 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Midge net, or in days of yore when doing the peats it was bank-robber haute couture with a stocking over your head. repellents are generally a waste of money - never found one that works. Oh and cover up as much skin as possible. It is not complicated.....
 jkarran 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Cover up leaving only one eyeball exposed. Occasionally pick the dead midges out of the eye, ideally before they bite it. That said, I don't do chemicals so the frantic hand-wavey, face-clawing dance is the only other alternative

jk
 Fidget 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Most the time I can't be bothered with bug spray any more, it's stinky and sticky and not good for ropes. I just let them bite me and use antihistamines afterwards which stops me itching. If they fly round my face I try my spray (50% deet to stop them biting with added repellent), and if that doesn't work I swiftly abandon ship, or just get on the sharp end of the rope and leave my belayer to deal with them
 Martin W 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: I prefer citronella-based repellants to DEET. I can happily spray my entire head in the stuff and it does seem to keep the wee nasties at bay for a while. When they get really determined, though, a midge net for the head and no exposed skin elsewhere is the only thing that works. I'm reasonably lucky though in that I don't react to the bites, although I hate the feeling of them crawling around in my hair, in my ears, up my nose etc etc. I find my normal antihistamine tablets (Benadryl) are reasonably effective for reducing the irritation.

The other thing that seems to help is being in the company of my red-haired pal Mikey, who seems to get plagued by them a lot worse than I do. I am seriously considering asking him whether he can get time off to come with us to Arran next month for this very reason...
 tallsteve 22 Jun 2009
I'm told eating large amounts of garlic works as it oozes out of your pores - giving total body protection. They are also attracted to CO2 so a gas lamp gives them another target (candles may also work this way.)

The above may also prevent vampire problems!
 bivy spirit 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

didn't 'skin so soft' come up in a recent thread with folk saying that avon have changed the formula in recent years and the new stuff doesn't work the same way? i know the squaddies used to swear by the stuff...

so far DEET seems the way but i avoid it unless i'm really suffering. very toxic stuff but when the chips are down it seems to do the trick.

camping wise- i just refuse to camp low in summer, but obviously your plans for a trip might not allow for hiking 3000ft just to get to bed every night. last july found me suffering the worst midgie attack i've ever experienced- i'd spent a night on the tops but then came down to loch long to meet family and was too tired to head back up again in the evening. i feebly waltzed up 1000ft (i gather you've got to make it to around 3000ft to escape them) in the hope of avoiding the monsters and spent the night chainsmoking in the bivy with no repellant. not pleasant.
 catt 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Gerald Davison:

> I avoid DEET as I am not keen on putting anything on my skin that dissolves plastic!

Are you made of plastic?
FiendishMcButton 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Shave a goat and use it as you midge lure.
 catt 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Life Systems Midge Repellant (3 strengths of DEET concentration available I think) works, and works well. Get that and a floppy sun type hat. Spray it liberally on your hat, and then only on your skin when things get bad. I normally spray it on my hat or a cloth and then wipe it on. Saves getting overly DEETy hands for handling your kit.

Get a midge net (again floppy brimmed hat under keeps the netting off your face.

Get a good fire going. You wont see one for dust.

Avon Skin Soft is a well run marketing campaign. It's not a repellent, it just forms a greasy barrier so the midges don't bite and instead get stuck on your skin. Pleasant.
 catt 22 Jun 2009
In reply to FiendishMcButton:
> (In reply to mlmatt)
>
> Shave a goat and use it as you midge lure.

Sick man. Good idea.
mlbower 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: Wild garlic is rife in damp areas at this time of year, the leaves of which when rubbed on the skin make you absolutely stink but should do the trick.

If you don't know what it looks like then you shouldn't have much trouble finding some as it absolutely bloody stinks of garlic!!

Stig 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: I post this nearly every year as we have a sure fire system for beating the midges when climbing on grit on summer evenings -ideal because often no-one else is out in otherwise perfect conditions.

When belaying, wear a long sleeve cotton top and trousers. Tuck your trousers into woollen socks. Wear a midge net over your head. Put DEET on the back of your hands/wrists (just man up, nothing else works properly). When climbing you don't need the net as they don't tend to go for moving targets and there is usually a breeze on the top.

Enjoy the climbing...
Paul F 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Stig:

...and don't wear dark clothing, they are attracted to it for some reason.
 crabduck 22 Jun 2009
In reply to catt:
> (In reply to FiendishMcButton)
> [...]
>
> Sick man. Good idea.

You can borrow my mate Andy, he doesn't need to be shaved and is ideal - for whatever reason they are attracted to him in droves which leaves me blissfully free of bites.
 Mikkel 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Oceanic:
> (In reply to SonyaD)
don't wash that often,

That i probably a good advice aswell.

When taken part in Nicolas famous midge experiment, i wasnt allow to wash(much) and when i did have a bath i found that the midges suddenly started biting me.
But ofcourse i was taking part in the research due to beeing natural repellant so wheter it will make it worse for "normal" people im not sure of.
 Gerald Davison 22 Jun 2009
In reply to catt:
LOL! No, but my watch strap is.....
Serpico 22 Jun 2009
In reply to FiendishMcButton:
> (In reply to mlmatt)
>
> Shave a goat and use it as you midge lure.

Didn't he co-write that Band Aid single with Bob geldof?

FiendishMcButton 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: yeh it was a silent 'L'
 Offwidth 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Think about what to do and when. On Windy days choose sheltered crags with enough wind to keep the buggers off. On stiller days look for exposed crags in the sun facing any wind. If there is no wind or sun take precautions.. climb on crags where midges are less of a problem (urban quarries often good); tuck trousers into socks; wear a very lightweight top with elasticated wrists and possibly a hood; use midge repellant on any exposed skin (avoid DEET as although it works, it dissolves some plastics and can cause major skin problems) my favorite being 'Skin So Soft' (needs applying several times a day) and a garlic overdose the night before. In real bad conditions if you must climb, recognise you are mad anyway and hence you can happily wear a net over your head.

Jamie B 22 Jun 2009
In reply to sarah79:

> I went sailing this weekend and my friend got midged to death and they didn't touch me!

Maybe you are Naturally Repellant; a friend was doing some research on this which involved studying the, er, emissions of Naturally Repellant people.
 glasto_mudd 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

I use a shotgun. Best to get them all in one fell swoop
 Jamie B 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Skin so Soft does work, despite the scepticism here, and is a far kinder chemical to skin and gear than DEET-based options. You do need to really clart it on though; in "full" midge conditions the first application is rarely sufficient.
 gethin_allen 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Fidget:
Re. DEET on ropes. Sterlin ropes (and a few other manufactures i think) did a few experiments soaking nylon ropes and specra (dyneema for americans) slings in 95% DEET and another brand of insect repellent (7% DEET) and they found no significant reduction of strength in the 95% DEET samples but an increase in stretchiness in the other repellent due to solvents.
I use 95% DEET and yes I try not to get it all over my gear, but i'm slightly less bothered now if i touch some gear with a trace of the stuff on my hands.
mac7120 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:Areosol and a fag lighter!
Slugain Howff 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Interestingly (or not as the case may be) I accepted a squirt of someones DEET this weekend and it melted the nose pads on my specs.

Slugain whose skin's so soft
 Tom Last 22 Jun 2009

Wind is their only real ememy; but I find Skin So Soft and Golden Virginia help too!
 CurlyStevo 22 Jun 2009
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to Fidget)
> Re. DEET on ropes. Sterlin ropes (and a few other manufactures i think) did a few experiments soaking nylon ropes and specra (dyneema for americans) slings in 95% DEET and another brand of insect repellent (7% DEET) and they found no significant reduction of strength in the 95% DEET samples but an increase in stretchiness in the other repellent due to solvents.
> I use 95% DEET and yes I try not to get it all over my gear, but i'm slightly less bothered now if i touch some gear with a trace of the stuff on my hands.
Right but did they test the various other man made fibers in your rack like the fibres used to sew your harness together ?
 CurlyStevo 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: I think the active ingrediant in SSS is a concentrated citric acidic derivative, some of these a such as lemonine are damaging to climbing gear.
 Misha 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Write poems about them?
In reply to mlmatt: try taking B vitamins regularly and EAT the marmite don't smear that gunk on! and use Avon Skin So Soft, both work for me although they will still swarm around you they won't bite much (thats how it works for me)
 Lamb 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: Dont breathe
 abr1966 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: Going back some time to my time in the services we swore by Avon and chain smoking....seemed to do the trick i remember!
 ChrisHolloway1 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: Avon Skin So so soft, we got a deal on it at work through Jim, got 2 bottles for £5, works a dream, give him a buzz if you're interested
 Sam Edwards 22 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: i use a needle and a straw. works well as a harpoon. takes a lot of trainig to hit the buggers but its worth it. failing that make friends with someone who the midges love more than you and stick to them like glue
 PontiusPirate 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Offwidth:

I can vouch for the skin problems induced by DEET

I now Citronella-based stuff on my face and a "midge burkha"!

PP.

Y Gribin 22 Jun 2009
In reply to superfurrymonkey:

Don't know if it's any better but Avon now do a 'midge specific' Skin so Soft:

http://www.avon.com/1/3/bug-spray-for-body

I always found the old stuff unpleasantly sticky and needing constant reapplicance.
 gethin_allen 22 Jun 2009
In reply to CurlyStevo:
From what i understand about their research they soaked entire slings in the various repellents, that would include the stitching. So the question is; is the stitching on harnesses of the same type of thread used on slings?
 Michael Ryan 23 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Lot's of stuff here - including a song, the BBC Scotland Zap a midge game, and other stuff...

Outdoor Research Competition: Midges - A Poem and Video

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1864
 Trangia 23 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

The marmite suggestion works a treat. You need to smear it thickly all over your body before you put your clothes on. Make certain there is plently on the palms of your hands and finger tips. A few dabs on the soles of your rock shoes will ensure that it also builds up on the holds so that anyone following you up a route gets plenty on their finger tips as well. And you won't have to worry about the colour of your rope fading - it will turn into a lovely browny/bronze colour and pick up bits of grit all over it.

It's best if you have your own means of transport to and from the crag as your mates suddenly seem to be reluctant to give you a lift which is strange because by keeping close to you they are also protected from the midges.

Siward 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Trangia:
There is no hope. Everyone will have a similar tale. In Glenfinnan a few years back it was pure Midge hell. We put on every stitch of clothing we had- full winter gear although middle of July, every zip and hood done up. We lit a campfire and stood in the smoke rather than face the midgies. Still they came. They were unbearable so we ran to the car. They started coming in through the window seals, through the air vents tent and filled the inside of the car. We ended up in our tent, elastoplast quickly applied over the holes in the no see um netting, smoking away (don't even smoke!) to keep the atmosphere as anti-midge as possible. Purgatory.
In reply to mlmatt:

In extremis, retire to a zipped up tent, with a coil of 'Moskil' which belches out acrid smoke, and does indeed kill them, but it also kills your taste buds ... which doesn't matter at all in the circumstances.
lostintranslation85 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Siward:

bl*ody hell...

sounds awful!
 steve taylor 23 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

I moved to Dorset! Worked for me.
 valentinesbabe 23 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: I've been told that Avon skinsosoft works...so tried it and got eaten alive up at Peel Crag a couple of weeks ago. When I mentioned it at the campsite I was told that its only the pine one that works!!! Even keeps off the midges in Skye...who are apparently the most determined little monsters, and the girl who mentioned it works at Keilder so should hopefully have some knowledge
 fishy1 23 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: A smokey fire always works good. When this is not an option, I use 55% deet solution. Used to use skin so soft but it's not that good. A couple of times I have used permetherin on clothes, but it's a little nasty and if you're covering yourself in deet you don't need it.
 Enty 24 Jun 2009
In reply to Siward:
> (In reply to Trangia)
> There is no hope. Everyone will have a similar tale. In Glenfinnan a few years back it was pure Midge hell. We put on every stitch of clothing we had- full winter gear although middle of July, every zip and hood done up. We lit a campfire and stood in the smoke rather than face the midgies. Still they came. They were unbearable so we ran to the car. They started coming in through the window seals, through the air vents tent and filled the inside of the car. We ended up in our tent, elastoplast quickly applied over the holes in the no see um netting, smoking away (don't even smoke!) to keep the atmosphere as anti-midge as possible. Purgatory.

Yep, similar thing happened to us at Tilberthwaite many years ago.

Enty

OP mlmatt 24 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Thanks for all the replies. Especially all the funny stories and suggestions.

I'll try avon skin so soft and DEET. If it comes down to it I'll cover myself in marmite (don't worry I'll put a picture up on here if I do).

Failing all that I figure if I prove that they are a disease vector, then maybe we can get an anit-midge program going (like anti mosquito programs).

Thanks for the help anyway!
alessandro di guglielmo 24 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Napalm...
peter whitehead 24 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: shower with any Citrus shower jell,once in the skin it keeps them off,works for me and i live in a hot country.
 Nic 24 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

They don't usually bother me, I mean you might trip over them in the street if you're not looking down, and sometimes they get a bit annoying when they do all that "throwing" stuff, but they're great in films like "Time Bandits"...

...oh, hang on, you said "midges"...
capt nato 24 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:
I fit a smoking midge-coil to the top of my Beanie.
 TheoL 26 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: Was at the roaches the other day and they were out in force, counted 80 bite's over both arms in the end. Didn't bother counting the rest of my body! The next day i used some liveadventure repellent(50% deet). Didn't get AS Many bites, if you keep applying it then i think it will keep you safe. WORD OF WARNING, not only is deet damaging to syntyhetic fibres i.e. ropes, slings and quickdraws. But i applied some on my face(it says you can) and the following day i came out with a huge number of spots on my forhead and i meand loads! Whether it was midges caught in my hair or deet, it was worrying.
 Michael Hood 26 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: Nobody seems to have mentioned how dangerous midges are. I'm sure they're going to kill me one day by making me fall off trying to swat the damn things out of my way so that I can concentrate on the moves.
 pebbles 26 Jun 2009
In reply to Michael Hood: arg! the little bastards were fierce at slipstones last night, eventually drove us off the crag before darkness fell. dont think they actually bit much(for which i thank a marmite sandwich diet)but were absolutely maddening.
Gary McMahon 30 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: Avon 'Skin so Soft' body lotion is the one to use, get it from Avons website or the local sales rep. about £3
 pec 30 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: Has anyone ever tried to fashion a hat with one (or more) of those little hand held fans attached to the brim to bathe the wearer in a constant cooling and hopefully midge free breeze as wind seems the best repellent of all?
Perhaps a manufacturer could devise an attachment device for fixing them to helmets.
 pebbles 30 Jun 2009
In reply to Gary McMahon: works well, but really makes my hands greasy and is hard to get off - not what you want in humid midgy conditions
 joan cooper 30 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt: check Richard Bennets blog in this set of blogs I did and got through Amazon avon skin so soft bug repellant specifically designed for anti midges Just as safe for the skin but sold as a bug repellant.
 sgl0jd 30 Jun 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

i found garlic chili cheese to be quite effective at repelling both midges and humans
 cuthill76 01 Jul 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

I like to use bog myrtle, I just pick some crush it up and rub it on. Seems to keep them off a bit but not totally, don't think there is anything that does.

If there is no bog myrtle where you live / climb then you could try this:

http://www.stopbite.com/

Not used it myself so can't really comment.

If your standing around a lot then a midge net might be an idea.

Cheers,
Iain
 CurlyStevo 01 Jul 2009
In reply to cuthill76:
i got one of the commercial bog myrtle sprays - I can reliably say it was next to useless. Not tried the fresh plants though but have heard they work to a degree.
 pdufus 01 Jul 2009
In reply to mlmatt: I dont, i forget my deet, get bitten half to death and sulk.
bergalia 01 Jul 2009
In reply to mlmatt:

Lavendar oil...and you smell nice too.
 jack_eadie 01 Jul 2009
In reply to mlmatt: Jungle Formula spray, apply lots every 15-20 minutes! Doesn't smell very nice but if used frequently enough keeps the buggers at bay!

I used a whole can last night whilst fishing, the midgies were savage, and I was fine. Skin so Soft is ok but wears off even quicker than Jungle Formula.

Also, take up smoking!
 joe.91 02 Jul 2009
my friends says drink anti-freeze, midges won't want to drink bad tasting blood! :P

PeteA 05 Jul 2009
In reply to mlmatt: I remember an old climbing mate of mine telling me about a Scottish fishing trip in the 70's. 3 blokes bobbing about in a loch on a boat fly fishing... all wearing full leathers and motorbike helmets to keep off the midges LOL
 Fiddler 05 Jul 2009
In reply to mlmatt:
Avon Skin-so-soft works most of the time, but it seems to be more affective in some locations than others. Maybe that's just me though.
Personal combination of Autan (the rub-on stick version), topped up with Jungle Formula (the roll-on version). Tends to have the affect of repelling all known forms of life!
Smoking certainly works too, but it's a hellishly expensive method, and bad for the health apparently.
If all else fails, Napalm should do the trick. The midge doesn't travel far so wipe out a whole glen (for instance) and it'll be midge-free for years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...