UKC

NEWS: Randall and Whittaker - VS - Brown and Whillans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 Jun 2009
[The duo celebrate after their final route, 2 kb]Tom Randall and Pete Whittaker have ticked the Staffordshire grit challenge: Brown and Whillans Day Out.

In a single day, the pair climbed all of the routes listed in the BMC Staffordshire Guidebook that were first climbed by the famous duo of Joe Brown and Don Whillans.

"Ramshaw crack in the soaking wet was not exactly easy!"

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=48146

Wft 30 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: top effort, must be a pair of sadomasochists to do it in this weather.
 Jon Read 30 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:
Well done to the boys. Turner and Shaz only completed about 65%? of the routes before keeling over.

The next generation of challenge awaits: all the Allen-Bancroft routes of Staffordshire (including Churnet) in a day.
 andi turner 30 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Nice one guys! Top effort, such a tough challenge, 'The Nose' of Staffordshire! Hoey and co managed 27 in a day, but slipped on the exit of Crack of Gloom, and Grimer and party, who made the first attempt got to the same point as Shaz and I. Desperate!
 Niall Grimes 30 Jun 2009
In reply to andi turner: Yrah I'm fairly keen tp go and try again. Glad you did ramshaw Crack. Well done.
 sutty 30 Jun 2009
In reply to Niall Grimes:

Look at that picture of Sloth, looks a staircase doesn't it? No more beta needed.
 Jon Read 30 Jun 2009
In reply to sutty:
At least they look tired at the top ... !
 Simon 30 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

good effort guys!

si
 Paz 30 Jun 2009
Effort. for me this was a minitick list of a life time, let alone a day.

"Two, there are... " Damn straight Randall you've got loads to learn.

In reply to Jon Read:
> challenge awaits: all the Allen-Bancroft routes of Staffordshire (including Churnet) in a day.

How enticing. Someone should put them all in one place.
 Jon Read 01 Jul 2009
In reply to Paz:
i should perhaps stress the A-B routes are only from the 70s period; wouldn't be fair to include Allen's 80s additions too. It would mean having to get up Magic Roundabout Ultra Direct...!
 mark s 01 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC News: nice one...me and andi were prob going for our next attempt this weekend or next.gave a couple of the routes a clean last week.
not keen for the nadin challenge tho...
In reply to mark s:

Cheers guys - was a good day out.

Andi and Mark - yeah thanks for the cleaning! I think Graham had cleaned some routes up on previous attempts as well, although lightning crack still felt tricky!

Andi - just the Baker's Dozen race to go then............???!!

Derbyshire Ben 02 Jul 2009
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:

Good effort to both of you.... great to see these challenges being raised and then ticked in good style.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...