UKC

Campervan Hire New Zealand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hat Dude 01 Jul 2009
Going to NZ later in the year & thinking of hiring a campervan; does anyone have any experience of doing this & any recommendations, tips or horror stories to pass on?
I've looked at the online companies that sort out hires so don't really need links to these.
What I'm interested in, are people with 1st hand experiences.
 Banned User 77 01 Jul 2009
In reply to Hat Dude: How long for? Looked very expensive when we looked unless you were taking it for quite a period of time. It may be worth looking to buy and sell while over there, only worth it if doing a longer trip though.
OP Hat Dude 01 Jul 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
We're off for about a month, I thought that it looked quite reasonable for a basic 2 berth camper. Quotes around the £1000 mark, which is why I wanted to know if this might be too good to be true.
 Banned User 77 01 Jul 2009
In reply to Hat Dude: When the Lions tour was on loads did get them for 2-4 weeks, there were some good deals about. That looked about the ideal length to do it. Much longer and it may be worth buying, much less and it's quite an expensive rate.
 Tom Last 01 Jul 2009
In reply to Hat Dude:

Hello Hat Dude.

We rented (once our own van was comprehensively screwed) from what is now Juicy rentals. They were quite reasonably priced from what I remember. Some companies will pay your passage across the Cook Strait as a perk, although this does not always work out to be particularly expedient.

If the hire company will rent you chains for a small fee (think we payed £50) then I'd go for that as it's much more expensive to buy and you may not be allowed along some roads without them (although it sounds like you're going for NZ summer?).

I'd recommend against Wicked campers, about whom we heard some pretty nasty stories, but also because you don't get a choice of what themed camper you get. Basically, they're all spray painted and some we saw were really quite offensive; sexist, homophobic etc, not the sort of thing that you want to be driving around in. They also mark you out very obviously as a tourist, although any camper will.

Juicy, Escape and a few others are all up towards Parnell from the quayside in Auckland. You could just take a walk up there and talk to a few people.

I would definitely recommend against buying for your relatively short stay.
Cheers,
Tom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...