UKC

Roaches midges situation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
fijibaby 02 Jul 2009
Bit of a long shot this, but is the Roaches a little less midge infested than the rest of gritland?
Eastern grit sounds terrible, people being found as skin and bone etc. Is the any chance that the Roaches is a little more friendly? Failing that, are there any other suggestions for places to climb for a climbing starved punter in Worcester?
 CurlyStevo 02 Jul 2009
In reply to fijibaby:
try and pick a crack with exposed rock facing in to the wind, you need the wind to be > 5 mph as they can't fly in that.
fijibaby 02 Jul 2009
In reply to CurlyStevo: I can see it being crack climbing with spotters and a team of towel flappers!
 Ben Callard 02 Jul 2009
In reply to fijibaby:

Was at Burbage North last night and it was fine, put a bit of DEET on and had a top time.
 Adam Long 02 Jul 2009
In reply to fijibaby:

There's a bit of a southerly breeze in The Peak, Roaches should be catching it as well as anywhere on the grit.
 GrahamD 02 Jul 2009
In reply to fijibaby:

Peak Limestone venues tend to be a lot less midgy and are far more pleasent to climb on than grit when its sweaty. Staden, Willersley and parts of Dovedale are also shaded and make excellent hot weather venues.
 TheoL 02 Jul 2009
In reply to fijibaby: Last time i was at the roaches (2 weeks ago) i came back with 80+ bites on my arms alone.
 Stoke-Gaz 02 Jul 2009
In reply to fijibaby: was up the roaches on sunday, and within a couple of hours I had 50 bites just on one leg!!!!! on the flip side though was up there last night and got one, although that could be something to do with dotting citronella oil on my arms and legs.

cheap stuff too, 79p for a little bottle, it works for me, try it dude.
 dsh 02 Jul 2009
In reply to fijibaby:

I went to the roaches last week and got loads of bites but for some reason they waited until yesterday to flare up and now I have loads of huge itchy bumps all over.
fijibaby 02 Jul 2009
In reply to kitemadgoth: 79p is worth paying if it means a day out on grit!
Does it stop 'em landing on you?
 JDDD 02 Jul 2009
In reply to fijibaby: Got absolutely mauled on Sunday morning. Still loads of red blotches all over my arms and legs. Head for the limestone I reckon.
 Dave Garnett 02 Jul 2009
In reply to Ben Callard:
> (In reply to fijibaby)
>
> Was at Burbage North last night and it was fine, put a bit of DEET on and had a top time.

I find that once I've had DEET on my hands all hopes of getting up anything slabby vanish, no matter how much chalk I use!
fijibaby 02 Jul 2009
In reply to Dave Garnett: This is not looking good!
I'm just going to have to man it out. And find a trade supplier of anti-histamine.
 Dark Peak Paul 02 Jul 2009
In reply to fijibaby:

Went to Windgather at the weekend and got chewed. Bought some Jungle Formula 'for sensitive skin' (explains years of grit rash then) and went to the Roaches last night, didn't feel particularly slippery and didn't get eaten. There were clouds of midges though.
 toad 02 Jul 2009
In reply to Dark Peak Paul: Interesting, I was at Windgather on Sunday and found it much easier than the eastern grit for the winged demons. Mind, I thought I was going to find myself on the highest point with a variety of ironmongery strapped to me as the thunderstorm moved in, but it obligingly trundled down the other side of the valley
 Phil Tucker 03 Jul 2009
In reply to fijibaby: Was at the Roaches last night (Thursday) climbing on Lower and Upeer till gone 10, hardly any midges at all.

Phil
 petestack 03 Jul 2009
In reply to Ben Callard:
> Was at Burbage North last night and it was fine, put a bit of DEET on and had a top time.

Just remember that DEET dissolves soft climbing gear!

Gazleah 04 Jul 2009
In reply to fijibaby: i spent a day at stanage and have over 300 midgey bites on my legs and arms. definately learnt a lesson. use deet or be prepared to scratch off you skin!
 Misha 04 Jul 2009
In reply to fijibaby:
Go for the limestone, in Worcester you're not far from the Wye Valley, it's quality - Wintour's Leap, Shorn Cliff, Wynd Cliff, Ban-y-Gor, closest is Symond's Yat but less good. Or go up to Clwyd just outside Llangollen. Llanymynech Quarry might be worth checking out as well.
 Jon Stewart 05 Jul 2009
In reply to fijibaby: Got to add to general theme here - why would you want to climb grit when it's completely out of condition?

I quite like the way the sweat and midges happen at the same time of year - both make climbing grit intolerable, so you gotta look elsewhere. Moorland grit can be good in the hot summer (still a fair midge risk, check the wind direction) but lime's where it's at for me. Kind of crap compared to grit, but still beautiful places, with exciting, very strenuous, long, exposed and fun climbs. Would recommend going to Dove Dale instead of The Roaches, it's just round the corner, and it's in condition.

Adam Long 06 Jul 2009
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The grit was in great nick for doing trad routes yesterday, lovely temperatures. Britain's weather is too variable to say something as simplistic as 'grit is completely out of condition' in summer.
 Bulls Crack 06 Jul 2009
In reply to Adam L:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
>
> The grit was in great nick for doing trad routes yesterday, lovely temperatures. Britain's weather is too variable to say something as simplistic as 'grit is completely out of condition' in summer.

You're right there. Out of condition for medium/hard bouldering perhaps but not in any wider sense
 Offwidth 11 Jul 2009
In reply to Adam L:

Unless you are Fiend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...