UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Outdoor Research Zip Sacks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 04 Jul 2009
[Zip Sacks, 2 kb]Extremely light and useful zipped stuff sack from Outdoor Research.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=1896
m0unt41n 04 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: Terrific BUT if you follow the links to the Outdoor Research UK web site its American and if you check through their "UK Stockists" then Nevisport / Snow & Rock etc dont even show them on their list of Brands, Leisurequest is almost solely Jack Wolfskin.

OR have great gear, their storage stuff is excellent, bought quite a bit in the States, BUT no point in putting it here unless there is a genuine UK supplier.

10 out of 10 for the idea

1 out of 10 for reality.
 James B 04 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

What's the difference between News and an advert?
 James B 04 Jul 2009
In reply to ian2u:
There's plenty of OR stuff available here. I'm sure they wouldn't bother advertising otherwise.
m0unt41n 04 Jul 2009
In reply to James B: Here where? I was looking for some of their bags and can't find any UK web supplier.
 Michael Ryan 05 Jul 2009
In reply to James B:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> What's the difference between News and an advert?

Dead easy...

Gear News at UKClimbing.com present climbing and mountaineering equipment that will be of interest to UKClimbing.com's readers. They are not gear reviews. If you have experience of these products registered users at UKClimbing.com are welcome to add comments to the discussion thread.

Michael Ryan 05 Jul 2009
In reply to ian2u:
> (In reply to James B) Here where? I was looking for some of their bags and can't find any UK web supplier.

http://www.outdoorresearch.co.uk/uk_stockists.html

Michael Ryan 05 Jul 2009
In reply to ian2u:
>
> OR have great gear, their storage stuff is excellent, bought quite a bit in the States, BUT no point in putting it here unless there is a genuine UK supplier.

Mountain Boot are the UK distributor of OR ... I think they maybe genuine. Give them a call.

http://www.mountainboot.co.uk/
 James B 05 Jul 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Many thanks for the reply Mick, but I was actually asking about how your Product News is actually any different from an advertisement. Don't get me wrong, I understand that UKC is a commercial operation (and as such I wish you all the best with it), I just wanted some clarity about what we are talking about here. Does UKC receive payment for publishing Product News on the site?

Thanks

Michael Ryan 05 Jul 2009
In reply to James B:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Many thanks for the reply Mick, but I was actually asking about how your Product News is actually any different from an advertisement. Don't get me wrong, I understand that UKC is a commercial operation (and as such I wish you all the best with it), I just wanted some clarity about what we are talking about here. Does UKC receive payment for publishing Product News on the site?
>
> Thanks

Companies buy an advertising package for a fixed term, usually 6 to 12 months.

This includes banners, premier posts, premier classifieds, newsletter adverts, unlimited product news, and for us to host and run competitions. We also of course review gear. This also includes mentioning them on news reports if their sponsored climber is featured. It also includes featured videos.

These days, internet advertising goes well beyond banners. It has to, and we provide more than just space, but a full package of options that enable a company to educate readers about their products, what they are fit for and where to buy them.

Importantly, you can comment back, as most things are linked to a forum thread - this keeps things honest. Especially useful is the poster has experienced the product but also useful in asking questions about a product.

In addition, everything is quantifiable through an advertising admin page unique to each company where they can see in real time how many times their stuff has been viewed.

Yes, UKC is a commercial operation just like any media be that print or web or both. We pride ourselves on giving great value for money to our clients - no smoke or mirrors - and hence why we are growing in quality of content and readership.

Revenue from advertising is invested in this website.

Product News or Gear News are clearly labelled and our posted by outdoor companies - usually new or exisiting products.

Gear News at UKClimbing.com present climbing and mountaineering equipment that will be of interest to UKClimbing.com's readers. They are not gear reviews. If you have experience of these products registered users at UKClimbing.com are welcome to add comments to the discussion thread.

Hope that clears it up.

Cheers,

Mick

James B 05 Jul 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Many thanks Mick.

For what it's worth, my experience of OR gear (winter gloves and gaiters) has all been good.
 gabriel_m 05 Jul 2009
In reply to ian2u:
I've got a couple of these and I can say without doubt that they are the most over engineered stuff sacks in the world. However are really very nice. You're right about their existence in the UK though, they currently aren't being imported. They would end up being a tenner each at least, which when compared to the humble net laundry bag doesn't seem a particularly profitable venture.
 Michael Ryan 05 Jul 2009
In reply to gabriel_m:
> (In reply to ian2u)
>
You're right about their existence in the UK though, they currently aren't being imported.

Have you checked with Mountain Boot Co.?

I will Monday.

m0unt41n 05 Jul 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Mick - my point was that OR list of UK Stockists is pointless, I checked the larger ones and none show OR. Mountainboot is not shown either.

I have some of OR stuff and it is very good - got it in the States.

My objection is that their web site Outdoorresearch. CO. UK implies it is easily available in UK, and UKClimbing posting this link implies it as well, when in fact it is likely you have to order most things from the States.

I suspect Western Mountaineering is easier to get in UK than OR.

I was frustrated at the apparent "Con" same as Google.co.uk shows up stuff on REI which is not available in UK in £ as if you can buy it here, only when you dig deep into shipping etc to find the shipping costs of $60 etc.

On same subject E-OMC is the only USA source that I have found that ships via USPS so cost is $30 not $60 - $100 for courier. Still have Customs and VAT.

Michael Ryan 05 Jul 2009
In reply to ian2u:

The Mountain Boot Co. based in Newcastle are the UK distributors of Outdoor Research in the UK.

In the morning I'll get a product list of OR products available in the UK for you.

Here's a few direct links from their links page...

http://www.wildtrak.com/productlist.asp?ManufacturerID=127&Pagename=Out...

http://www.lakesclimber.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=110&p=shop

http://www.outside.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdSrch.cgi

http://www.v12outdoor.com/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=61&osCsid=...
m0unt41n 05 Jul 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Mick
Many thanks for those.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...