UKC

NEWS: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 09 Jul 2009
[Rainbow at Kilnsey, 2 kb]The BMC has received reports of bad parking at Kilnsey crag, Yorkshire, with climbers parking their cars on the verge directly below the crag.

"This creates traffic problems for local residents and visitors passing through. The issue has been previously flagged-up by the YDNPA (Yorkshire Dales National...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=48286
 Bulls Crack 09 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC News:

It's a long way to that lay-by 2 minutes up the road....ffs
In reply to UKC News:

There are signs as you leave Kilnsey village (towards the crag) warning against parking on the roadside and the police have moved people on too. The crag is hugely popular at the moment and people need to make an effort to get there cars off the road even if it does mean increasing the approach by ten minutes!

I suspect the police will start giving out tickets if it continues rather than just telling people to move.

Kevin
 sutty 09 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Not many years ago there were double yellow lines there, if people insist on parking there it will not be long before they are replaced.
Serpico 09 Jul 2009
In reply to sutty:
The situation with lines is a strange one: 2 yrs or so ago they painted a continuous yellow line all the way down the road beneath the crag (I know - I was there when they did it), then a few weeks later they came back and removed it from the area where cars are currently parking causing the problem. The rumour is that this was done after negotiations with the Yorkshire Area Committee.
All of which is irrelevant if there's a problem; just mentioning it for historical interest.
 Bulls Crack 09 Jul 2009
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Not many years ago there were double yellow lines there, if people insist on parking there it will not be long before they are replaced.

The people or the lines?
 richardh 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Serpico:

I think Martin X was involved in the Kilnsey path and parking things at the time and got them to remove some of the lines.
 richardh 09 Jul 2009
In reply to richardh:

.. and in response to Simon "there is no bend" Lee!

Looked at it both ways last night, as you pass the Tennants, you can't see the queue of parked cars round the bend, on the admitted straight ( Yes, Simon), and you're accelerating because there's an open stretch coming. All of a sudden, if people are parked too far back, you could be into the back of a queue of parked cars if something was / often is coming the other way.

Whether this is a bigger issue than the guy who stopped on Sunday in the middle of the road under the North Butress, ambled to his boot to get his camera out, took a couple of pictures, and then eventually bimbled off, I don't know.
 Michael Ryan 09 Jul 2009

"I get the feeling this one might get out of hand unless people do the right thing." commented Guy Keating, speaking to UKClimbing.com.

That means those who climb at Kilnsey police the situation themselves. Especially the regulars.

Own the situation.

You see cars inappropriately parked, if you value climbing at Kilnsey, you go along the bottom of the crag and ask climbers if that is there car, and if so they'd better move it.

It's that simple.
 UKB Shark 09 Jul 2009
In reply to richardh:

Eh ? I'm definitely straight, though I'm not sure about you. Anyway we didnt park there and for the sake of the quiet life won't be tempted now though it seems a bit of fuss about nowt.

As you say people slowing or stopping to look at the climbers seems to cause the most tooting.
 Andy Farnell 12 Jul 2009
In reply to Simon Lee: Even though the crag was very busy yesterday, the parking was 'considerate'.

Andy F
 Jonathan T 13 Jul 2009
In reply to andy farnell: I'm driving past most weekdays at the moment and I'm not sure anyone who climbs there reads this forum!
 Michael Ryan 13 Jul 2009
In reply to Jonathan T:
> (In reply to andy farnell) I'm driving past most weekdays at the moment and I'm not sure anyone who climbs there reads this forum!

Website!

Chances are they all do. Not that the hardcore would publicly admit it.
 Andy Farnell 14 Jul 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to Jonathan T)
> [...]
>
> Website!
>
> Chances are they all do. Not that the hardcore would publicly admit it.

Except Serps and I. And I'm not 'hardcore', but Serps probably is

Andy F

Serpico 14 Jul 2009
In reply to andy farnell:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> [...]
>
> And I'm not 'hardcore', but Serps probably is
>

For the last time Andy, it wasn't me in that video, it just looked like me.

Tyler 14 Jul 2009
In reply to Serpico:

So your new nick name of Tripod is undeserved?
 Andy Farnell 14 Jul 2009
In reply to Serpico:
> (In reply to andy farnell)
> [...]
>
> For the last time Andy, it wasn't me in that video, it just looked like me.

I've seen pics of you with a droopy moustache

Andy F
Guy Keating, BMC 14 Jul 2009
Is anyone going to Kilnsey over the next week or so?
Would you mind putting up a couple of temp. notices below the crag?
(It would really help the situation)

If you can help out, email me your postal address - guy@thebmc.co.uk

Cheers
Guy
 richardh 17 Jul 2009
In reply to Guy Keating, BMC:

after following a link of sutty's

this should sort things out:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/616355
Serpico 17 Jul 2009
In reply to richardh:
> (In reply to Guy Keating, BMC)
>
> after following a link of sutty's
>
> this should sort things out:
>
> http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/616355

It's amazing how quick that happens, I was there with friends a few years ago when it flooded whilst we were bouldering. We had to wade out through fast flowing water that even though we were using the stepping stones came up to the thighs. Every time you lifted a foot to take a step the current made you pirouette.
On a related note people keep adding stones to the crossing point making it more like a dam and more likely to flood.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...