UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Castlebergh Crag, Settle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 09 Jul 2009
[Castleberg Crag, Settle, 2 kb]

Castlebergh has been the backdrop to a landscaped, hillside walk for well over 100 years and one of the large lower terraces once hosted swing-boats and other recreational park apparatus. There was, however, no recorded climbing history here prior to 2009.

Dave Musgrove tells how Castlebergh Crag was transformed from a liability into a "sport for all" venue for the masses...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1965

Tyler 09 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:

Is this using the same star system as everywhere else?
 Alex Thompson 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Tyler: Oooh you cynic...
 AJM 09 Jul 2009

Just you wait til Bruce Hooker hears about this - we'll be hearing about how this will inevitably lead to grid bolting on every crag forevermore!

AJM
 Simon Caldwell 09 Jul 2009
In reply to AJM:
> we'll be hearing about how this will inevitably lead to grid bolting on every crag forevermore!

you think this won't set a precedent?
 Andy Farnell 09 Jul 2009
In reply to AJM:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
>
> Just you wait til Bruce Hooker hears about this - we'll be hearing about how this will inevitably lead to grid bolting on every crag forevermore!
>
> AJM

First Castlebergh, next is Cloggy

Andy F
 TobyA 09 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Do you think the Lib Dems claimed back the sponsorship cost of LibDem Groove on expenses?! The Telegraph will investigate I'm sure!
 Andy Say 10 Jul 2009
In reply to andy farnell:
> (In reply to AJM)
> [...]
>
> First Castlebergh, next is Cloggy
>
> Andy F

Now don't be daft! But it is a bit of a strange precedent. And I can't help wondering if those 4's might have made decent trad. routes?

Andy Hardy 10 Jul 2009
In reply to Andy Say:

Wasn't there a route put up by a "sponsored hero" in the 80's called "Asolo"?
If I remember right the local wags used to add an extra "r" to the name.
 Andy Say 10 Jul 2009
In reply to 999thAndy:
Dove Crag. Was it Whillance?
harryakadave 11 Jul 2009
In reply to Andy Say: Climb them and then comment.
 Bob Kemp 11 Jul 2009
In reply to Andy Say:
Bill Birkett if I remember correctly.
harryakadave 12 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Beware of loose rock, CRO were called out this afternoon after a leader dislodged a rock near the top of the main wall, it fell onto a friend below who was taken to hospital by ambulance, I don't think she was seriously injured but it was a near miss.
 Andy Say 13 Jul 2009
In reply to harryakadave:
> (In reply to Andy Say) Climb them and then comment.

It wasn't a comment. It was a question.
Yorkspud 13 Jul 2009
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
>
> Is this using the same star system as everywhere else?

Yes, with the proviso: x= (x-2) where x is the normal (non-grit) star system.

I think the sponsors left of the flagpole were done. Better furhter right..but not too far right. I presume the Settel Injuries clinic is a private pratice looking for business?
 54ms 16 Jul 2009

I went down today, thought it was a nice venue, Settle Injury Clinic is a great name for a route and stiff for 5+! I was half expecting to find the sponsors names under the routes, continental style! Any one else find of the rails quite hard? I got totally shut down after the first bolt.

There is still a fair bit of loose rock, I dislodged some nice sized bits, but I'm sure as it gets more traffic these will decrease. Lots of people there and for several their first time sport climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...