UKC

Giggleswick South & Midges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Hudson 18 Jul 2009
What is Giggleswick South like for Midges, thinking of heading up tomorrow if it stays dry
 PontiusPirate 18 Jul 2009
In reply to Andy Hudson:

Andy - can be terrible - but if tomorrow keeps this strong westerly (as forecast) - there should be no issues - was there today - not much seepage too.

PP.
 Bulls Crack 18 Jul 2009
In reply to Andy Hudson:

What is this paranoia about midges outside Scotland all of a sudden? Welcome them at Gigg south - they'll take your mind off how cr*p a cliff it really is!
 petestack 18 Jul 2009
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> What is this paranoia about midges outside Scotland all of a sudden?

Maybe they've started migrating (still too many here, BTW!) because there's more easy meat down south?
 Si dH 18 Jul 2009
In reply to Bulls Crack:
In my experiecne the peak can be just as bad for midges as scotland, at least up on the grit crags around the moors. Its just far more localised, ie if you dont go climbing or walking then you will never see them, whereas in the highlands getting away is perhaps more difficult.
This year is bad, similar to 05 and 06. The last two years (07 and 08) have seen much fewer midges in the peak (and I assume in Scotland - in 2 weeks in the higlands last July I saw hardly any), which I guess is because this spring/summer start has been hotter?
 PontiusPirate 19 Jul 2009
In reply to Bulls Crack:

'cos it can be as bad during the day as Ilkley Rocky Valley on a sticky July evening!

PP.
 Bulls Crack 19 Jul 2009
In reply to PontiusPirate:

Bad possibly but nothing, repeat nothing, like Scotland at it's worst!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...