UKC

Lofoten tips (water, fishing, bugs and forests)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dr Caterpillar 20 Jul 2009
A few questions:

Are there any trees on lofoten (thinking of taking a small wood-burning stove)?

Any tips on fishing without a rod? I haven't done much fishing so any tips on bate, where to fish, what fish there are, what to fish with would be great.

Are there many mozzies/flys/midges etc in the summer?

Do you treat the water in lofoten? I generally do treat water but as it seems such an unspoilt place is it necessary, cheers
In reply to Dr Caterpillar:
> A few questions:
>
> Are there any trees on lofoten (thinking of taking a small wood-burning stove)?
>

Yes, there are trees, there's also loads of old wood lying about from old buildings, old fish drying racks etc.

> Any tips on fishing without a rod? I haven't done much fishing so any tips on bate, where to fish, what fish there are, what to fish with would be great.
>

Didn't do any fishing, but we did notice that there was loads of big fish right near the causeway at Djupfjord. Also, other folk were catching plenty of fish at the beach and under the bridges.

> Are there many mozzies/flys/midges etc in the summer?
>

There weren't any in May. Not sure what summer's like but it's pretty windy there, so we weren't bothered by them.

> Do you treat the water in lofoten? I generally do treat water but as it seems such an unspoilt place is it necessary, cheers

We didn't actually drink any water from wild sources. There's a tap in the main waterpipe into Henningsvaer at Gandalf, which clearly doesn't need treated.

In reply to Dr Caterpillar:
> A few questions:
>
> Are there any trees on lofoten (thinking of taking a small wood-burning stove)?

Yes.
>
> Any tips on fishing without a rod? I haven't done much fishing so any tips on bate, where to fish, what fish there are, what to fish with would be great.

You can buy reels with line and several hooks with rubber bait attached for under 50kr. Fish from bridges. Small pollock in shallow water, cod in deep water. I caught four cod from the first bridge over to henningsvær on two seperate fishing stints....
>
> Are there many mozzies/flys/midges etc in the summer?

Horse flies are a bigger problem...
>
> Do you treat the water in lofoten? I generally do treat water but as it seems such an unspoilt place is it necessary, cheers

If you are worried treat the water. We didn't and i'm still alive and well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...