UKC

Tendon Ropes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sam L 21 Jul 2009
Has anyone used tendon ropes, specifically the 7.8mm Master half/twin? They are outrageously light for a half rope, but I am worried that they will not be very durable or have good water resistance, as I've not had any experience of their ropes before.
Any comments or experiences welcome.
Cheers,
Sam
 JTatts 21 Jul 2009
In reply to Sam L:

I've got them and used them for about 2yrs now. First thing to say is that if you go for the double treatment it is in my opinion the best dry treatment of any rope that I have currently used and that includes ice lines. Even though the ropes have been used pretty extensively now, any water still just beads off amazingly.

On the durability front though I'm less impressed. I now make a very concious effort to be kind to the ropes as they are pretty tender and really don't stand up to abuse well (one is now 3m shorter thanks to bad crampon work). Compared to ice lines, they are noticably softer and clearly don't last as well. If you're thinking of general rock cragging in the uk with these ropes I can only say look elsewhere.

When I need to replace them I think I will probably go for ice lines simply because I think they'll last that bit longer. Having said that, if I was only going to be climbing waterfall ice then in my opinion these are the ropes to choose. Also I got a deal that made the tendons much cheaper originally so I really don't regret going for them and on long walk-ins they are absolutely bliss!

One last thing to note is that I took a 15m fall on one and the soft landing due to the extra stretchiness made things reasonably pleasant!
Sam L 21 Jul 2009
In reply to JTatts: Thanks for your feedback, that's useful to know. I want a pair of ropes to replace my current mammut genesis ropes, which still have a fair bit of life in them but are no longer even slightly dry treated. I'd basically use the genesises for cragging and rock climbing, and use the new ropes for ice/winter climbing, and alpine climbing where the saving in weight will be much appreciated.

Sam
Sam L 22 Jul 2009
In reply to Sam L: Has anybody else got any experiences?
 petestack 22 Jul 2009
In reply to Sam L:

No experience of the Tendon 7.8mm, but did buy myself a pair of superdry Mammut Phoenix 8.0mm after long deliberation about whether to go for 8.5 or 8.0. Using for winter climbing, multi-pitch rock and cragging, think they're standing up well and believe (from what I've read) that they may be the most durable of the superlight halves for this sort of thing.
 Mountain Llama 23 Jul 2009
In reply to Sam L:

Hi Sam

One option may be to re-proof your ropes with Nikwax ropeproof - link here http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Ropes_23.html

If your search the threads there is a recent discussion on reproofing ropes & its v cost effective, ie £10.

Also have Mammut 8mm Phoenix super dry for winter stuff which is 18mths old & the dry treatment has reduced some what.

Hope this helps?

Cheers Dave
 Morgan Woods 23 Jul 2009
In reply to Mountain Llama:

another vote from me for the phoenix.
Sam L 23 Jul 2009
In reply to Mountain Llama: Cheers, I did think about that, but the weight difference is also a quite attractive proposition. The Phoenix look really nice.
Sam
K. William 23 Jul 2009
another vote from me for the tendon master, good quality for a good price
 Snap 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Sam L: I have a few Tendon Ropes. The half ropes are 8.5mm Ambitions and they are pretty good. No problems with them at all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...