UKC

Good alpine soft shell deals at the moment?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sheffield Sam 21 Jul 2009
Hey all

Was wondering if anybody could help, im after a soft shell to take to the Alps, size small and not black, has anybody seen any good deals on the net recently?

Ive had a look but not managed to find myself one yet but brought plenty of other things instead, whoops! The main problem tends to be, the good deals are always in the wrong sizes!

Any help would be welcome

Sam
 nimrod ping 21 Jul 2009
In reply to Sheffield Sam:
> Hey all
>
> Was wondering if anybody could help, im after a soft shell to take to the Alps, size small and not black, has anybody seen any good deals on the net recently?
>
> Ive had a look but not managed to find myself one yet but brought plenty of other things instead, whoops! The main problem tends to be, the good deals are always in the wrong sizes!
>
> Any help would be welcome
>
> Sam

Try Mountain Factor in Ambleside, also on the web as well. They do loads of Patagonia Paramo clearence etc usually in all sizes
Ping...
 Mr Lopez 21 Jul 2009
In reply to Sheffield Sam: Hey, how you doing man?
Get a Photon Hoody. Got one and i'm hugely impressed. Lighter, warmer, more comfortable and more compressible than a soft shell.
£60 here http://www.climbers-shop.com/256858/products/Rab_Photon_Hoody.aspx
All i wore in Alaska was one of these on top of a base layer. Only had to put on the down jacket once!
 SFM 22 Jul 2009

You looked at Field and Trek? They seem to have a sale on just now
OP Sheffield Sam 22 Jul 2009
Hey Oscar!

Yeh im doing good man, off to the alps in a couple of weeks, I picked up one of those photons, thought they were quite a good deal, was worried itwouldn't be robust enough to wear without something on top?

Thanks for all the help and links guys!

Sam
 Mr Lopez 22 Jul 2009
> was worried itwouldn't be robust enough to wear without something on top?

The outer fabric is very slippery, so not much problem with snagging or abrasion.
No need to put something on top other than a hard shell when is very windy and/or wet, though you could do with a light down/belay jacket if you are planning to be stationary for long periods of time.
With a hard shell on it also works better than a soft shell, as the double membrane effect you'd get with both shells on would make you feel you are inside a plastic bag.
May see you down in the Alps, think i'll be heading myself in the next few weeks.
OP Sheffield Sam 22 Jul 2009
Drop me an e-mail if you want a ride down, currently driving down alone!

Cheers for the advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...