UKC

Different sized feet -- shoe recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lewiz 26 Jul 2009
Good afternoon

I'm looking to upgrade from my La Sportiva Cliff to something more technical. As the Cliffs are still in good condition I had to continue wearing them and use the new shoe alongside. I tried out a velcro Anasazi in UK 10 but quickly found that I was unable to wear it due to my right foot being quite a bit bigger than my left -- maybe as much as one size!

Does anybody else suffer from the same problem? If so, what do you do? Is there any more suitable (but still technical) shoe I can wear?

thanks, Lewis
 Reach>Talent 26 Jul 2009
In reply to lewiz:
I've got over 1 size difference between my feet and manage ok. My smaller foot is never quite as tightly fitted into a shoe as the other but it isn't too much of a problem. Stiffer shoes may help but you can make a big difference by working on strengthening the toes of your smaller foot: The smaller foot won't be as bunched in the toe of the shoe so you have to support your weight on flat toes, practice standing on small edges barefoot so you get used to not bunching them.
 Yanis Nayu 26 Jul 2009
In reply to lewiz: Buy two pairs and sell the odd pair you don't want. That's what I did.

OP lewiz 30 Jul 2009
In reply to lewiz: thanks guys... I'm going to head out this evening and try some more. Don't think I can justify two pairs so I'll fit for the larger foot and cope with a floppy left shoe if needs be
 Jenny C 30 Jul 2009
FWIW almost everyone has at least some variation in sizing between their feet.

I have a half inch difference in length (about a UK half size) and short stubby toes, so can't shorten my foot very much by bending them. Personally I fit my larger foot as tight as I can tolerate, which makes the smaller foot just about perfect.

Another option would be to wear a thin sock on your smaller foot to bulk it out abit.

I would also suggest looking at lace-ups (ideally ones which lace right down to the toe) as they will offer more flexibility in width than a velcro. So by tightening/loosening the laces you should be able to compensate to some extent for the size difference.
 cmb621 30 Jul 2009
In reply to lewiz: I have a half a size smaller foot and wear la sportiva muiras, I got the laces so I can do them up tighter when they stretch. So I thought it was better to get the smaller foot right and then have the larger foot too tight. Also you can stretch out the larger foot shoe with a shoe horn or stuffing them with a laod of newspaper and putting it somewhere warm to loosen the rubber. Go for muiras if they fit right - they are a goofd technical show which are not too aggressive.
 Edd_Harris 31 Jul 2009
In reply to cmb621: I have two sizes difference between my feet but have always worn the same size shoes, I fit them tight to the big foot which does leace the other a little floppy so not so great on the tip of the toe, but fine for edging. Laces all the way down help a lot and I always wear socks even when I fit them without socks, helps to make the tight shoe a touch more comfy and packs out the gaps in the other one.

Other than that you just get used to climbing slightly differently with each foot. The loose shoe is much less painfull to foot jam with for instance!
 David Coley 31 Jul 2009
In reply to lewiz:
Some USA-based manufacturers will sell you different sized pairs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...