UKC

Top Roping at the Westway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Trilby 31 Jul 2009
What's happened to the top roping at Westway? There's nothing set above a 6b+.

It's been a while since I've done anything but bouldering or leading there but we didn't have a rope and bouldering was busy so gave TR a go but found there's nothing challenging set. Do they assume people will lead once they reach a certain standard? If so, that's a bit short-sighted - I work nearby and don't always fancy bringing a rope on the train to work.
In reply to Trilby:

not usually anything above 6b+ on TR at Stockport either. Your guess why is probably close to the reason
 ClimberEd 31 Jul 2009
In reply to Trilby:

There's higher grade top-rope climbs on the slab by the door.
 ck85 31 Jul 2009
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):
But you can hire ropes at the Stockport wall so the OP wouldn't have a problem with not wanting to carry a rope.
 Jamie B 31 Jul 2009
In reply to ck85:

> But you can hire ropes at the Stockport wall so the OP wouldn't have a problem with not wanting to carry a rope.

Not many walls do this however; difficult to monitor it's usage.

gcandlin 31 Jul 2009
In reply to Trilby: Get yourself down the Castle, they have TR routes up to about 7a or 7B i think (not that I have ever climed them!!)
Trilby 31 Jul 2009
In reply to ClimberEd:
There was one 6c on that slab and that was the only TR route in the whole centre I found above 6b+.

I guess maybe I'll buy a rope and leave it in the office.
Trilby 31 Jul 2009
In reply to gcandlin:
Never been to the castle but would love to. The reason I go to the Westway is that it's a stones throw from work (I'm right near Paddington Station, which is a 10 minute tube ride from Latimer Road) so wouldn't want to head over that way frequently.
 Alex1 31 Jul 2009
In reply to Trilby:

Circuits room - set up to F7a+

Bouldering room - set up to F8a

No need to clog lines with top ropes.
Trilby 04 Aug 2009
In reply to necromancer85:

That's not quite the same though.

I guess the only reason I'm complaining is that I know they've had at the least a bunch of 6c's set in the past and I thought they had some 7a's not too long ago as well. I probably wouldn't have missed them if I'd never know they were there...
Blackfish 04 Aug 2009
It's because the majority of people that top rope exclusively don't climb anything harder than 6b ish. It's just catering to the customers.

Each to their own and all, but those who want to climb 7a on top rope are a very small minority. If they set top rope routes that hard, no one would climb them.

As mentioned the circuit in the boulder room is well set, hard and no ropes or partner needed. And they re-set often, like now.
Trilby 05 Aug 2009
In reply to centerelmurray:

Yeah, I noticed they'd reset it when I was there yesterday. Looked good.

smallbev 09 Aug 2009
In reply to Trilby: Try the 2 7a top ropes on line 76/77. I think you might find them hard enough for you!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...