UKC

midges in the peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Harle 02 Aug 2009
hey
can anyone update me on the number of midges about in the peak district at the moment. I particular at frogatt and millstone.
cheers guys
 jon 02 Aug 2009
In reply to stonemonkey159:

You mean exactly...?
OP Matt Harle 02 Aug 2009
In reply to stonemonkey159: *In* particular. typo
 halo 02 Aug 2009
In reply to stonemonkey159: Your having a laugh.
 nikinko 02 Aug 2009

was at Froggat the other week. Think there were approximately 3,572,016. My mate swatted about 10, so that would leave 3,572,006.

seriously, haven't been for a few weeks (end of July I was there last) and found them intolerable (made me say very rude words when I kept inhaling them). It was a hot clamy windless weekend though.

N
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Aug 2009

No probs on Stanage today and it can be pretty grim up there. Enough of a breeze to keep them away.

Chris
 Ropeboy 02 Aug 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I popped out this evening and there were a lot but talking to others who were out during the day it was okay.

J
 AlistairB 03 Aug 2009
In reply to stonemonkey159: Frogatt was lovley and breezy and totally midge-free today. That said, I was at Millstone around 6 weeks ago and got completley destroyed one still day. Pray for a stiff breeze!
 James_D 03 Aug 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs:

the midges appeared around 7pm on sunday at stanage, as the wind dropped. They didn't seem to be biting tho.
 Bulls Crack 03 Aug 2009

Try www.scarymidgewarnings4sassenachs.com
 Owen W-G 03 Aug 2009
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Do you get them on limestone crags or just on grit?

Thinking about Tissington Spires/High Tor this w/e.
 Si dH 03 Aug 2009
The last 3 weekends (yesterday, previous saturday and the prevous sunday) have been fine at Bamford and Froggatt, virtually none. The week before that was a bit of a nightmare.
 Si dH 03 Aug 2009
In reply to Owen W-G:
You get them on some limestone but youll be fine at either of those venues I should think. May be a few at Dovedale.

They breed in water, so theres a lot on grit because they can breed and live in the peat on the moors. You only get them on limestone if youre next t oa river or stream or someting (or on the moors but not many limestone crags are).
 Mutl3y 03 Aug 2009
In reply to stonemonkey159: burbage yesterday there were NO midges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...