UKC

Dave Graham short film: Small Amazing Things

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 11 Feb 2003
by Wills Young @

http://www.climbxmedia.com/

featuring circular grading, indoor training antics, cooking and the first ascent of some Font 8a+ near the Secrets of The Beehive area in the Buttermilk

click on Feb 6th

flash 6 format (19MB)

QT format (45MB)

Mick
jon 11 Feb 2003
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA:

The fingerboard section has to be the most tedious bit of climbing video I've ever seen.
BenThorne 11 Feb 2003
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA)
>
> The fingerboard section has to be the most tedious bit of climbing video I've ever seen.

Too right. Only in America eh?
The rest of it's alright. Another one to add to the CXM movie folder for rainy days.

OP Michael Ryan 11 Feb 2003
In reply to BenThorne:
> (In reply to jon)
> [...]
>
> Too right. Only in America eh?

Splinter?

Wills in English...well he;'s both..

M

jon 11 Feb 2003

> Splinter?

Good point - that was so tedious I didn't manage to watch all of it. Actually many of American bouldering clips in the competition area of CXM are pretty terrible as well - shaky footage of bouldering dudes climbing to shit thrash metal or rap sound tracks ... ugh.
In reply to jon:

Sorry Jon....I actually like Splinter.........from a historical grainy black and white perspective. I like the insight it gives into a top climbers mind....well his activity.....same with Amazing Small Things...

M
 tobyfk 11 Feb 2003

Seconded. Splinter is a gem.
In reply to tobyfk:

....and my other favourite is Psicobloc...Loskot and Emmet deep water soloing in Mallorca.......both give me lots of entertainment and inspiration....(when I get lazy).....

Mick
 Jon Greengrass 11 Feb 2003
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: my sounds broken... bugger
 london_huddy 11 Feb 2003
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: piscobloc's certainly one of the best climbing film's i've seen, ever really.

Small amazing things made me go down the wall on my rest day yesterday! as you said, it's interesting to see a bit more of the top climbers than just their climbing. the rumney vid's pretty good too.
jon 11 Feb 2003

Psicobloc is excellent (although I'm not too sure about the Spanish rap!). The dyno looks amazing, and the slow motion footage of Klem's fingers uncurling from the hold with the sea forty feet below is the most memorable climbing footage I've seen.
In reply to Jon Greengrass:
> (In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA) my sounds broken... bugger

I'll let climbx know. My was OK but apparantly the sound was slightly out of synch on the outdoor climbing bit.

M

In reply to jon:
>
> although I'm not too sure about the Spanish rap!

I couldn't work out if the shouting was part of the music or from people on the top of the cliff shouting encouragement..

M
NeilK 11 Feb 2003

I thought it was a really nice little vid. One thing that struck me were the subtle "Real Thing" references around the middle (on the way to the Buttermilks). It just shows how much of a "fan" one of the world's most accomplished climbers is!
In reply to NeilK:
>
> I thought it was a really nice little vid. One thing that struck me were the subtle "Real Thing" references

If you've seen West Coast Pimp as well that is filled with "Real Thing " references as well. It had quite an impact I think.

M
 Jon Greengrass 11 Feb 2003
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: We want more footage of topless climbers hammering white hot iron..
NeilK 11 Feb 2003

No I haven't seen it, but you're right when you say that TRT had "quite an impact". That's not to say that the protagonists are hero-worshipped; quite the opposite in fact! Watch out for the "he's full of shit..." quote in Small Amazing Things...
In reply to Jon Greengrass:
> (In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA) We want more footage of topless climbers hammering white hot iron..

You go and take a cold shower Jon Greengrass.

M

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...