UKC

Midges. How have they been for you this Summer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 05 Aug 2009
I've spent over three weeks outdoors in the Highlands and the Hebrides this Summer and with the exception of one place I've hardly had a bite.

I'm thinking it's probably down to the weather, both last winter's cold snap at New Year which probably killed off a lot of insect eggs and the generally windy weather we've had this Summer.

Anyone else noticed a difference this year?
 Chris F 05 Aug 2009
In reply to Removed User: Not been out west much this year, been unpleasant once or twice, but not unbearable. I think that developing a bit savvy with knowing where they will be, when they will be out and how to avoid them helps.
 brieflyback 05 Aug 2009
In reply to Chris F:

Alright. Only got desiccated a couple of times. But then I haven't exactly been rushing to the crags on windless days.

I reckon the wet and warmth means it could be a prime season for cleggs, though.

Who won that anti-midge hat in the pome competition? Can't remember the article.
Removed User 05 Aug 2009
In reply to Martin76:
> (In reply to Chris F)
>
>
> I reckon the wet and warmth means it could be a prime season for cleggs, though.
>

Have you noticed rather attractive green deer flies that are sucking the Highlands and islands dry this Summer? Never seen them before and the locals in Kinlochbervie told me that they've only turned up in the last couple of years.
 brieflyback 05 Aug 2009
In reply to Removed User:

Never had the pleasure. Spent a walk the other weekend swatting off standard horse flies. That was enough for me.
 Alyson 05 Aug 2009
In reply to Martin76:
>
> Who won that anti-midge hat in the pome competition? Can't remember the article.

I was wondering the same thing - it's not been mentioned since. I recall your poem being particularly good.
Slugain Howff 05 Aug 2009

I've had a few experiences this summer when they were off the midge richter scale.

Sunart July 11/10
Devils Staircase Calley Challenge June 11/10
Braveheart carpark Nevis Early June 8/10

However Dundonnel Early august after some rain 0/10 what's that all about

s
 JohnnyW 05 Aug 2009
Yeah, midges 7/10 on my normal experience, though when it's been still, my garden has been a no-go area, even for my hardy kids.

I agree, the clegs have been bad though. Same abroad btw - got bit good and proper in Austria by Der Cleggen (!), and still have the weals to prove it 10 days later.
johnSD 05 Aug 2009

Much fewer midges and lots more clegs seems to be the pattern on Arran and in Galloway as well.
 brieflyback 05 Aug 2009
In reply to Alyson:

You're too kind. I thought yours was good.

The silence from the judging panel may suggest an alternative view...
 alan wilson 05 Aug 2009
In reply to Removed User: Polldubh in late June....nightmare
Front yard in Callander last week, nightmare
Folding a paraglider on the runrigs at the head of Loch Earn in late May, nightmare
Agreed though, the clegs this year do seem a bit excessive too, you can feel them chewing on you.
 skog 06 Aug 2009
Not a bad year at all. It has been windy quite a lot, and it was a pretty cold and dry Spring, I think.
 JimSh 06 Aug 2009
In reply to Removed User: Clegs have been more of a problem than midges for me this summer - found them or rather they found me up in the coires in Skye.
I reacted badly to the bites this year too. Previously the bites only bothered me at the time.
Mjenn2 06 Aug 2009
In reply to Removed User: We've not had any bad days so far this year (touch wood) in Invergarry. Definitely less than Last year. Saying that, I did get swarmed up at Abriachan bike trails when my chain broke. they know when you're vulnerable.
 Angie Lester 06 Aug 2009

what has surprised me is how they're moving south... either that or ive just never paid too much attention to them?

But we get them in our back garden :, dont get me wrong, its nothing compared to what ive experianced on Skye, but still, not fun
 Mike-W-99 06 Aug 2009

We got forced indoors by the midges on monday. I wouldnt have been bothered but this was in Edinburgh.

Far worse though was the plague of mosquitos at derry lodge at the end of may.
Geoffrey Michaels 06 Aug 2009

I think they have been not too bad. The hot spots of Loch Eil weren't too bad but Torridon at the weekend wasn't good although I have seen a lot worse.
 AG 06 Aug 2009
In reply to Angie Lester: Not moving south it would appear..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7518005.stm

I lived in edinburgh for 14 years and have never had a midge bite here....or even seen that many.
I think the highland midge is a different species...much more nasty!
 Only a hill 06 Aug 2009
In Glencoe this year the midges were pretty bad in May and early June. After that they tailed right off, and currently midges seem to be almost non-existent. However, clegs are still proving to be a problem in certain areas.
 MaxR 06 Aug 2009
I still had to slap on plenty of Skin so Soft when i was up in Glencoe and SKye this July
 AG 06 Aug 2009
In reply to lgyamjr: this is helpfull

http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/2008/

(says 2008 but it's updated daily)
 Pauline 06 Aug 2009
In reply to Removed User: last night at widdop was a midge fest in the boulders
BrettS 06 Aug 2009
In reply to Removed User: One of the camps I was staying at (I forgot the name) for Duke of Edinburgh was swarming with the buggers. Worst part was a lot got into my tent
 Angie Lester 06 Aug 2009
In reply to AG:

we definatley ahve them at the roaches and in my back garden 35 miles away! Unless, like you said, its another species altogether?!

Why? Why!!! theres NO purpose to them!
 Alyson 07 Aug 2009
In reply to Removed User: Bitten to death in the peak last night. It's a wonder I'm not requiring a blood transfusion today quite frankly - my right arm in particular looks like something out of The World's Wildest Medical Nightmares 4.
 Chris Sansum 07 Aug 2009

Not Midges, but was bitten by mosquitos repeatedly at Shorncliffe last weekend. Will be wearing trousers and long sleeves next time!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...