UKC

I'm in New Zealand - bouldering/other anywhere?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Now then,

I have been in NZ for about 4 months now...is there any climbing to be done on real rock?

I'm sure there is (so am sure this is silly question) ...

... but anyway ...

recommendations?

Cheers
 KiwiPrincess 07 Aug 2009
In reply to Laurie Rogerson:
heaps where are you...wellington?
 loxley 07 Aug 2009
In reply to Laurie Rogerson: i seem to remember nearly all the outdoor shops selling guide books, and most of the staff i spoke to were very helpful.

more than a little green,

have fun
 chris sm 07 Aug 2009

There is a article on UKC which might help you:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=24

Have fun.
 Chris F 07 Aug 2009
In reply to Laurie Rogerson: What have you been doing for 4 months, had your head in the sand??
 Jonny2vests 07 Aug 2009

NZ is a bit of a weird one. I've only climbed on South Island and found lots of good climbing in places like Christchurch, Wanaka and Dunedin etc, but most of this is single pitch stuff. Then there are alpine adventures in the Darrans to the South but the only guide book I found in 2004 (Judge and Widdowson, NZAC) was more a record of whats been done than a real guide (you might get one sentence to describe 500m of climbing). There does seem to be lots of info on the web now though.

So, lots of short Peaky cragging and plenty of wild & woolly alpine adventure, but no Lakes / North Wales type stuff. Maybe they like to keep all that in the North...
 Jonny2vests 07 Aug 2009
In reply to jonny2vests:

PS: The best info we found for climbing in the Darrans was from copying reams of stuff found in the Bothy log books.
 AdrianC 07 Aug 2009
In reply to jonny2vests: There's a new Darrans guide out now that is a bit more what you'd expect although it leaves plenty of room for adventure. To the OP - where are you?
 Tom_Harding 07 Aug 2009
Make the pilgramage to Castle Hill, arguably to best boulding in the world

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...