UKC

Life insurance for climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AlastairB 11 Aug 2009
Could anybody recommend a company that provides life insurance without bumping the premiums up through the roof?

I have heard that Aviva are good but wondered if there were any alternative suggestions.
 Trangia 11 Aug 2009
In reply to AlastairB:

I had a with profits with Norwich Union which has just matured. They accepted me on normal terms.
In reply to AlastairB: My quote from Aviva rose from £7 a month to £70 a month once they'd asked me lots of questions on my climbing. Went with Liverpool Victoria in the end for a slightly more reasonable £40 a month.

Still horrendously expensive though. =o/
 Simon Hodgson 11 Aug 2009
In reply to AlastairB: Perhaps talk to these people... http://www.summit-fs.co.uk/
 Toccata 11 Aug 2009
In reply to AlastairB:

Legal and General imposed a limit of not climbing routes harder than S 4a to keep premiums the same. Baffled, I queried this with the 'dangerous sports expert'. This includes bouldering problems and mountain routes. When I pointed out that K2 would not be more than S 4a, this was 'fine'. Effectively they are excluding climbing from the policy. Althought the two policies I have are large (£1.25m), apparently this would be the same for smaller policies (I spied a loophole).
 Trangia 11 Aug 2009
In reply to Toccata:

Legal and General have obviouly looked a bit harder at their wording than they did when I took out a policy with them 30 years ago. I was told that climbing/mountaineering was OK so long as I didn't "use ropes or similar climbing equipment". So soloing was ok then?
 JDDD 11 Aug 2009
In reply to highaltitudebarista: Eeek! I am in the process of getting something with LV. I have just had the interrogation and am waiting for the response.
 alan wilson 11 Aug 2009
In reply to AlastairB: As stated above, Summits, they advertise specifically at climbers/mountaineers through Scottish Mountaineer (MCofS organ)
 Justin T 11 Aug 2009
 thommi 11 Aug 2009
In reply to AlastairB: Im with summit. they seem very good although I havent shuffled off the mortal coil yet so... proofs in the pudding I guess.
 Gibbo 11 Aug 2009
In reply to AlastairB:

Summit and BMC all the way! I (will when I've changed policy)have dropped my premium 2/3rds compared to Norwich union.
OP AlastairB 11 Aug 2009
Thanks for the help folks - time to get phoning I guess.
marcbristol 11 Aug 2009
In reply to AlastairB: Hi yep second the summit suggestion ... or go through perkins slade.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...