UKC

Polarised sunglasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mantlej 11 Aug 2009
Just wondering whether it's worth getting polarised lenses or not if going to be spending some time above the snow line? I've already got goggles for when conditions apply but will polarised lenses for sunglasses give me any real benefits when climbing in the mountains?

Any advice would be great, cheers!
Stadler 13 Aug 2009
In reply to mantlej:

I would think yes - I usually just keep my goggles for when there's heavy winds/spindrift/blizzard condidions etc. Sunglasses add a comfort factor. As for polarized lenses - the higher you go, the better protection you need, not just for your skin, they eyes are as important.
m0unt41n 16 Aug 2009
In reply to mantlej: In the past I've avoided polarised lenses because they will dim or blank out the image on a camera LCD if the angle of polarisation of the LCD approaches 90 deg to that of the sun glasses.

I would be interested to know if it still applies.
 The Lemming 16 Aug 2009
In reply to mantlej:

I use polarised sun glasses day-to-day while driving. I find them great for removing glare from windows and sunlight bouncing off wet roads.

imkevinmc 17 Aug 2009
In reply to mantlej: Check out this site.

http://www.gosportsspex.co.uk/

I've got an earlier version of

http://www.gosportsspex.co.uk/AdidasSportsSpectaclesEvilEyeProExploerer.asp

with prescription inserts.
 london_huddy 17 Aug 2009
In reply to ian2u: Yep. I couldn't see my old watch wearing my glasses!
Gus Mayor 17 Aug 2009
In reply to mantlej:

Polarized lenses are definately worth it I think. If you just get tinted lenses they are actually worse for you as they dialate the pupils more allowing more UV rays in. Also without glare, I find them clearer, With a good pair I forget I'm even wearing them...
 knthrak1982 17 Aug 2009
In reply to ian2u:

Yup that still applies.

Also SLR cameras with polarising filters attached (though I'd generally take the glasses off to take a pic anyway).
 Chris F 17 Aug 2009
In reply to knthrak1982:
> (In reply to ian2u)

> (though I'd generally take the glasses off to take a pic anyway).

Indeed. Fairly simple workaround.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...