UKC

Almscliff Tunnel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Will Hunt 13 Aug 2009
Has anybody been all the way through the Almscliff Tunnel? i.e. when the main section loops back on itself you go straight on. This was passed my way on another site. I use the left hand (facing High Man) opening as the entrance while this description uses the right hand as the entrance):

Almscliff crag cave NGR 267490 grade 2 length 67metres , extended by royal park middle school ( 1976/7)
Entrance ajoins left end of lower crag just below top of scarp and is a partly-walled fissure. Crawl to scamble down into 2 metre passage. Left is narrow fissure to low exit NW of main entrance.

Ahead beneath poised blocks to t-junction.
Right is Cole passage, tight crawl into wider bedding cave leading to very narrow decending fissure.
Left from junction is Thornton passage, fissure to violent dogleg ( more difficult on way out ) into chamber with boulder choke at far end.Up to left is narrow fissure rising towards surface but becoming narrow.Ahead over choke is Royal park, chamber with narrow fissure.

The guy who posted this sounded like he'd done a fair bit of caving in his time. He said the "violent dogleg" was an utter nightmare and he got stuck trying to get through. AND its harder to come back than it is to get through! Sounds like a deathtrap. Also to bear in mind is that this section of the cave was explored by a Middle School Caving Club (tiny buggers).
Has anybody got any pictures or info about the "chambers" that lie beyond the dogleg? I heard tell that one of the branches went as far as Pebble Wall and Demon Wall Roof before the people in it had to turn back.
 dread-i 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Will Hunt:
>Entrance ajoins left end of lower crag just below top of scarp and is a partly-walled fissure

Just above Pork Chop slab there is a small overhang with a jamming crack through the roof. Near there is a wall, which I though was stopping the boulder from slipping, it may be the walled up entrance.
 Chris F 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Will Hunt: only gone right at the t junction. at 6ft 2 and with wide shoulders I find this hard enough. Wouldn't dare enter any violent doglegs!
ceri 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Will Hunt: I used to play in there- but that was when i was even tinier than i am now. Found a nest of baby pigeons part way down the tunnel one time and considered whether i should take one home as a pet, but fortunatly for the pigeons thought better of it. Their parents were nice ones with white flight feathers.
 johnjohn 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Will Hunt:

There's a deep straight crack right through high man too, which as a kid I'd walk/crawl end to end, I seem to remember.
OP Will Hunt 13 Aug 2009
In reply to dread-i:

Don't think so. The "exit" for me is nearish to the extreme left of Low Man and the start of Pram Pushers. The entrance is a narrow fissure not far off to the left of this and a little down the hill.
OP Will Hunt 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Chris F:

Where did you get to when you went right? Does it pop out anywhere or did you have to turn back?
 adi3969 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Will Hunt:
Hi Will
I posted the description on UKB i think, and it was lifted from Northern caves vol 1 ( now out of print ) .I don't know any details from beyond the dogleg and have no urge to return. Being stuck upside down for five minutes with my mate beyond me unable to help is enough to send shivers through my spine.
Do take care if your contemplating a trip as a rescue would be a tad awkward , but let us know what you find
Cheers
 Chris F 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Will Hunt:
> (In reply to Chris F)
>
> Where did you get to when you went right? Does it pop out anywhere or did you have to turn back?

Now you are asking. Not done it for at least 5 years now. I recall it came out at a partially bricked up entrance, I think just the other side of the easy slab with the pockets to the left of the leftmost routes on Low Man. Helen (Taylor) was with me last time, she might remember. Defintiely partially bricked up. remember the tricky bit was getting round the corner at the T junction, you need to do it turned on your side, right side downwards, as if you try and do it the other way you get stuck unless you can bend your knees in both directions!

OP Will Hunt 14 Aug 2009
In reply to Chris F:
Are you sure thats the same T junction as the one I was talking about? The bricked up entrance sounds like what I was referring to as the Exit.
 deanj 14 Aug 2009
In reply to Will Hunt: i remember it very vagly as it must be a good 15 yrs since i last went right in to this little system , i just remember it was very tight and awkward , but would be willing to give it another go to see how fat i am now and if i could still get round .
 Chris F 14 Aug 2009
In reply to Will Hunt:
> (In reply to Chris F)
> Are you sure thats the same T junction as the one I was talking about? The bricked up entrance sounds like what I was referring to as the Exit.

Shafted if I know Will. Always entered through a hole on the left, get to a right turn at what I always assumed was a t junction and exited to the right where there is a bricked up bit. Never taken a torch to look, that would be cheating.

OP Will Hunt 14 Aug 2009
In reply to Chris F:
You'll have to take a light next time. Where you turn right and go back on yourself is the standard loop. If you go straight on there is a t junction with scary sounding variations!
 Chris F 17 Aug 2009
In reply to Will Hunt: I do need to, you around in early September? You owe me a pint anyway
 James_D 17 Aug 2009
In reply to Will Hunt:

just reading this is going to give me nightmares.
OP Will Hunt 17 Aug 2009
In reply to Chris F:
I'll be around then. Pint!? Which one is this? Jog my memory, I owe and am owed too many.
 Barra 17 Aug 2009
In reply to Will Hunt:

I was at Almscliff on Sunday...

The routes were scary enough...

You can keep the caves...

I need to go and lie down now...

Luv Barra! xx
 Chris F 18 Aug 2009
In reply to Will Hunt: One pair boreal aces?
OP Will Hunt 18 Aug 2009
In reply to Chris F:

Ooooohhhh. Shouldn't we be on UKB?
 Alex Mason 18 Aug 2009
In reply to Will Hunt: Wow there are caves at almers? are they full on cave or what?
 Chris F 19 Aug 2009
In reply to Will Hunt: Can be both
 Fidget 19 Aug 2009
In reply to Will Hunt:

Ooh, sounds like a reason to go to Almscliff!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...