UKC

MSR pocket rocket questions...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 13 Aug 2009
Hiya all
I'm bit of a stove freak and have various cookers from a pop can burner to a base camp style twin burner and grill! My usual one man set up is the jetboil as it is mint!! However, I'm looking for something nearly or just as good but lighter and smaller in bulk. I have a MSR pocket rocket and have teamed this with an empty tin can which fits a cup, spoon and the burner head. This works fine but the problems are that the gas cart needs to pack seperatly and the heat transfer of the tin can isn't that good and ultimatly wastes gas as it takes longer to boil water.
I'm looking at buying the titan kettle/pot/cup and ask the collective UKC if the gas cart and burner head fit inside the titan? If so, then its another £50 gone from my life!
Cheers!
blanch
 CarolineMc 13 Aug 2009
In reply to blanchie14c: You need one of these (when they're back in stock!)
http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16256&...
C-:
 uncontrollable 13 Aug 2009
In reply to blanchie14c:

Titanium = bad heat transfer
have a look at this page
http://www.winwood-outdoor.co.uk/acatalog/Ultralight_Cooking.html
and scroll down till you find the
AGG 2L Aluminium Pot

great pot, light, cheap and works a treat, plus big enough to get your gas canister in it
 Tom_Harding 13 Aug 2009
The snow peak trek 900 Ti pot will fit a standard 250 cartrage and then you can fit a optimus crux lite stove in the scoop at the bottom of the the cylinder. The alpkit folding Ti cutlery will also just about fit in as well.

Bingo the worlds smallst cooking set (i looked for weeks and couldent get smaller)

enjoy
Gadget Girl 13 Aug 2009
In reply to uncontrollable:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
>
> Titanium = bad heat transfer

I beg to differ. It's a hellishly good conductor. Also less likely to get food stuck to it than aluminium, thanks to its very dense structure.*

gg

*can't remember the exact physics but definitely read that in at least two places before. Managed to stick porridge to mine, but only once compared to the countless times in my aluminium pots!
Gadget Girl 13 Aug 2009
In reply to blanchie14c:
Have a look at the Eta PowerPot 1l - a bit heavier and bigger than the Alpkit or the Titan, but more efficient and better design.
 Tom_Harding 13 Aug 2009
Eta pot is ok but the fins on the bottom are pretty delicate and take up loadds of room. Also it will not fit on a pocket rocket (or most other small stoves) very well. The primus stove that comes with the eta express set has realy wide pot supports to make it stable. The same pot without the fins is realy goos and you can get it for £10 if you look around.
 Tom_Harding 13 Aug 2009
snow peak Trek 900 is baswically the same as the eta pot but slightly smaller and made of titanium, its a lovly peaice of kit
 winhill 13 Aug 2009
In reply to blanchie14c:

if you're looking to save weight won't you use smaller 100g gas carts?

just pack something else in the pan, apart from the cookware?
OP wilkie14c 13 Aug 2009
In reply to winhill:
Sorry yes, should have said - will be using the small carts with this set up. The 2L pot mentioned may be a bit too big - not looking to cook etc with it, just boil. All my hill food is simple, add water stuff...
Pleanty for me to look at, thanks everyone
In reply to Gadget Girl:

sorry got to differ, anodized aluminium conducts heat quit well + the blackened surface aids this properties.
titanium is a poor heat conductor (which is relative to the thickness of the pot). Titanium pot's are quit thin making the heat pass through, creating a hot spot, whereas alu pot's heat up more equally.

waiting to be flamed till I manage to google the source

re sticking porridge the pot in the link is anti-stick
In reply to uncontrollable:

http://www.globetrotter.de/de/beratung/kaufberatung/12_info.php?GTID=036ddc...

is in german but basically
the heat conduction of alu is 10% better than steel while ti is 1/5 of steel
which is counteracted by thin pot wall's which lead to hot spot's.

so depending on what you want make your choice, mine is alu
 SeanT 13 Aug 2009
In reply to blanchie14c:
I have the Titan pot/bottle: http://www.facewest.co.uk/MSR-Quick-1-Set.html
There is plenty of room for my pocket rocket and the cup in the pot, although it is marginally too small for Sporks! The pot is definitely too small for the gas cartridge.
The kit is amazingly light but the pot does have a bit of give in it as a result.
stupot 13 Aug 2009
In reply to blanchie14c:
The base of lightweight pots used for camping are all so thin that the different conductivity of Al/Ti/Steel makes no significant difference, you will get hot spots with all.
What does make a difference is the base area. Narrow mug syle 'pots' will use more gas than a pot with a wider base.
Something like the AGG 3 cup (0.7 litre) pot is ideal for solo trips, and cheap too.
Retailers love Ti because there's more profit in it...
 steve456 13 Aug 2009
In reply to CarolineMc: I've used both and the alpkit mug is crap. It reaks of 'cheap', it has a really really narrow base so you lose far too much heat up the sides and the lid is really poor and it also doesn't stand up well because the bottoms are slightly convex. The titan mug is much stouter and has a really good lid and doesn't roll around like a child's toy.

theoutdoorshop are doing titan kettles for £35 and since alpkit aren't doing the mitimug there's no competition.

The etapower kettles are super and really efficient but pretty heavy and like all non-stick pans the surface damages really easily.
 CarolineMc 13 Aug 2009
In reply to steve456: Reckon my Mytimug's a bit different to yours then... definitely not convex and the lid fits well - it's one of the original ones with the plastic knob on the lid. Yes, it feels less 'finished' than the MSRs but for what I paid for it (I'm sure thy used to be £15?!), and for what it's used for, I have no problem with that!! I agree that wider pans are more efficient for proper cooking but when going ultra lightweight for a day or two and just boiling up water for soup, noodles and tea, there's no contest to small space and low weight vs price. But as you say, they're out of stock so it's not worth the argument anyway! C-:
 SFM 13 Aug 2009
In reply to blanchie14c:

Yes. You can fit a 100g cartridge(I think also a 125g one fits) and stove in no probs and there's still room for a pair of socks or gloves.
OP wilkie14c 13 Aug 2009
In reply to SFM:
Thats what I want to hear! I have found pics of the whole caboodle stacked inside but they are on American sites. I've some 125 carts hanging around somewhere but they don't quite fit, I should be able to pick up some isopro carts from Cotswolds...
Thanks
 steve456 13 Aug 2009
In reply to CarolineMc: They have changed shape (and supplier) since the originals, this was one of the newer ones with the metal wire lid handle. £15 vs £45/50 pushes it way back to the alpkit mug, especially if they were better then. The titan kettles are virtually the same volume, just a better shape.

A msr 220 or a normal 250g canister* fits in the titan.

*It's the right diameter anyway, a 450 (same diameter) goes in snuggly so I doubt it's by chance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...