UKC

First OMM, any tips?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben Callard 13 Aug 2009
I have just been accepted for my first OMM, does anybody have any advice or tips. Only doing the C course as I'm not uber fit but looking forward to it.

Thanks
 Swig 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard:

Don't carry too much weight.
Run in proper fell running shoes not trainers.
Eat and drink lots (carry a cup clipped onto your sack's waistband for dipping in streams rather than lugging water around).
 lummox 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard: try not to pitch your tent in a pond.

Tape up your heels.

Triple plastic bag your sleeping bag.
OP Ben Callard 13 Aug 2009
In reply to lummox:

Thanks,

I'm thinking I can get away with about 11-12kg. Will probably wear boots, and the gaffa on the heels technique is well practised.

the distance won't be a problem but time might be.
 Swig 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard:

I think you should try and half that weight and wear fell shoes!

http://www.planetfear.com/articles/The_Mountain_Marathon_Kit_List_481.html
 Swig 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Swig:

Walk the uphill sections and run downhills or on the flat. Contouring round rather than going over hills is a good idea. This is way easy in fell shoes rather than boots.
johnSD 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard:

Take a completely separate base camp - don't use your race tent or sleeping bag on the Friday night.

Don't go overboard with the lightweightness on your first time. Most people who DNF in the lower classes seem do so because they get wet and cold and miserable (and most people who DNF in the higher classes seem to do so because they take on a class that they aren't fit enough for). A decent, dry, warm night's sleep will give you more benefit for day 2 than an extra few hundred grams would slow you down.

Have a range of kit options and decide what to take based on the forecast.

Don't take too much food... There's only so much you'll eat on the hill, so don't go overboard with the number of cereal bars you carry.

Evening food that requires soaking rather than simmering will save you gas, but whatever you do don't be tempted to take a spare cartridge just in case - you shouldn't need it.

I know others go with the cup idea, but it's much easier to take a 300-500ml bottle and keep in at the side of your ruckack. It means you can drink regular sips when you need to, such as on a knackering relentless uphill where there is no stream, rather than gulp sporadically. I usually take a bottle of energy drink at the start then refill it with water and some kind of powder over the weekend.

Try not to worry too much about what other people are doing - just go as fast as you can and enjoy yourself. It will be hard, painful, hard, painful work, but it will also be one of the most rewarding things you've ever done when you reach the finish. Have fun!
johnSD 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard:
>
> I'm thinking I can get away with about 11-12kg. Will probably wear boots, and the gaffa on the heels technique is well practised.

Despite saying don't go overboard on the lightweightness, that seems a bit too heavy... about 7-8kg including a small bottle of water might be the sensible upper limit for a first time. I suppose it depends what kit you have, but ideally your tent should be under 2kg (1 kg each), your sleeping bag less than 1.5kg, and only carry a thermarest if it's a prolite one (~500g).

Best not to wear boots - you will unavoidably end up with very wet feet (either from crossing bogs, big puddles or rivers) from the outset, and boots will be the heaviest, soggiest option. Trail shoes are better than boots, fell shoes are best of all...

metal arms 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard:

All this talk of fell/trail shoes I've got a used once pair of 8 1/2 innov8 trail shoes that you can have for cheap. Unless of course you have mans feet rather than my girly little things....
 mattf77 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard: be sure you and your partner are on the same wavelength. on my first i was fit and wanted to race, my partner hardly trained, although we discussed training etc before hand he completly underestimated it.
so make sure you spend some time together in the hills and hav some practice days out so you know what to expect from each other, and your kit.
 Nevis-the-cat 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard:

put your dry kit in self sealing freezer bags so it stays dry for when you need it

take couple of poly bags to put your feet in while mooching around the campsite, This "dries" your shoes without soaking your already damp socks

leave the pan at home and take a foil container as you get boiled rice in. Boils water in no time.

Stay alert and don't follow the bloke in front. He could be a score runner and you being a C class it could end in tears and confusion.

don't just dib your dibber - use the punch on th map incase the tchnology fails

double check the two letter designation on the control. they are known to put 2 seperate controls close together in simialr fewatures to check you are awake.

In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

My team mate is my father who is a fitness fanatic, I backpack about 3 times a year carrying about 16kg for 30miles over two days (two nights). I plan to train by doing maybe 2x3 miles running a week and a preparation walk about 3 weeks prior.

All your help is really appreciated, I think it seems to be the wight thing. I have a light weight tent, trangia and light weight s/bags, I think the fell running shoes and shorts maybe the way forward, my boots are M3s which are a bit heavy.
 steve456 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard:
> I'm thinking I can get away with about 11-12kg. Will probably wear boots

I can't imagine what a 11-12kg omm pack looks like, even a fairly heavy tent (say 1.2kg each), an overkill sleeping bag (still can't be more than a kilo), full Scottish winter waterproofs (1.5 kg for the pair), a massive thermarest (~750g) and all the rest still is way under that.

My pack for first omm (done long overnight things before though) is currently under 3.5 kg with everything excluding day-time food and a waterbottle/water*. I'll probably add a down or synthetic vest for the midway camp if I can borrow one off someone. Only thing I've bought specially is a light sleeping-bag.

Someone will probably already have said but bring some plastic bags to put over your dry socks at the camp and if you can hack it, put the wet ones back on in the morning to save some weight. Take twice the food and half the clothes you think you need, make sure whatever you have for running is warm when wet.

You planning on walking the whole thing? It's meant to be fairly tussocky so boots might not be a daft plan, I'm sure there'll be a lot of snapped ankles.

*Haven't decided on this either, looking at maps of the area I'm not sure how abundant running water is.

Good pages here:
http://middlepack.co.uk/2008/10/kit-for-the-omm-2008/
http://www.planetfear.com/articles/The_2008_Mountain_Marathon_Kit_List_1037...
In reply to Ben Callard:

We have both been orienteering for many many years, so nav no problem and standard orienteering mishaps.

we have our own dibbers for electronic punching, would it be worth taking them or do they provide?
 steve456 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard: Don't take a Trangia if you can help it. A little gas stove, handle-less and lid-less titanium kettle, a lighter, a 125g gas canister and some foil for lid and windshield weighs under 400g and will boil a litre in a couple of minutes. A trangia and fuel must be a couple of kilos.
In reply to Ben Callard: I know the valley you are running very well. You WILL need fell shoes, not boots. This area is very wet in places and you are going to get soaked!!!

Waterproof everything that soaks up moisture.

You may want to run a little further than that in your training so you know what it is going to feel like.

Pack ibrupofen in your first aid kit, with the training you aren't doing your ankles are going to hurt on the second day.
 Aly 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard: To echo what others have already said:

Get the weight down, you could probably half it and still stay fairly comfy

Take fell-running shoes not boots.

Take poly-bags to wear inside your shoes once at camp and keep your new socks dry

Don't go overboard on the food

Take a foil takeaway container rather than a pan

Take a comfy base-camp set up with plenty of clothes/food/towel for when you get back down
 steve456 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard: Booklet says you have to use their tags. They count you in/out by the physical tags so I think it's just for logistical ease
 steve456 13 Aug 2009
In reply to airbournegrapefruit: What's the stream situation like? Is it drinkable? Can imagine the whole thing is a bit marshy and dank...
In reply to steve456: most streams are reasonable fast flowing so water wont be a problem(you can always use a puri tab if you need it).
In reply to airbournegrapefruit: there is alot of bog land but there a streams all over the place.
 steve456 13 Aug 2009
In reply to airbournegrapefruit: Super, thanks a lot for that. Was worried we'd all be forced to suck up peaty puddles with a straw!
In reply to steve456: lol, no you will be fine. just make sure you change your footwear option and soon so you have enough time to break them in (wont take long). I'd recommend a pair of Inov8 mudclaws (the fell ones not the trail version).
 galpinos 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard:

I'd disagree with whoever said half the clothes and twice the food.

My only experience of multiday events is the first day of the OMM last year and the LAMM this year but in both cases, I had all my clothes on and on the LAMM had food left over.

I'm not sure what clothes you're planning on but I just took a thermal, a hooded fleece and a waterproof for my top. If you get cold, you can get in your sleeping bag. If the forecast is very cold, a light gillet might be a plan. Don't take "spare" everything, it's not necessary.

Definitely fell shoes. Your feet will get soaked and fell shoes don't get heavy like boots will.

Make sure you've used/worn evrything you're taking. Finding out halfway through day one that something rubs is pretty rubbish.

My best advise however, is to take a moment to plan your route when you get your map. I was so excited last year I set off like a mad thing and we ended up heading off up the wrong hill and were pretty near Checkpoint 6 before we'd dibbed Checkpoint 1. Just because lots of other epople are heading that way doesn't mean you should. Didn't make the same mistake this year in the LAMM!

Good luck, have fun and see you there!
XXXX 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard:

Everyone's talking about the spare socks thing. Why? If your last pair got wet on day one, your dry pair are going to get wet on day two. Just carry one pair and have wet feet.
In reply to galpinos:

Thanks.

inov8s look good.

Re heavy trangia, I'm thinking pocket rocket and two 2l aluminium pans for cooking/eating. and a couple of sporks.

Maybe my 65l bag can stay at home.
 lummox 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Eric the Red:
> (In reply to BennoC)
>
> Everyone's talking about the spare socks thing. Why?

After 14- 15 mountain marathons, I`d say " mental comfort " if nothing else.
In reply to Ben Callard: you only need one pan and then carry a plastic mug each. much easier!!
johnSD 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard:
> Re heavy trangia, I'm thinking pocket rocket and two 2l aluminium pans for cooking/eating. and a couple of sporks.

0.8 litre pots should be enough - that'll boil enough for two large brews or a hefty portion of food. You could take two (one for water only, one for making food and eating out of), but you could get by with one.

A good alternative to a plastic mug is a small tubberware beaker with lid, then you can use it store food or things on day 1 and drink out of it at night.

> Maybe my 65l bag can stay at home.

Yup, 35 is a good target for first time, non-uber-minimalist kit.

galpinos 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard:
> (In reply to galpinos)
>
> Thanks.
>
> inov8s look good.

Yep, they are good but have a funny heel. You either fit them (yay!) or you don't, and if you don't they'll tear your heel apart like no other shoe. have a look at Walsh, they may look old school but they're the muts nuts and the addidas swoop. (I've got Innov8 Mudclaw 330s)

> Re heavy trangia, I'm thinking pocket rocket and two 2l aluminium pans for cooking/eating. and a couple of sporks.

One pan between you is plenty. I take a pocket rocket, a little gas cannister, spork each and one small pan which I'm thinking of upgarding to one of these (when they're back in stock):

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16256&...

> Maybe my 65l bag can stay at home.

My sac is an OMM Classic 25L and there's space to spare. I'm not a super lightweight chappie either. Innov8 have a new range of sacs which look good.

OMM sacks:

http://www.theomm.com/products/packs.html

Innov8:

http://www.inov-8.com/Products.asp?PG=PG2&L=26

A decent light comfy sac is a god send and handy as a cragging sac for the second on multi-pitch routes!

Oh, and the OMM duomats are the definition of sh**e. I got a balloon bed for the LAMM which, despite seeming steep at a tenner for a hanful of balloons, was very confy and insulated me form the ground. We didn't pop any balloons during the night, gives you something to do at the overnight camp and if you get bored, you can make balloon animals.

http://www.balloonbed.com/
 steve456 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Eric the Red:
> Everyone's talking about the spare socks thing. Why? If your last pair got wet on day one, your dry pair are going to get wet on day two. Just carry one pair and have wet feet.

Because, especially at lower classes, you'll come into camp mid afternoon and have to hang around in wet socks until the second day is over. The dry socks are to stop you getting trench-foot during the many hours you're not actually running. You put the wet ones back on in the morning

airbournegrapefruit, I'm wearing my 330s, was just saying if you're walking the whole thing then something with more ankle, even a trail shoe, might make more sense

galpinos, I keep ending up hungry with unworn clothes in my bag. Some people can get by but the moment I stop eating I crash. Could do with stocking up on belay layer/race fuel layer I think...

BennoC, Another important thing is to sort out your day-food before hand. I know I could be teaching Granny to suck eggs here but a bag full of jelly-babies with a stomach full of sugar-gloop is bad news. Take some savoury stuff too
stupot 13 Aug 2009
In reply to galpinos:
>
> Make sure you've used/worn evrything you're taking. Finding out halfway through day one that something rubs is pretty rubbish.
>
Seconded
 Nevis-the-cat 13 Aug 2009
In reply to lummox:

You still lugging Mr Pookie your teddy bear around with you then?
 lummox 13 Aug 2009
> (In reply to lummox)
>
>
> You still lugging Mr Pookie your teddy bear around with you then?

He fits very nicely in the side pocket of the KIMM sac, thank you very much.

In reply to steve456:

> A little gas stove, handle-less and lid-less titanium kettle, a lighter, a 125g gas canister and some foil for lid and windshield weighs under 400g and will boil a litre in a couple of minutes

I'd suggest a lightweight meths setup is lighter than any gas setup for short events like this, due to the dead weight of the canister.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=366692&v=1

But I'd certainly agree that a full Trangia is way OTT. Mini Trangia with drinks can burner, and foil windshield & lid, perhaps.
 Nevis-the-cat 14 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard:

a half bottle of red and 2 plastic glasses is a welcome treat at the end of the first day.

a merlot is beter than a Shiraz as it is less likely to taste "bright" after being shaken about.
interdit 14 Aug 2009
In reply to captain paranoia:
> (In reply to steve456)
>
> [...]
>
> I'd suggest a lightweight meths setup is lighter than any gas setup for short events like this,

may be a good decision based on weight, but when one is sharing the worlds smallest tent between two people and it's slashing it down outside it's still possible to produce warm tea and soggy noodles with a pocket rocket balanced precariously between the feet.

wouldn't fancy using the meths inside the tent really.
interdit 14 Aug 2009

surely the wine choice should be influenced by whether the main course is rare steak, fish or soggy noodles?
johnSD 14 Aug 2009
> (In reply to BennoC)
>
> a half bottle of red and 2 plastic glasses is a welcome treat at the end of the first day.
>
> a merlot is beter than a Shiraz as it is less likely to taste "bright" after being shaken about.

Do you take a half bottle each, or does one of you carry a full one? Would it be unthinkable to dispense it into a platypus to save weight?
interdit 14 Aug 2009
In reply to johnSD:
> (In reply to BennoC)
> [...]
>

> A good alternative to a plastic mug is a small tubberware beaker with lid, then you can use it store food or things on day 1 and drink out of it at night.

we have a couple of pot noodle containers (original contents binned).

we mix up crushed noodles, dried veg, chorizo & an organic packet soup.
two bags of this mix are squeezed into the container whilst running.

one bag emptied into container and topped with hot water makes for a good meal. we eat one as soon as we arrive at camp and then one later in the evening.

the same pot does for tea and porridge with raisins, sugar and powdered milk in the morning.

means the water heating pot stays clean.

to the OP.

premix any foods you are going to be making / taking and bag them into portions so you aren't fannying around at camp trying to feed yourself.

try it all out at home before you go.
interdit 14 Aug 2009
In reply to johnSD:
> (In reply to Nevis-the-cat)
> [...]
>
> Do you take a half bottle each, or does one of you carry a full one? Would it be unthinkable to dispense it into a platypus to save weight?

buy a 5ltr wine box, drink 4 litres and then rip the foil bag containing the remaining litre out of the box?
In reply to interdit:

> wouldn't fancy using the meths inside the tent really.

No worse than a gas stove (for CO or other safety issue), IMHO. Obviously, you have to keep the flames away from the flysheet...

With something like a Caldera Cone, you have a very stable stove. Even if you knock the Cone over, the burner won't necessarily go with it.
 ben b 15 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard: Like everyone else said, plus:
1) decent duds. Merino/polypro mix ideally, but something with support and warm/dry /non-chafing properties, as in definitely not cotton if you can help it.
2) a warm dry set of thin thermals is great on the OMM - I used to roll a pair of thin merino LJs and long sleeve top up in my sleeping bag. 1 season bag plus a few layers of bubble wrap and I was always toasty (although getting the deep frozen walshes melted on to my wet feet early sunday morning on the Langholm event was a new low
B
 Paul Atkinson 15 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard: wow, a lot of good advice there. Couple of other minor ideas:
put your day food in the outside stretch pockets of your partner's sac - easier to access than from your own
carry a 500ml bottle and a tube of Nuun electrolyte tablets - drop one in each time you fill: better to get elecs tan just water and I find it easier to force lots down with a bit of flavour in
consider lightweight silk liners as your dry camp socks and put the wet running socks back on in the morning
in high winds keep one map stowed away
if you are an experienced orienteer what do you wear on your feet for events? will prob be suitable for OMM
take one really good head torch between you - Myo XP - or whatever - if you really have to navigate in the dark a Tikka aint up to it
have fun and don't follow me

P
 mark burley 15 Aug 2009
In reply to interdit: And the empty foil bag doubles as a pillow. Forget the glasses and drink it straight from the bag or your nalgene used for daytime stream slurps.
 ben b 16 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard: And always try to remember how much fun you are having. Even if it's only going to be in retrospect! Paul's point about a worthwhile torch is very wise; not an issue on the LAMM when it doesn't get that dark and you'll never still be out after dusk, but it can get really dark (before you get in) on a bad day on the OMM.
B
Anita 17 Aug 2009
In reply to Ben Callard: something else I'd suggest is be flexible about your kit depending on the forecast. If it looks pish you may be glad of an thicker 'warm' layer whereas if it's looks fab a thin warm top will suffice. Dry socks are just fab when your feet have been sodden all day.
Be prepared to spend a long time in your tent!
 Simon Caldwell 17 Aug 2009
In reply to interdit:
I took a small meths stove on the first couple of MMs I did. But I found that stove plus fuel plus bottle weighed more than Pocket Rocket plus 125g fuel, and is also more likely to run out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...