UKC

Compression socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tony 20 Aug 2009
Does anyone have any experience of using compression socks? I'm running 4-5 times a week, up to about 30-33 miles a week, and take care to get decent running shoes after decent gait analysis at a proper running shop. The running is a mix of on-road and off-road, and has a fair few hills along the way. I've got a nagging problem with my left calf (no problems with the right one), in that it often feels very tight and painful. The effect seems to be cumulative - if I run one day, the pain might be at one level, and if I run the next day, it gets worse. If I take a day off, there does seem to be some recovery.

The pain does continue after running, and can sometimes come on at random times during the day. I'm doing assorted stretching exercises during the day, and prior to running. I'm now wondering if there might be some benefit in using compression socks, but have no practical experience of them and would prefer not to run round with knee-socks looking like a prat if it's not really necessary.
 DougG 20 Aug 2009
In reply to tony:

No idea re. the socks, Tony.

However... I had exactly the same problem as you. This was last autumn. I took a wee break for 3-4 weeks. It's bloody hard work when you start again (you can maybe cycle or do some other exercise in the meantime) but it did the trick for me.

(In retrospect I think I had increased my mileage too quickly. You'd think I'd have learned, but I've only gone and done the same thing again, different injury this time but I reckon another break might be needed!)
OP tony 20 Aug 2009
In reply to DougG:
> (In reply to tony)
>
> No idea re. the socks, Tony.
>
> However... I had exactly the same problem as you. This was last autumn. I took a wee break for 3-4 weeks. It's bloody hard work when you start again (you can maybe cycle or do some other exercise in the meantime) but it did the trick for me.
>
I was afraid someone might say that. It's this constant conundrum - keep going to keep the fitness up and aim to improve the half-marathon time, but risk injury, or take a break, lose a bit of fitness, and not get so bothered about an arbitrary target. I'll have an enforced 10 days off in September when we're off on hols, so it'll be interesting to see if that makes a difference.
 Banned User 77 20 Aug 2009
In reply to tony: The wifes just started using them. On the continent they are the norm. I doubt they'll do any harm and may be worth trying as they will offer some support and keep the muscle warmer.

Like you the image thing has kept me away from them..
OP tony 20 Aug 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
> Like you the image thing has kept me away from them..

I might take to running at night so they can't be seen. Or wear them under leggings...
 sutty 20 Aug 2009
In reply to tony:

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/mosby_factsheets/Deep_Vein_Thrombosis.ht...

I have them to prevent swelling and asked the doc if there was something better for when walking as they make my feet sore. I was told they are not needed when moving about a lot, only when resting.

If you get a pain behind the left knee or in the thigh, get it checked IMMEDIATELY, it may be a clot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...