UKC

Hard shell for a tall bloke!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Right, im 6ft6 and am going to uni in loverpool to do outdoor and NEED a decent jacket, it has to have long arms! there is a lot of mountaineering on this course and im not one to complain about being wet but I just can't be wet ALL the time!
Any ideas on a long armed but relatively skinny jacket!
am looking at the Haglofs OZ anyone know the sizing on this?

http://shop.packyourbags.com/acatalog/Haglofs_Oz_Pullover_Mens_Jacket.html?...

Please help!
Cheers in advance
Alex
 galpinos 20 Aug 2009
In reply to The Green Giant:

Look at their size chart?

http://shop.packyourbags.com/size-charts/haglofs_size_chart.aspx

Haglofs stuff is normally pretty slim cut.
 Reach>Talent 20 Aug 2009
I'm just shy of 6'8" with a biggish ape index and tend to find Berghaus XXL about right for length, Mountain Hardware do a few jackets that are ok on sleeve length as well. I can't say I've found any Haglofs stuff to come up particularly long.
In reply to Reach>Talent:
cheers i have a rab xxl down jacket the arms are a good length but the trunk is so huge on me looks like im hiding 10 stone of cocaine under it!
 Reach>Talent 20 Aug 2009
I find Rab too short in the arms, ended up buying a Mountain Equipment down jacket which was a fair bit longer in the arms.
In reply to Reach>Talent:
sounds like mountain equipments the way to go...but soo expensive!
 Gibson 20 Aug 2009

I'm 6'5 and I use a Mountain Equipment Kongur jacket - awesome.
My Rab Vapour Rise stuff fits me pretty well too mind.
 jbird 20 Aug 2009
In reply to The Green Giant: haha nice im taking it you got the results you needed today then:P
In reply to Gibson: what size do you have in ME?
In reply to jbird:
no i did a national diploma so i knew ages ago, just got more info today! the course is a majority of girls!...should be good....!!

If you're going to be doing a lot of mountaineering on this course, I might be tempted to suggest a more robust jacket. The Oz is an ultralight thing, and I'd suggest it's not well suited to the rough and tumble of mountaineering, with wear from packs, rock, etc.

"The Haglofs Oz Pullover uses the lightest Gore-Tex® Paclite® fabric available. Weight 175g"

'Light, cheap, strong: pick any two'.
In reply to captain paranoia:
ok can i make a new one? cheap strong and waterproof!
 Merlin 21 Aug 2009
In reply to The Green Giant: Get a huge Arc'teryx Theta AR, it's meant to be an All Round jacket, so slightly longer, if you wear it it'll be the idea climbing low cut.
 Paul Atkinson 21 Aug 2009
In reply to The Green Giant: I'm 6'5" fairly thin with long arms and use the Haglofs Oz XL pullover as my main waterproof for fell running. Not too bulky around the body and can (just) use the thumb holes whilst running. I must say I've not found any consistency within brands regarding fit - I've got an old TNF goretex shell, old Berghaus winter climbing shell, Rab Vapourise, Patagonia Mixmaster, Haglofs softshell, Marmot ski jacket all of which fit me well but other items by all of these companies are very short in the sleeve or ludicrously bulky in the body or both. I reckon you'll be fine size wise with an XL Oz but not sure I would want one as an all round multiactivity four season shell - too lightweight and no full length zip - unless all you do is high octane activity

HTH P
 Paul Atkinson 21 Aug 2009
In reply to The Green Giant: ps - whilst we have a quorum of thin lanky gits with chimp arms it might be worth listing products which fit or don't:
as above+
Haglofs very variable - base layers and insulation seem short in the sleeve and shells OK
nothing by Paramo
nothing by Montane - grrr really wanted their light weight pile pertex jacket
none of the newer Buffalo (bulky) - a pity as I used this exclusively for winter climbing in the 90s but they seem to have made it fatter - will make to measure though
Icebreaker LS tops lge - just
Rab belay jacket L
most Arcteryx gear either L or XL
almost no MH or ME gear (short sleeves mainly, some bulky)
Marmot and Lowe Alpine stuff often fits in XL - especially good for long trousers without 5 bellies waist

any adance?

P
 Reach>Talent 21 Aug 2009
In reply to Paul Atkinson:
Thin lanky gits? Oi you some of us aren't skinny.
hmac84 21 Aug 2009
Macpac stuff used to have long arms & legs. You don't see too much of it around though
 nniff 21 Aug 2009

Aiguille Alpine also make goretex jackets - made to measure, with a fraction of the number of panels and seams as 'mainstream commercial' jackets. Give Adrian a call and ask.
 Gibson 21 Aug 2009

Large dude.
In reply to Paul Atkinson:
thanks soo much for the help this has made it so much easier! will keep this list for future reference! its just annoying because theres no gear shops around me and i have to get things by the internet which obviously is a pain!
now to make the decision!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...