UKC

Xscape or Glasgow Climbing Centre?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lucy Wallace 23 Aug 2009
A wet summer on Arran means very little climbing getting done! I'm thinking about dragging partner to a climbing wall (shock! first time in 4 years)as need to practice before upcoming trip to Font.
Bearing in mind that this a a day trip from Arran would you recommend Xscape, Braehead or Glasgow climbing centre? Have cheap car travel on ferry (married to Calmac ...), so can bring vehicle, but was also planning to combine with rare trip to cinema (hence appeal of Braehead...). If not bringing car will be getting train to central station. How accessible is the Glasgow Climbing Centre by public transport?
Thanks for advice...
 Andy S 23 Aug 2009
In reply to The Gibbon: oh christ, don't go to XScape. It's not a normal climbing wall you know - you pay to get 'taken climbing' and it's a timed session. I worked at the one in Castleford (Englandshire) - that's how it was there so I'm assuming it's the same at Braehead.
 Andy S 23 Aug 2009
In reply to Andy S: oops, I mean XScape.
 bivy spirit 23 Aug 2009
In reply to The Gibbon:

GCC i'd say...

as for transport: it's a couple of minutes walk from either cessnock or ibrox tube stops (it's bang between the two) and a million buses run down paisley rd west from the city centre with the bus stop right outside the door... either way you're talking a few minutes from the city centre.
OP Lucy Wallace 23 Aug 2009
In reply to Andy S:
That sounds horrific!!!
In reply to bivy spirit:
Thankyou. I tend to be a bit country bumpkin on my trips to Glasgow....
 bivy spirit 23 Aug 2009
In reply to bivy spirit:

ooh and just remembered when i had my brother and the kids down last year they were staying at a hotel on paisley rd west, just closer into the city centre from the GCC and they had a cinema on the opposite side of the road...
In reply to bivy spirit:

Looking at the timing of this, if we want to make the last ferry and go to movies, we will have to bring the car... Whats the parking like at GCC?
Thankyou!
 Andy S 23 Aug 2009
In reply to The Gibbon: Yes it is. It serves as a 'taster-session' sausage-factory. Soul-destroying for the instructors.
 Scottish_Koj 23 Aug 2009
In reply to Andy S:
You can Climb at X-Scape at Breahead we are affiliated with GCC. They use Autobelays instead of ropes, a quick test of belaying, tying in and explanation of how to use the autobelays and you can climb. If you are a member of GCC you can topup you membership to cover X-Scape as well.
 halfaseesaw 23 Aug 2009
In reply to The Gibbon: Parking depends on Rangers playing at home or away. If they have a home game you've not much hope. Otherwise there are usually some spaces at the front or round the back. Don't park on the pavement or you may get your car removed.

Just along the road

http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/film_times/s120/Glasgow_Quay/

Busby 23 Aug 2009

Another vote for GCC, as mentioned parking can be a bit of a pain, you can usually get a space round the back though.

For the cinema afterwards you just jump on Paisley Road West for a couple of minutes and you'll find yourself at The Quay which has a nice big Odeon multiplex. Plus it's probably easier in terms of motorway access as well.

Iain
 Andy S 24 Aug 2009
In reply to Scottish_Koj: so what's the cost and session time-limit (if there is one?). Give favourable answers now and I might actually start to believe the place is worth considering!
 antwan 24 Aug 2009
In reply to Andy S: Hi Andy, When did you work at the Casvegas wall? I used to be a regular climber there, £7 for the day on an 'open climbing session'.

I used to have a monthly pass and do a few hours with whoever was knocking about/auto belays on the way home from work, Dont remember your face though

Back to the OP, You can have a normal climbing session at xscape walls but remember it is designed as a tourist attraction mainly for non climbers
wellmn 24 Aug 2009
In reply to Andy S:

It is often said that the Braehead wall is only open to groups for timed sessions. This is not the case. After a ten minute, once only, induction, you can climb there individually for as long as your arms can take it, on payment of the day fee. It is not as good as GCC but I go there quite often if I am on my own, since because of a dodgy knee I can't go bouldering. The climbing is very samey but the autobelays let you down gently. The lack of adequate changing facilities is a drawback however. If you are with a partner, or would enjoy bouldering, go to GCC.
 Andy S 26 Aug 2009
In reply to antwan: left 2005
 antwan 26 Aug 2009
In reply to Andy S: Ok, Cool.... Just beore I decided to make it my second home! thought i bieng really dumb and forgetful not recognising you
OP Lucy Wallace 27 Aug 2009
In reply to The Gibbon:
Went to GCC. Lovely wall and friendly staff. Shame the cafe wasn't open during the day. Bit of a mission from Arran for the day but had too much fun to bother with the cinema which is a good sign! Maybe I'll go back!
 Fraser 27 Aug 2009
In reply to The Gibbon:

I'd also recommend the Kelvin Hall bouldering wall. It's in the west end but not difficult to get to on the tube.

I was in there the other night for the first time in a few months and they've got some great problems. The place isn't huge, but what they've got is very good ....and very hard!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...