UKC

Toru Nakajima repeats Gaia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chewie 23 Aug 2009
Just got back from Black Rocks. Toru Nakajima turned up about 30 mins after we did and set about Gaia.

Don't want to sound cliched but watching somebody repeat a climb like that, well, I feel honoured.
 Simon Caldwell 23 Aug 2009
In reply to Chewie:
...followed by a couple of clean top-rope ascents of Meshuga, which of course he made look easy
 Sam1991 23 Aug 2009
In reply to Sam1991: Isnt gaia just a highball boulder problem anyway?
 Sam1991 23 Aug 2009
In reply to Toreador: tenner says he'll be back to lead it before returning home.
 Jimbo C 23 Aug 2009
In reply to Sam1991:

Are you kidding - it's 40ft high
 Sam1991 23 Aug 2009
In reply to Jimbo C: sense of humour dude. You obviously didnt read the other thread about this lads new E9 at burbage, where people were slagging him off for giving it an E grade rather than a bouldering grade. I suppose in direct reference to your "question", yes, i am kidding.
 Jimbo C 23 Aug 2009
In reply to Sam1991:

Oh, good
 Postmanpat 23 Aug 2009
In reply to Chewie:
As a matter of interest who is accompanying him? I'm impressed that a 15 year old manage to travel across the world for a solo climbing trip (and even more impressed by his achievements!).
OP Chewie 24 Aug 2009
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to Chewie)
> ...followed by a couple of clean top-rope ascents of Meshuga, which of course he made look easy

Yeah, watched him working the crux on Meshuga. The thing that impressed me the most about him was that he always had a smile on his face and just looked like he was really enjoying himself.
 NickD 24 Aug 2009
In reply to Chewie:
> he always had a smile on his face and just looked like he was really enjoying himself.

Well I don't think the British climbing community will put up with that for long :-|
 Sam1991 24 Aug 2009
In reply to Chewie: Anyone that doesnt have a smile on their face after just having lead one of the most iconic and impressive grit routes in the peak, has something wrong with them. Bit agreed, its good to see that hes having a good time, and not just here to "tick routes". Is there plans for any videos of this lads work on grit?
In reply to Chewie:

Pity no one took a video of it ... or did they?
 Michael Ryan 24 Aug 2009
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Not sure Gordon but UKC have video taken by Pete Whittaker being edited by Dave Gill of SteepMedia of other stuff that Toru has done.
 Simon Caldwell 24 Aug 2009
I think his belayer didn't turn up, and he ended up being belayed by the photographer!
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> Not sure Gordon but UKC have video taken by Pete Whittaker being edited by Dave Gill of SteepMedia of other stuff that Toru has done.

Ah, that will be something to look forward to.
OP Chewie 25 Aug 2009
> (In reply to Chewie)
>
> Pity no one took a video of it ... or did they?

Well, we filmed a shaky video of him on the top section of the route.
 Marc C 25 Aug 2009
In reply to Chewie: Maybe contact the Police - Surely he must have been captured on CCTV
 Alex Ekins 26 Aug 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
I have got HD video of Toru on the 2 E9's headpointed today.
Cheers
Alex
 Conor1 26 Aug 2009
In reply to alexekins:
Where can we see said videos?
 Adders 26 Aug 2009
In reply to Conor1: saw a video last night of him flashing Brad Pitt. very impressive young lad and really shy with it.
 Nj 26 Aug 2009
In reply to alexekins: Which 2 E9's??

galpinos 26 Aug 2009
In reply to Nj:
> (In reply to alexekins) Which 2 E9's??

Partian Shot and Meshuga.
In reply to Chewie:

Gaia, Meshuga and Parthian Shot - on his first visit to gritstone - at the age of 15 ... mindboggling.
 Alex Ekins 26 Aug 2009
In reply to galpinos: See the post "Japanese climbers 2 E9's in a day"
 Alex Ekins 26 Aug 2009
In reply to Conor1: I haven't had time to do anything with the footage yet but it will appear somewhere at sometime.
 Mike Nolan 26 Aug 2009
In reply to Adders: Where is this video?
 sutty 26 Aug 2009
In reply to Mike Nolan:

Probably in the camera and not sorted for showing or selling yet. ATM it would be like putting up all your pictures on the web you took on a day, good and bad ones, in and out of focus, with lighting changing as they pan etc.

Try doing one and see how hard it is.
 Fraser 27 Aug 2009
In reply to sutty:

We're just a bunch of microwave-screamers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...